• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Marvel Have Any Horror Titles?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

Any ideas why DC didn't have much of a B&W line?  Their Filipino artists would have rocked in magazine format.

I wasn't too big on magazines myself.  I found two huge boxes of them at a flea market for almost nothing around 1979 and thats how I got interested in them.

My friend had a stack of Skywalds that I'd read but I never bought many new. I greatly preferred color comics to b&w magazines

On 11/4/2021 at 6:52 PM, shadroch said:

Any ideas why DC didn't have much of a B&W line?  Their Filipino artists would have rocked in magazine format.

I wasn't too big on magazines myself.  I found two huge boxes of them at a flea market for almost nothing around 1979 and thats how I got interested in them.

My friend had a stack of Skywalds that I'd read but I never bought many new. I greatly preferred color comics to b&w magazines

I don't know why DC didn't foray much into magazines, but a lot those Filipino artists did do work in Marvel and Warren mags. Great stuff there.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:50 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

X-Force always scared the hell out of me; the writing,art, covers, ...

:wink:

At least it markedly improved in the 2000s. Milligan, Allred, Kyle and Yost, Crain, Remender, Opena.

Lots of talent and great comics.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:56 PM, themagicrobot said:

Frankly its hard to tell when people are taking the p*ss or not in the CGC forums. 

Read Alan's Swamp Thing, not just because it might possibly be considered a horror book but because its so very well written.

Well, yes. That was always the plan, but being considered part of the horror genre piques my interest even more.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:33 AM, chrisco37 said:

DC Bronze Horror was much better than anything Marvel did.  As you know, there were some really amazing artists doing work on those (Wrightson, Kaluta, Adams).  Definitely check out the Moore ST's in the Copper Age.  Some really good horror there (and spectacular art by Totlebon/Bissette and, later, Veitch).  Highly recommend that title.   

Yeah, but Tomb of Dracula was probably the very best and consistent title between the Big Two. I would actually consider that the only "true" Marvel Horror comic. But magazine-wise Marvel was producing top notch product through the 1970's. 

On 11/8/2021 at 5:04 PM, Kramerica said:

Yet this book continues to skyrocket $$$ through the roof (shrug). I tried to read it a few years back...didn't get far. Now it's so expensive that I couldn't afford a copy.

One advantage of reading digitally now is to discover that a key's story is unreadable and the art atrocious, and that I'm not actually missing anything by being too impoverished to afford it.  

On 11/8/2021 at 10:28 AM, Ken Aldred said:

One advantage of reading digitally now is to discover that a key's story is unreadable and the art atrocious, and that I'm not actually missing anything by being too impoverished to afford it.  

Thats what slabs are perfect for.

On 11/8/2021 at 10:34 PM, Surfing Alien said:

The first 5 issues of the 2nd Series Journey Into Mystery have original stories and art including adaptations of some classic horror tales with pretty sweet covers. They're some of my favorite Marvel horror and quite under the radar. Pardon the Brand X slab.

20211108_222705.thumb.jpg.53b9c9fb98149c8555f3d1578117ec27.jpg

Very cool. I didn't realize the first 5 issues were original stories. Time to hunt!