• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magic Eraser for Cleaning Grime on Comic
3 3

43 posts in this topic

Gday Cobb,

so I found this YouTube video called immaculate comics and they sell a product called immacuclean 

also the user has in depth videos about cleaning. 

what I was wondering is do you think immacuclean is a something like  salicylic acid?

If you use wet you will need to dry it press etc if you do it but…I tried Stridex pads on this comic didn’t lose colour didn’t do much but remove some dirt. The books were very old 20+ years. Did see it a bit brighter.

just wondering what compound is in immacuclean? He adds it to water so it’s definitely water based.

I threw in the reddit post that expands on these cleaning methods.

hit these links and tell me what you think

Thanks buddy 

Out of curiosity and a quest for nuggets of knowledge I have read or listened to the previous posted books or videos.  Unfortunately I found very little to nothing of substance.  A lot of small talk to keep one interested for the next episode.  There clearly is an agenda to try and self promote.  The distance between professionals and amateurs is a wide road.  

On 1/4/2022 at 2:11 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I clean my books for fun. 

I do not use the magic eraser. Takes of colour way too easily unless you are laser focused on your pressure. I have found much less invasive measures. I also agree with using someone with experience on a book of value. 

What are some of your methods?

I just watch YouTube videos and ask here plus reddit.

I just found this on YouTube using toulene. It’s a chemical in some spray paint it was banned as a substance in the USA for use in spray paint.

AEC62F51-3729-49A7-9BC2-0BCAB8BB1885.png

On 1/5/2022 at 5:44 AM, 815K1 said:

What are some of your methods?

I just watch YouTube videos and ask here plus reddit.

I just found this on YouTube using toulene. It’s a chemical in some spray paint it was banned as a substance in the USA for use in spray paint.

AEC62F51-3729-49A7-9BC2-0BCAB8BB1885.png

My methods are very basic

- basic pencil erasers for small spot cleaning

-moldable rubber eraser for larger areas

- chimney soot sponge

-drafting eraser

Between the four I am able to clean up most of that contact dirt and grime that is seen on the backs of many comics from the 60s-80s. Before I touched any of the books I cared about, I practiced on a stack of ratty torn and stained up books I have. I still go super gentle on my stuff and a professional could probably do a better job but as someone who just does for fun to neaten up my raws (and does to a few books before submitting to CGC), it works for me. I just found that when I used the magic eraser, you have to be very very focused. Too much pressure gouges the cover. Not enough and you dont do anything. The methods I use are much less forgiving. You don't have to be as focused and can just casually do without worrying too much about causing damage.

And the only one I used on coloured areas is the moldable eraser, which I kind of just roll around on the book. I usually stick to cleaning white areas only as that is where it is most noticeable. In addition, a paper towel gently rubbed over the entire book will remove the gritty feel if needing to on coloured areas. Again, be mindful of pressure as certain paper towel brands can remove ink. 

Edited by comicginger1789

On 12/5/2021 at 9:20 AM, joeypost said:

Some of these are all excellent techniques, if you like conserved or restored books.

So, bumping this since this guys videos just surfaced in my YouTube feed.  He has one out now saying his product gets blue labels.  Is this because CGC doesn't know how to check for wet surface cleaning?  Or was it just that they missed it?  I thought, as you said, that any wet cleaning led to conserved or restored label.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:44 PM, thunsicker said:

So, bumping this since this guys videos just surfaced in my YouTube feed.  He has one out now saying his product gets blue labels.  Is this because CGC doesn't know how to check for wet surface cleaning?  Or was it just that they missed it?  I thought, as you said, that any wet cleaning led to conserved or restored label.

Maybe he's not wetting the sponge? I can't imagine how a magic eraser would not leave a mark and I can't find a comic I hate enough to try it.

Sometimes if a book feels dusty, I'll brush it with a clean soft makeup brush. Then take a tissue (the ones without the hand cream added) and rub that lightly over the book.

Mostly, I just love them as is;)

On 9/19/2022 at 4:12 PM, skypinkblu said:

Maybe he's not wetting the sponge? I can't imagine how a magic eraser would not leave a mark and I can't find a comic I hate enough to try it.

Sometimes if a book feels dusty, I'll brush it with a clean soft makeup brush. Then take a tissue (the ones without the hand cream added) and rub that lightly over the book.

Mostly, I just love them as is;)

Sorry I wasn't clear.  It was the immacuclean guy not the dry erase people.  If you watch the video he is actually doing a wet cleaning in the video.