• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Marvel Have Any Horror Titles?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2021 at 2:20 PM, chrisco37 said:

Beat me to it.  I was also going to suggest this one.  1st Appearance of Slutty Aunt May

Trouble (comics) - Wikipedia

It was quite awful. Marville was atrocious as well.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, Ken Aldred said:

They are horror, but very tame, and the Bronze Age titles were, to a degree, cautiously testing the boundaries of what was permissible in the mainstream with the loosening of Comics Code restrictions at that time, but still very reined in when compared to Warren Magazines and underground comix.

I haven't found any Bronze Age Horror that tickles my fancy (yet). I haven't delved into Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, but will eventually. I knew that EC and DC had a bunch of "horror" titles in the BA but did not know that Marvel had any.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:33 AM, Callipygian said:

Those ECs were reprints from the 50s. The only EC title left at this time was Mad magazine.

Really? I thought that EC had a resurgence in the BA. They're all just Pre-Code/GA reprints?

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 11/2/2021 at 10:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I haven't found any Bronze Age Horror that tickles my fancy (yet). I haven't delved into Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, but will eventually. I knew that EC and DC had a bunch of "horror" titles in the BA but did not know that Marvel had any.

As others already said: Check out Warren's '70s horror mags, much better than Marvel or DC's IMO.

Moore's Swamp Thing run is fantastic! 

If you have never read any of the EC's horror books(Tales from the Crypt, etc)  from the 50s, you are missing out big time.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I’d recommend reading some of the EC horror collected editions as the material is superb.

I've almost pulled the trigger a few times. They (all 5/15 books in same format) can be expensive. It looks like Dark Horse may be reprinting them all in TPB format, as they started with Vol. 1 pre-orders this year.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:33 PM, chrisco37 said:

DC Bronze Horror was much better than anything Marvel did.  As you know, there were some really amazing artists doing work on those (Wrightson, Kaluta, Adams). 

I agree. As a kid I found some of the House of Secrets and House of Mystery stories to be far more bizarre and disturbing than Marvel’s.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, Comics4All said:

If you have never read any of the EC's horror books(Tales from the Crypt, etc)  from the 50s, you are missing out big time.

They're on the list. I bought the Hill House HCs recently, and with adding DCeased to my Amazon list, I was simply wondering if Marvel even had anything in the conversation.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:45 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I've almost pulled the trigger a few times. They (all 5/15 books in same format) can be expensive. It looks like Dark Horse may be reprinting them all in TPB format, as they started with Vol. 1 pre-orders this year.

I’ve recently been re-reading them in the artist-focused volumes being published by Fantagraphics, specifically ones featuring art by Jack Kamen, Graham Ingels and Jack Davis.  Just superb.

High quality black-and-white, but digital versions to go along with my complete run of Cochran EC Library sets.

Edited by Ken Aldred