• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Marvel Have Any Horror Titles?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2021 at 7:21 AM, Ken Aldred said:

It was quite awful. Marville was atrocious as well.

I guess I'm in a rather small minority, but I really enjoyed Trouble. I'm amazed the powers that be ever let that series get published.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:11 PM, sckao said:

Man-Thing was written like a horror story.

Obligatory Giant-Size references to follow…

Fear, and Man-Thing, had some of the best Marvel horror stories, courtesy of Steve Gerber. Very inventive and surreal.  Also, some of Mike Ploog’s best art, as it transitioned in style closer to Berni Wrightson’s.  I found his earlier Eisner-influenced art a lot rougher-looking.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/2/2021 at 3:43 PM, shadroch said:

Marvel published Mary Shelly's original Frankenstein, with illustrations by a guy named Wrightson. 

The lithographic-style illustrations are incredible.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Marvels Magazine line was more horror -centric.  As I remember them, the Dracula mags were very different than the comics and I enjoyed the Zombie storyline but that was a long time ago and it may not have aged well.

Marvel had all kinds of horror titles.,

Regarding the comics, many were reprints, but two titles with some original material were

Tower of Shadows and Chamber of Darkness.

http://www.wymann.info/comics/007-SuperheroesFromTheCrypt.html

A few horror omnis came out as well, but they are more character oriented (Tales of the Zombie, Satanna, etc).

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/2/2021 at 10:47 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I was simply wondering if Marvel even had anything in the conversation.

The only Marvel horror story that I recall that is worthwhile is Neale Adams' "One hungers".

I didn't remember which of their crappy titles had that so looked it up. You can get a copy from MCS for under $10

image.png.8efd91f84cc378f14cc8e663072f8275.png

On 11/2/2021 at 8:33 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Some have said:

• Tomb of Dracula
  • Werewolf by Night
  • Ghost Rider
  • Zombies

Are any of them actually horror genre?

Oh, you mean historically. Upon reading the title, I was going to say they've all been pretty horrific for a long time.

On 11/3/2021 at 1:21 AM, KirbyJack said:

Super hero, not horror, but it actually scared me in 1976.

50F02F7D-E26A-4D23-B099-981C591FFE82.thumb.jpeg.4bdcdfd3eee1d58f74245db666d0b685.jpeg

7937A6AD-8775-4BA1-BA76-89B43D3EA63D.thumb.jpeg.0034c25b1c02386ce04d858a275f167c.jpeg

Yup.  Turning the page and seeing that for the first time.  Not surprising.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I tend to pick up this book whenever I come across it…so I have a bunch of copies of it. Childhood book. (thumbsu

It also scared me as a kid…especially since I didn’t actually think Cap was going to make it… :popcorn:

On 11/2/2021 at 10:33 AM, chrisco37 said:

DC Bronze Horror was much better than anything Marvel did.  As you know, there were some really amazing artists doing work on those (Wrightson, Kaluta, Adams).  Definitely check out the Moore ST's in the Copper Age.  Some really good horror there (and spectacular art by Totlebon/Bissette and, later, Veitch).  Highly recommend that title.   

Have to agree. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Bronze horror from Marvel, particularly Tomb of Drac, Monster of Frankenstein, and Man-Thing if you wanna throw him in there; but they can't hold a candle to DC's bronze horror. House of Secrets/Mystery, Secrets of Sinister House, Ghosts, etc. Such great, great stuff in the EC mold, with those fantastic DC artists.

Most BA horror is simply reprints of Atlas 1950s stuff.  After Kirby left, Marvel seems to have flooded the market with Kirby reprint material. I think they published more Kirby art in the two years after he left, than in the last four years he worked for them. 

I'm not sure I'd put Frankenstein, Dracula, The Man-wolf or Werewolf By Night in the horror genre.  They were more like superheroes with a big flaw to me. 

I didn't like Brother Voodoo, but at least that seemed less superherorish to me.