Scuffing on cases...is still a thing
2 2

27 posts in this topic

I try not to complain on the forums. I know CGC & specifically @PaulS.does his best giving us updates + information that we would not get elsewhere.

But I just received my bulk sub of 168 cards from early April, and as I was incredibly excited to open the package, about 50% of my cards *Yes, you heard that right, almost 90 of them* have scuff marks that will not rub off (you can feel the divot where the plastic of the case is scratched/chipped).

How is this still a thing? I paid almost $150 for shipping, another few thousand to get my cards graded, wait over 8 months to get my cards back - and now I feel like a sh**ty person even listing these on eBay with the scuff marks.

Some are WAY worse than others, but even the tiniest of a smudge should not be a thing that is STILL HAPPENING.

I still have about 1k cards in the grading process; and I hope to god that they fix this before I get those back. 

-This concludes my Ted Talk rant. Thank you for coming and listening to me b**ch. :flamed:

 

 

Edit: Looking at the cases further; some of these are scuffed to the point where its comical. When people say on the forums "My cards are taking forever, I want a refund", I always roll my eyes because I think that's ridiculous.

In this case, I seriously want my grading refunded for some of these cards. Unless I'm allowed to send these back Express to be fixed; this is seriously unacceptable. I'll post some pictures in a bit. 
 

 

Edit2: Here are just 2 pictures of 2 seperate cases. All of them look like this, though. Huge streak scuffs in the middle. How do I sell a 10's & 9.5's with perfect cards and scuffed looking cases ☹️

AB55DB29-4D33-4375-A66E-4529ABB8E3F5.jpeg

BB371F75-0AE7-44C1-B991-3ECEE13FE553.jpeg

Edit3: The cases are foggy because of my tears

Edited by Oreos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

I am so sorry to hear that! Do you have a photo of the interior packaging of the box? Was it the new white one or the older one?

 

Thanks, 

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 11:02 AM, PaulS. said:

I am so sorry to hear that! Do you have a photo of the interior packaging of the box? Was it the new white one or the older one?

 

Thanks, 

Paul

1 out of the 4 boxes had the white; and those were the only batch (unfortunately it was only like 18 out of the 170 cards) that has NO SCUFFING.

Why were the other 3 boxes sent with the crappy cardboard?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

Well it is good to hear that the newer inserts are performing better. This issue is still pretty rare overall, and only seems to happen when the boxes are really mishandled by the shipping service. I do not believe we are using the older inserts anymore, but there still might be submissions going out in the older ones as we finished up the stock of those. My suggestion would be to give Plast-x a go as that would be easiest/quickest for you. If that doesn't help, or they are too severe, please contact customer service for options.

 

Thank you, and I apologize for the inconvenience! 

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 11:18 AM, PaulS. said:

Well it is good to hear that the newer inserts are performing better. This issue is still pretty rare overall, and only seems to happen when the boxes are really mishandled by the shipping service. I do not believe we are using the older inserts anymore, but there still might be submissions going out in the older ones as we finished up the stock of those. My suggestion would be to give Plast-x a go as that would be easiest/quickest for you. If that doesn't help, or they are too severe, please contact customer service for options.

 

Thank you, and I apologize for the inconvenience! 

Paul

The new packaging for sure seems to work much, much better. I'll give plast-x a try, and let my mail carrier know to stop juggling my packages.

Thanks, Paul!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 12:19 PM, Michael Ledon said:

Curious to see how the better interior white packaging looks. Can I see a picture?

 

It's just a thin glossed over cardboard instead of a rough basic cardboard.  Same design.

I can't believe they would still be using the old packaging when it is know to damage the cases.  Also the suggestion of purchasing a plastic polishing/repair solution to fix damage that shouldn't be acceptable in the first place is embarrassing.  I know Paul isn't responsible, but CGC should have a better process for fixing their own mistakes and faulty products than "try fixing it yourself by spending more money, or call CS and hope they can help you get them fixed in an unknown timeframe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 1:29 PM, bgreske said:

It's just a thin glossed over cardboard instead of a rough basic cardboard.  Same design.

I can't believe they would still be using the old packaging when it is know to damage the cases.  Also the suggestion of purchasing a plastic polishing/repair solution to fix damage that shouldn't be acceptable in the first place is embarrassing.  I know Paul isn't responsible, but CGC should have a better process for fixing their own mistakes and faulty products than "try fixing it yourself by spending more money, or call CS and hope they can help you get them fixed in an unknown timeframe.

I second this 100%.

So let me get this straight, the "new" packing insert is still the flimsy cardboard and it just changed color? This is very upsetting to hear....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 2:25 PM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

I second this 100%.

So let me get this straight, the "new" packing insert is still the flimsy cardboard and it just changed color? This is very upsetting to hear....

Yup, same thing - just white and a bit more sturdy. It did work, though. Some had tiny tiny marks but nothing like the old cardboard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, having gone through a similar situation, you will have your work cut out for you. Buy a bottle of PLast-X or something similar and a box or two of Kleenex. I found microfiber cloths tended to leave micro scratches, but the Kleenex didn't. Plan a few nights of movie watching, and start polishing those slabs. The light scuffs will clear off after a couple of minutes, the deeper scuffs and scratches will take many repeated efforts.

I had about 45 that I had to work on, end result after many hours was about 6 that still have visible marks, but because the scuff indents are clear you don't really notice them unless you tilt the slab and create a reflection.

I know the disappointment of waiting with anticipation, and receiving flawed product back. Sorry this happened to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2021 at 5:43 PM, LuckyMouse said:

Well, having gone through a similar situation, you will have your work cut out for you. Buy a bottle of PLast-X or something similar and a box or two of Kleenex. I found microfiber cloths tended to leave micro scratches, but the Kleenex didn't. Plan a few nights of movie watching, and start polishing those slabs. The light scuffs will clear off after a couple of minutes, the deeper scuffs and scratches will take many repeated efforts.

I had about 45 that I had to work on, end result after many hours was about 6 that still have visible marks, but because the scuff indents are clear you don't really notice them unless you tilt the slab and create a reflection.

I know the disappointment of waiting with anticipation, and receiving flawed product back. Sorry this happened to you.

Appreciate the helpful tips! Ill be starting tonight...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone experienced damage on the side like this? I just got this beauty back this morning to find out the slab is damaged :( 

The last picture is the other side to provide a reference for what it should look like.

I'm assuming this is the "new" packaging. Pretty sad to see this is the result. I don't think Plast-x is fixing this one...

Any experience with returns? Turnaround time? 

slab1.jpg

slab2.jpg

slab3.jpg

slab4.jpg

slab5.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2021 at 12:54 PM, ZWT said:

Has anyone experienced damage on the side like this? I just got this beauty back this morning to find out the slab is damaged :( 

The last picture is the other side to provide a reference for what it should look like.

I'm assuming this is the "new" packaging. Pretty sad to see this is the result. I don't think Plast-x is fixing this one...

Any experience with returns? Turnaround time? 

slab1.jpg

slab2.jpg

slab3.jpg

slab4.jpg

slab5.jpg

That's just the case being fused together with glue or melted. I'm not 100% sure how they do it but all the slabs I've gotten back so far all have the same exact thing like in your pictures. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been relatively lucky with scuffing.  Only a few real bad ones, out of about 300 slabs so far.  My biggest issue is the dust from the dividers/packaging (likely not the new stuff).  My god, it is impossible to get rid of...  Then once you think you go it all and put it in a sleeve, another 10 specs reappear inside the sleeve.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mines came in the brown packaging with the individual inserts for each card. more than 50% of my submission has scuff marks, scuff streaks, and they are mostly right in the middle of the slab where the holos are. I sent a message through the contact info option on the website. Hoping to hear back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CGC is still doing this. 50 of my 54 slabs have scuffs and scratches. Called them and its absolutely unfn acceptable. Charles McGregor the shipping manager is a complete tool trying to save a few dollars costing his company and its members 100s of dollars. Fire that man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2021 at 12:23 PM, Kusig said:

CGC is still doing this. 50 of my 54 slabs have scuffs and scratches. Called them and its absolutely unfn acceptable. Charles McGregor the shipping manager is a complete tool trying to save a few dollars costing his company and its members 100s of dollars. Fire that man.

This is very concerning and nothing is being done to fix the problem. The "white coating" on the new inserts did nothing to fix the problem. 

I really hope you send them all back to be fixed. Don't waste your time trying to clean them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2021 at 11:35 AM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

This is very concerning and nothing is being done to fix the problem. The "white coating" on the new inserts did nothing to fix the problem. 

I really hope you send them all back to be fixed. Don't waste your time trying to clean them.

The time frame on sending them to get fixed has been told to me to be 24 business days so I wouldn't get them back till January which is completely unacceptable and then what? They send them back in the same unacceptable holders to get damaged again? I want a partial or full refund. I'll take my business elsewhere. I'm done with CGC's garbage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2021 at 1:03 PM, Kusig said:

The time frame on sending them to get fixed has been told to me to be 24 business days so I wouldn't get them back till January which is completely unacceptable and then what? They send them back in the same unacceptable holders to get damaged again? I want a partial or full refund. I'll take my business elsewhere. I'm done with CGC's garbage.

I totally agree with you but they won't give any refunds. They have made that clear. I wish they'd give us an option to return our card without being graded. It's hard to trust CGC with stuff like this. It's been going on for months with no fix, let along no pop report... after I get my last submission back, I'm done grading cards. This has been a bad experience for just about everyone....

Good luck 

Edited by HomeGrownPoke1
Loading....
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2