• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scuffing on cases...is still a thing

27 posts in this topic

Just got back two separate 50+ card bulk submissions and ALL of the slabs from both cases have scratches on them. I will never use CGC again until they start investing in a penny sleeve for the slabs. It would also prevent hours spent cleaning the slabs of brown/white debris from the boxes. Honestly, the worst packaging of any company I've used (PSA, BGS, GMA, HGA). Really disappointed.

Does anyone think it is at all possible that the scuffing already exists on the holders pre grading? CGC has to order the things from a manufacturer. To me, this looks like carrier scuffing where all the holders - both for comics and cards - are already hosed upon arrival. Perhaps loosely packed in shipping boxes at the factory. CGC may just simply be using stock they got from their distributor. Instead of sending back defective holders - which would put them even further behind and cost them money - they are just using them.

On 12/13/2021 at 7:39 AM, Randall Ries said:

Does anyone think it is at all possible that the scuffing already exists on the holders pre grading? CGC has to order the things from a manufacturer. To me, this looks like carrier scuffing where all the holders - both for comics and cards - are already hosed upon arrival. Perhaps loosely packed in shipping boxes at the factory. CGC may just simply be using stock they got from their distributor. Instead of sending back defective holders - which would put them even further behind and cost them money - they are just using them.

Na no shot. I thought about it for a second also, but then took 2 of my scuffed cases and actually mimic'ed the damage in the box. Same exact spot scuffed. Its for sure the packaging, because once they changed it to the white packaging it fixed it...they just dont use the white packaging 100% of the time (no idea why)

edit- my last 2 bulk subs (400 cards) have been the white packaging. No scuffing. If you get the brown packaging, expect scuffing. 

Edited by Oreos

On 12/13/2021 at 8:25 AM, Oreos said:

Na no shot. I thought about it for a second also, but then took 2 of my scuffed cases and actually mimic'ed the damage in the box. Same exact spot scuffed. Its for sure the packaging, because once they changed it to the white packaging it fixed it...they just dont use the white packaging 100% of the time (no idea why)

edit- my last 2 bulk subs (400 cards) have been the white packaging. No scuffing. If you get the brown packaging, expect scuffing. 

Worth a wonder. Someone needs to improve on the divider idea, then. Line them with a 1/4 inch of foam so it actually takes a wee bit of effort to slide them in the slot.

Yeah. I know. That's what SHE said.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:40 AM, Randall Ries said:

Worth a wonder. Someone needs to improve on the divider idea, then. Line them with a 1/4 inch of foam so it actually takes a wee bit of effort to slide them in the slot.

Yeah. I know. That's what SHE said.

I agree- And they did find a solution...but for some reason they are not always following it...which I dont understand. My 250 bulk sub came in 6 boxes, 4 had the new white non-scuff packaging, and 2 had the old packaging that scuffs the cards.. why? WHYYYYYYYYYY

• Administrator
On 12/13/2021 at 10:43 AM, Oreos said:

I agree- And they did find a solution...but for some reason they are not always following it...which I dont understand. My 250 bulk sub came in 6 boxes, 4 had the new white non-scuff packaging, and 2 had the old packaging that scuffs the cards.. why? WHYYYYYYYYYY

We are no longer using the brown inserts. There may be some old bulks floating around that still have some, but they should be few and far between.

Paul

On 12/13/2021 at 2:50 PM, PaulS. said:

We are no longer using the brown inserts. There may be some old bulks floating around that still have some, but they should be few and far between.

Paul

Well, the solution there is to not use them. Toss them in a wood stove or make bird houses out of them. If they have proven to damage other people's property, they should be forbidden. Not just "Let's just use up what we got and call it good." Presentation is the name of the game for both CGC and the client.

Client complaints of this order should scare the bejeebers out of a company that the collecting world sees as top knotch. Nice thing for CGC is they get paid first, then send out sub par presentations and think people can just suck it up or jump through tedious hoops to rectify a simple matter such as this. Instead of spending time fielding upset clients, maybe spend some time developing bulletproof packing and then DARE you clients to complain.

The only complaint CGC should hear is "I had a heckuva time getting my order out of the slots! Really snug! I pulled a hammy yarning on it with my legs! THANKS, CGC!"

Last thing CGC needs is another grading company to be created simply by reading about customer gripes and then building the better mouse trap.