• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corner Rounding
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Are these considered blunt corners or rounded? I can't take this book out of the mylar as there's a security sticker on it but the corners don't look like they've been hit and there are no folds or creases visible.

Is there a grade drop for rounded corners like this?

Thanks in advance!

20211101_165902.jpg

20211101_165851.jpg

Edited by TCan

Even in sealed packaging, corners can get blunted due to improper handling or shipment.  Blunting doesn’t always equate to hard drop or impact damage.  It can happen by shifting roughly up and down in the mylar.  My opinion, of course. 🖖

On 11/1/2021 at 7:02 PM, TCan said:

I can't take this book out of the mylar as there's a security sticker on it

Why not? Don't you have finger nails and some adhesive remover? I bet the the previous owner did. 

On 11/2/2021 at 2:02 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Looks no worse than bindery defect to me. I take it this your comic? Give yourself permission to remove it from the mylar!  Go on, you know you want to!!!

Oh man, I totally want to but the OCD in me wants to keep it sealed. It came with a COA which I assume is negligible when grading.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:57 PM, NoReserve said:

Is this what is called abraded corners?

Yes.  An abrasion is a scuffing caused by rubbing against something else.  Blunted corners are from blunt force trauma, and will often have abrasion damage along with the blunting and creasing that comes from the blunt force.  The top spine corner on your book looks abraded.  

Grading is complete and this book came back at a 9.6 WP which I think everyone was on the same wavelength on. This was pressed so I doubt anything can be done about those corners. I figured as much, but thought why not give it a shot and see if 9.8 comes back? lol

On 11/2/2021 at 6:25 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Those corners will keep it out of the Mint/Gem Mint range, that's all.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:46 AM, TCan said:

Grading is complete and this book came back at a 9.6 WP which I think everyone was on the same wavelength on. This was pressed so I doubt anything can be done about those corners. I figured as much, but thought why not give it a shot and see if 9.8 comes back? lol

If you have time and money to burn, then I suppose why not?

On 11/1/2021 at 7:02 PM, TCan said:

Are these considered blunt corners or rounded? I can't take this book out of the mylar as there's a security sticker on it but the corners don't look like they've been hit and there are no folds or creases visible.

Is there a grade drop for rounded corners like this?

Very common flaw, especially on newer books. 9.6 is the correct grade, IMO...  :wink:

On 12/2/2021 at 12:15 PM, The Lions Den said:

Very common flaw, especially on newer books. 9.6 is the correct grade, IMO...  :wink:

Yeah I had a closer look an they got the corners pretty much square again but there was a white mark on the spine I didn't see before that probably was what actually brought it down to 9.6. 9.8s seem difficult to find in this book.