• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 180 or 181 1st app by the co creator
3 3

113 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 10:39 AM, profholt82 said:

Sometimes though, the powers that be can get rather liberal with their interpretation of the term "cameo."

Like when they incorrectly apply it to first appearances?

On 11/15/2021 at 11:14 AM, Lazyboy said:

It can't be a cameo, since Wolverine was a new character.

But here's a textbook example of a cameo featuring Superman from Animal Man #2:

SupesCameo.thumb.jpg.57b78d452952c8923bf222df05c20eba.jpg

And this is still a horrific misunderstanding/misreading of even the dictionary definition.  

We won't even get into the horrific misunderstanding/misreading of the definition as it relates colloquially to comic books.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 11/15/2021 at 4:51 PM, Jaydogrules said:

And this is still a horrific misunderstanding/misreading of even the dictionary definition.  

We won't even get into the horrific misunderstanding/misreading of the definition as it relates colloquially to comic books.  

-J.

No, it's not. 

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/15/2021 at 5:09 PM, MGsimba77 said:

According to cgc, Animal man 2 is a Superman appearance. Its probably right because that seems enough to be a full fledged appearance. Does anyone know if cgc has ever clearly explained how they distinguish b/t cam and app?

CGC, like most folks, doesn't care about D.C.

:baiting:

GOD BLESS...

On 11/15/2021 at 5:58 PM, jimjum12 said:

CGC, like most folks, doesn't care about D.C.

:baiting:

GOD BLESS...

Okay I suppose but what would that have to do with anything here? Maybe it's to imply cgc didn't put much thought into that particular notation?

On 11/15/2021 at 6:26 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Okay I suppose but what would that have to do with anything here? Maybe it's to imply cgc didn't put much thought into that particular notation?

I was just joking. I only have my opinion, but if there is no real bearing on the story, then it should still be a cameo to me .... like if I show up at my ex-wife's wedding reception, pound a few Michelobs, and get out before she knows I was there.... that's a cameo on my part. ASM Annual 1 has several cameos. ASM 18 as well, has a few cameos. As the hobby gets more and more slab oriented, it will become increasingly difficult for people to comprehend much of anything that actually happens inside the book. Plus , if a cameo isn't something deemed important to the SOL's.... it's no wonder people can't grasp the meaning of the concept anymore. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

On 11/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, MGsimba77 said:

According to cgc, Animal man 2 is a Superman appearance. Its probably right because that seems enough to be a full fledged appearance. Does anyone know if cgc has ever clearly explained how they distinguish b/t cam and app?

There is no consistency to CGC's notes, which is why I always tell people to disregard them entirely (well, plus there are some that are just blatantly wrong).

But a cameo is just a more specific description of an appearance, so they are technically correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo