• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to find info on "True Love Promises". Rare Variant of "True Love Problems"?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2021 at 9:23 AM, EC ed said:

Strange - looks a lot like this one, except of course the word "PROMISES" is substituted for "PROBLEMS":

https://www.comics.org/issue/113047/cover/4/

calling @Dr. Love

That's wild.  Like they realized "Problems" wasn't selling well and printed a second batch with "Promises."

On 11/1/2021 at 6:46 PM, Scrooge said:

Interesting, I never noticed! Here's mine -

325038578_Love-True-Promises14.jpg.6bdb5b95b8bce4cd4022e95d564edc03.jpg

I don't have my copy in hand yet.  Is this a Canadian comic?  What does the indicia say?  The "True Love Problems" version is from March 1952.  Is that the same as this version?

Edited by gadzukes

On 11/1/2021 at 6:54 PM, gadzukes said:

The "True Love Problems" version is from March 1942.  Is that the same as this version?

It's part of my March 1952 set. I must never have realized the difference in the title on the cover when I bought it. I'll try to find it in its box tonight and report (thumbsu

On 11/1/2021 at 6:58 PM, Scrooge said:

It's part of my March 1952 set. I must never have realized the difference in the title on the cover when I bought it. I'll try to find it in its box tonight and report (thumbsu

I mistakenly put 1942.  The Love Problems is from March 1952.  

I'm very curious about the title change (shrug)

On 11/1/2021 at 7:12 PM, Dr. Love said:

It's not Canadian.  Same book, two different covers.  Interesting.

That was my thoughts even before pulling the book since we have 1) the indicia from the DCM and 2) it's the same distributor listed on both covers.

I understood that 1942 was a typo. I wrote as if it stated 1952.

On 11/1/2021 at 7:38 PM, Scrooge said:

That was my thoughts even before pulling the book since we have 1) the indicia from the DCM and 2) it's the same distributor listed on both covers.

There are about 40 issues of "True Love Problems".  I wonder if any other issues got the "Promises" variant?

On 11/1/2021 at 8:05 PM, gadzukes said:

There are about 40 issues of "True Love Problems".  I wonder if any other issues got the "Promises" variant?

I certainly will look for it too!

I pulled my copy and it's identical to the one on DCM, no surprise here. No indication that it's a foreign issue. All addresses in the ads are in the U.S. Indicia is as would be for the "Problems" version. So this is a variant, there is no other name for it.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:24 PM, Scrooge said:

So this is a variant, there is no other name for it.

It's a mystery!!!

Come Watson, come.... the game is afoot.

I can't believe that there is always something new to find, or to learn in this hobby.

Who knows.... maybe there is a thread about this from 15 years ago.

Edited by gadzukes

I just looked up "TLProblems 14" on the CGC census and it shows 5 copies.  If you scroll down it shows a "Logo Variant" with 1 copy graded (a 7.0).

So CGC recognizes the comic as a "logo variant" of True Love Problems 14.  

Still it's interesting that it's not in Overstreet or on the GCD.

I punched issues 13 & 15 into the census and neither of them show the "logo variant" so it may be that #14 is the only one.

I personally don't think you can call it a "logo variant" if it's got a completely different name.  Maybe "Title variant"?

Any editors for Harvey still alive?  There's got to be a reason they did this.

Edited by gadzukes