• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressed comics with creasing

7 posts in this topic

I just had some comics pressed and graded.  Some of the grader notes state Light Creasing To Cover.  Shouldn't the pressing have taken care of light creasing?  I know that if the creasing breaks color, there's nothing to be done, but light creasing should have been pressed out.  Also some of the books have Light Stress marks that don't break color.  Thought that the pressing / cleaning would have taken care of this too.  That's what it states on the CCS section of your website.

Edited by Keinpliink

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  There is no guarantee that pressing will be able to completely remove all defects.  It will depend on how severe they are to begin with.  Sometimes pressing can only minimize the defect but not remove it entirely.  You can certainly send over a few images of the book to our customer service department and we can check with our CCS team to see if they feel that further pressing could help the book if they believe that is the best they can get it.  You can send those over to us at submissions@cgccomics.com and we will take a look.

Thank you!

Trust me a good presser can remove almost any wrinkle or crease or bend. This just tells me all they do is throw it in a press with a little heat and hope it gets some of the issues out. I am waiting to see how they do on a book I have sent in but I have an outside cleaner/presser that does an excellent job on all of my books. I will never send another book in to CCS there are just too many really talented companies out there that are way better. 

Generally if you have a deep crease you want to add a little moisture to the book and then press to get deep creases out of a book. I don't believe they do this at CCS at least I have never seen where they say they do. Nothing against CCS but just way too many folks saying they were surprised when they read the grading notes and it says something about creases and bends or dings. So was it a bad press or mishandled after the press. 

I received my ASM 300 back recently with a disappointing grade, and the grader notes (which I was fortunate to receive) indicated "very light bends to cover" and "very light creasing to cover".  No color-breaking.  From what I could see, nothing was visible although I'm assuming they use some magnification.  But when I see "very light", I assumed those would have been fixed with the CCS pressing.  Apparently, they were not.  Lesson learned.  In the future, I will use a reputable 3rd party presser prior to submitting and cut back on wait time and potentially frustration.

Edited by Appleseed1967

On 11/1/2021 at 3:35 PM, Keinpliink said:

I just had some comics pressed and graded.  Some of the grader notes state Light Creasing To Cover.  Shouldn't the pressing have taken care of light creasing?  I know that if the creasing breaks color, there's nothing to be done, but light creasing should have been pressed out.  Also some of the books have Light Stress marks that don't break color.  Thought that the pressing / cleaning would have taken care of this too.  That's what it states on the CCS section of your website.

Sometimes when they say creasing it means the bend may have been taken out but there is a noticeable line where the bend was. You have to remember they are going over these books with a magnifying glass and looking for every possible defect. 

But my problem is when I send 20 books out to my presser and he presses every book and tells me they look great and then by the time they get graded by CGC they are sent back to me with more spine dings than when I shipped them to the presser which tells me someone is mishandling books at CGC. My presser was pissed when I showed him what they sent back to me and now I have at least 6 books that will have to be taken out of their slabs and pressed again and graded at my expense and that pisses me off. I will have to wait another 6 months to get those books back and no guarantee they won't be mishandled again.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:30 AM, cklamer said:

Sometimes when they say creasing it means the bend may have been taken out but there is a noticeable line where the bend was. You have to remember they are going over these books with a magnifying glass and looking for every possible defect. 

But my problem is when I send 20 books out to my presser and he presses every book and tells me they look great and then by the time they get graded by CGC they are sent back to me with more spine dings than when I shipped them to the presser which tells me someone is mishandling books at CGC. My presser was pissed when I showed him what they sent back to me and now I have at least 6 books that will have to be taken out of their slabs and pressed again and graded at my expense and that pisses me off. I will have to wait another 6 months to get those books back and no guarantee they won't be mishandled again.

CGC wants you to send the book back to them so they can press and regrade it again and again, why?  So they can keep making money, and they are all about the money.  

I recently sent in a new mutants 87 that was definitely in high grade condition. I sent it in for pressing and grading and it came back a 9.0? The only notes said light creasing and bends to cover. I was fairly certain it would grade at least a 9.4 without any pressing, so the pressing didn't seem to help at all. 

Edited by TerryB3rd