• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real Scooby Doo first Appearance

24 posts in this topic

It's a comic, listed in Overstreet and graded by CGC just a different size. Its an appearance many months before the other, its a cameo and perhaps not a first full appearance but it is the actual FIRST by the same company that  will later have the first full title. The page is NOT a reprint. I have the first issue also and its definitely not the first time he is in comics, however it is the first FULL appearance

scooby doo 1 gold key.jpeg

Edited by comic_memories

On 4/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, comic_memories said:

the first FULL appearance

Actually, Gold Key SD#1 is more than the first FULL appearance.  It is the first ANY appearance of Scooby in a comic story, which appears to be what matters most to fans/hobby?

The appearances prior to Gold Key SD#1, like in an activity page or ad or preview, is not a prior partial appearance in the way Hulk 180 is hailed as a prior true appearance by Wolverine vs Hulk 181.  The panel in Hulk 180 was an important, climactic part of the comic story of issue 180.  The buildup to that panel was gripping. So 180 reasonably gained some traction as Wolverine's true first appearance, but of course 181 is the first full one.  The pre-SD#1 Scooby appearance in Golden Comics Digest #7 is not at all like Hulk 180.  Same thing for the ads in Archie and Me #31 (1969), DC Sugar and Spike 86 (1969) and Bat Lash #7 (1969).  All such books actually.   

That and Scooby and the gang's appearance on the classic cover of Gold Key SD#1 made it the clear and natural choice as Scooby Doo's true first appearance of any kind in a comic story.  With the emphasis on covers since the CGC era began two decades ago, Gold Key SD#1’s status is unlikely to ever change.  But of course some Scooby fans may want all the early appearances, related to a comic story or not.  It’s all very interesting, including the other books mentioned above.  Cool to know they exist.

Edited by Pantodude

On 4/3/2022 at 3:28 PM, Pantodude said:

Actually, Gold Key SD#1 is more than the first FULL appearance.  It is the first ANY appearance of Scooby in a comic story, which appears to be what matters most to fans/hobby?

The appearances prior to Gold Key SD#1, like in an activity page or ad or preview, is not a prior partial appearance in the way Hulk 180 is hailed as a prior true appearance by Wolverine vs Hulk 181.  The panel in Hulk 180 was an important, climactic part of the comic story of issue 180.  The buildup to that panel was gripping. So 180 reasonably gained some traction as Wolverine's true first appearance, but of course 181 is the first full one.  The pre-SD#1 Scooby appearance in Golden Comics Digest #7 is not at all like Hulk 180. 

That and Scooby and the gang's appearance on the classic cover of Gold Key SD#1 made it the clear and natural choice as Scooby Doo's true first appearance of any kind in a comic story.  With the emphasis on covers since the CGC era began two decades ago, Gold Key SD#1’s status is unlikely to ever change.  But of course some Scooby fans may want all the early appearances, related to a comic story or not.  It’s all very interesting, including Golden Comics Digest #7.  I didn't know it existed.  Cool.    

How can it be the first ANY appearance?? That's clearly not true.  This is not an ad and  its not a preview, its a Scooby-Doo activity page  made just for HIM and includes mention in the index. It's just Scooby without the gang. and it was probably drawn before the TV show made its CBS network debut on Saturday 13 September 1969 but i cant prove that. I realize a change like this makes some people  annoyed or angry. The market didn't decide anything if collectors are unaware of a significant appearance SIX MONTHS BEFORE his perceived first Appearance. I think its very cool too and folks can decide if they care or not. The question was asked and I  answered it. Those who want every appearance will also want this one. 

On 4/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, comic_memories said:

How can it be the first ANY appearance?? That's clearly not true.  This is not an ad and  its not a preview, its a Scooby-Doo activity page  made just for HIM and includes mention in the index. It's just Scooby without the gang. and it was probably drawn before the TV show made its CBS network debut on Saturday 13 September 1969 but i cant prove that. I realize a change like this makes some people  annoyed or angry. The market didn't decide anything if collectors are unaware of a significant appearance SIX MONTHS BEFORE his perceived first Appearance. I think its very cool too and folks can decide if they care or not. The question was asked and I  answered it. Those who want every appearance will also want this one. 

You misread me.  I was trying to limit "first appearance" in the manner that history says most matters to fandom and the hobby overall...first appearance of ANY kind that advances or is part of a Scooby comic story, which is SD#1. If one instead looks at any depiction of Scooby as an "appearance," including the activity page in Golden Comics Digest #7 (which clearly does not advance a Scooby comic story), then you are correct.  And of course it predates SD#1.  Such "appearances" give us more collecting options for sure!  So that's a good thing.  (thumbsu  At least four such comics, if you include ads?   As you suspect, it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but such is life.  

Edited by Pantodude