• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Sets

44 posts in this topic

Here's a curiosity:

What completel sets/runs do you own that are CGC'd? I don't have many YET! wink.gif

Completed:

Wolverine mini 1-4 9.8 OW

Origin 1-6 9.8 W

Working on:

CFD

What If? Vol 1

30 cent variants

Hmmm, most of the What If's guide for under $10...you sure you want these CGC'ed!?!? Seems like the grading (or CGC-encased premium) will cost you more than the books are worth. Check your mail! smile.gif

There's 187 books

Speaking of which... Why aren't there 189? What's the story on Inhumans 6 and kazar 16? I really only collect the variants from the titles I already collect, so those never crossed my path before, then I ran into the gaps this past weekend. I checked ebay and the marvel photo journal guide and the copies I've seen were 30 cent covers. Are there no corresponding 25 cent covers?

Those two were the "test" market books that went national. I think they were probably the lowest selling Marvel superhero books at the time that were publishing new stories, and, if they were following normal test marketing procedure, you go wide with some tests. There are no 25 cent covers of those books. The indicia on those two says the price is 30 cents per copy.

Completed sets:

Wolverine Mini 1-4

Dark Knight Returns 1-4

Daredevil 158-161, 163-173 - the cut-off here is just in terms of scarcity of HG copies

Miracleman 11-16 - complete Olympus storyline, the BEST superhero story I've read

Works in progress:

Byrne X -Men

Rest of Miracleman

Daredevil 174-191

DK2 - there seems to be no rush to get #3 slabbed tongue.gif

Manageable runs I think. CGC 9.4 is the minimum. I think I'll hold off from buying any more Daredevil until the movis cools down a bit.

I know. wink.gif Notice I didn't ask for or offer a time frame as to completion! grin.gif

A CGC variant run (I'm not limiting myself to 9.4+, mind you) will keep me occupied for quite a while. 187 just for the 30 centers alone?!? Yeesh! Didn't know there were quite that many!

Ive got the obvious Origin 16 cgc 9.8 set. Will eventually start on the wolverine LS series.

Right now working ever so slowly on black costumed spider-man set from all three major titles of the time

Working even slower on Byrne X-men set as well

I know a prevailing sentiment of some on here is that it isn't worth to CGC a book unless you plan to sell it. What if? Volume 1 is easily one of my favorite runs - top 3 easy so my reasoning behind it is to have a nice HG (since my grading is a work-in-progress) run.

I do watch eBay and 9.4+ copies usually sell for 30.00 or more so value is there, but it's just not an issue.

Finally, I know What If? will be worth big bucks in 10 years and I'll have my 9.8s ready to go. wink.gif

What If? 1-47 CGC 9.8 for $20,000 anyone? wink.gifgrin.gif

i am attempting to complete:

Warlock #9-15 in 9.6 (have 10,11,15)

All 1968 #1 or equivalent issues (have IM #1,Subby #1,IM/Subby #1,CM#1,NF#1) Need Surfer #1,Cap #100,DS#169.

ASM #11-20 in 8.5 or better (have 14,16,17,18)

Completed - none! frown.gif

Working on:

Cerebus 2-12 (may extend this to 22 or beyond one day)

So far all of the Cerebuses I have graded range between 9.0 and 9.6 (including 5,6,10 and 12 in 9.6 - all census bests smile.gif ). Still need 7, 8, and 11 although I have hg raw copies and just haven't sent them in yet.

Will also likely get a graded #1 when cgc starts grading mags.

Otherwise I will just have keys graded. No desire to own slabbed sets unless I have reading copies.

Damn scottish - had to rub that WLS 4 in my face wink.gif could have been mine, if I was looking! tongue.gif

Bygones...

Working on...

Wolvie LS 1-4 @ 9.8 and up

Origin 1-6 CGC 10.0 set and 9.9 set

USM 1/2 and up @ CGC 9.8 and up set

Working on Mcfarlane ASM 298-328 run @ 9.8

McFarlane run Hulk 330-?

Awww...make me feel bad! wink.gif

What do you have to go to complete the Origin 10.0 set? That would be pretty cool! Bugger on the non-Modern gurus (that isn't a rub at you CI - you DO collect some Moderns wink.gif )...I wouldn't mind owning a set such as that if I had the spare cash lying around - it would be too expensive right now and while I like most Modern books the $5,000+ cost of that set is over my head! grin.gif

You'll have to let us know when you have it completed! wink.gif