• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dilbert strip art on HA in 'good condition'?

6 posts in this topic

The past couple of Heritage auctions have included some Scott Adams Dilbert original strips which apparently were inked with crappy markers that have since faded significantly (maybe he should have inked it with the pen that he signed the art with since the inscription is comparatively darker...)  I find the "In good condition" description ridiculous.  so as long as its not physically damaged, i.e ripped or creased, per Heritage it is in 'good' condition?  

its taken almost 30 years to reach this point how much longer till it fades away like the photographs in back to the future?

On 10/29/2021 at 8:42 PM, malvin said:

Heh, I had a similar experience, but when they say good it's not the English definition but the comic grading definition 

Malvin 

so comics grading doesn't factor in fading? I can't imagine a book with a severely sun faded cover getting a mint grade.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:31 PM, MIL0S said:
On 10/30/2021 at 8:42 AM, malvin said:

Heh, I had a similar experience, but when they say good it's not the English definition but the comic grading definition 

Malvin 

so comics grading doesn't factor in fading? I can't imagine a book with a severely sun faded cover getting a mint grade.

The fading isn't due to external factors or poor storage.  It's because of the inherently unstable nature of the markers used.

On 10/30/2021 at 11:26 AM, tth2 said:

It's because of the inherently unstable nature of the markers used.

I've been seeing this more and more with strips from this particular era (80's to mid-late 90's) prior to archival markers replacing standard non-archival ones. Eventually, we're going to lose an entire era (or at least decade+) of strip art. 

The Dilbert's seem especially damaged as the marker all seem plagued by that same unstable nature you mention. I haven't seen one offered in at least the last 10 years+ that wasn't fading to some degree (some massively) due to the tools utilized to create it.