• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exciting Updates to the CGC Chat Boards
15 15

1,842 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2021 at 7:29 PM, mnelsonCGC said:

CGC would also like to introduce its new CGC Chat Boards Community Liason, Michael Greenwood! Many members already know Michael, a collector with years of experience

— both in comics and the CGC Chat Boards. Michael’s involvement and other members of the CGC team will strengthen CGC’s interaction and transparency with collectors and dealers. We feel Michael is a great fit for his role in this new endeavor, and we expect to soon supplement his efforts with other help from CGC employees.

Hello Matt,

It's nice to see some communication here from the top brass, expressing renewed commitment to the forum. Thank you.

Can you tell us a little more about how you will be supporting technical site issues please? We have a lot of problems around the place, some cosmetic, some less so, which detract from the overall user experience. This morning, a long time member told me by PM that he had only just managed to get onto the site due to the ongoing log in issues caused, I'm guessing, by moving the forum to a new address. There are things that could be done to help members in that position but there doesn't seem to be anyone visible taking the lead. Arch, Scott and Dena used to be on hand for the technical stuff - who will be managing that side of things in the future? I have a shopping list of suggestions to improve the place, if anyone is interested.

By the way, was the incorrect spelling of liaison deliberate there in your communication? Hopefully Michael will be keeping more than one 'eye' on the place, now that you're paying him :shy:

• Administrator
On 11/8/2021 at 5:56 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I have a shopping list of suggestions to improve the place, if anyone is interested.

Send me the list.  I'll do my best to make sure the right people see it.  

On 11/8/2021 at 12:36 PM, CGC Mike said:

Send me the list.  I'll do my best to make sure the right people see it.  

Gladly Mike, thanks. Notwithstanding your appointment, my understanding is that the technical people to whom you would refer any suggestions to are busy on other things and would therefore be unlikely to add any meaningful time and input. That has certainly been the case up until now. Accordingly, I'm interested to know whether CGC will be recruiting someone new from the technical community to work with us on a dedicated basis in the same way that you are now, very successfully, on matters of moderation. Matt's announcement inferred additional resources would be put in place to support you and I was hoping for some more meat on the bones of that. We no longer appear to have the direct technical support of Arch, Scott and Dena who for a time were our well known, visual, regular admin contacts. Are they being replaced? Or is the intention that as Community Liaison you will be the gateway for these types of queries in the future?

In the meantime, it would be nice to see a regular staff presence in the Chat Board Usage Support forum, at the foot of the main page:

Capture.thumb.PNG.5813f79a861e988fe20582866cb3ec70.PNG

There are some outstanding questions there which you could flag to your technical colleagues as a starting point. It seems that a good number of members are still having difficulties accessing the boards, even this late in the day. There are a number of things that could be done quite easily to make their lives easier and that is the kind of thing which I'd love to see the technical community taking the lead on.

• Administrator
On 11/8/2021 at 8:37 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Or is the intention that as Community Liaison you will be the gateway for these types of queries in the future?

I will be the gateway for the foreseeable future.  

On 11/8/2021 at 8:37 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

In the meantime, it would be nice to see a regular staff presence in the Chat Board Usage Support forum, at the foot of the main page:

I have started following that section, and will look  into unanswered problems. 

On 11/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will be the gateway for the foreseeable future.  

I have started following that section, and will look  into unanswered problems. 

Thank you Mike

On 11/8/2021 at 1:43 PM, CGC Mike said:

It's hard to fix some problems without updates.

I know, I just thought the timing was funny as it stopped me posting about technical problems!

• Administrator
On 11/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I know, I just thought the timing was funny as it stopped me posting about technical problems!

If I had known last week that you were going to make this post, I could have postponed the update.  :kidaround:

On 11/8/2021 at 1:48 PM, CGC Mike said:

If I had known last week that you were going to make this post, I could have postponed the update.  :kidaround:

If I had known you were going to take the site offline with an update, I wouldn't have made it :860033678_canofwormsemoji:

Joking aside, I'm not going to send a big list Mike, if there isn't a dedicated technical resource in place to assess it. For some reason, I thought we were going to get a 'new Dena' who would have the time to look into and deliver technical site improvements.

I will make this one suggestion though if I may. At one point the other week, I counted seven separate threads in CG about the same technical issue. We have a technical issue forum here:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/78-chat-boards-questions-issues/

How about if, when you spot a new thread or salient comment regarding site issues, you move it to that forum and manage it from there? All forum issues managed in the one place, accessible to all, with an associated announcement made telling members where to look. There are some really helpful members here who post work arounds for issues but they often get lost in comic related threads and forums. As an example, you could place all the access related posts in one thread, title it meaningfully (e.g. "Can't Log In? Read This!") and highlight any known workarounds. As members get used to you managing site issues from the issue management forum, they will go there and see the suggestions that would help them.

We currently get a lot of CGC procedural posts on the technical forum - generally, new members asking where their submissions are and things like that. If you looked there every day, you could move those to the appropriate area and keep the forum for just the site performance issues that it was intended for. We have too many Q&A related forums here Mike, I think, which doesn't help members new or old. If they can't be reduced, refocussed or reshaped, one role you could play as Community Liaison would be to marshal their use more effectively. Aside of the obvious benefits of order, clarity and eradicating duplication, it'll give you something to do in the afternoons, now that you've seemingly stunned all the moderation obsessed loons into blissful (for the rest of us) silence :)

On 11/3/2021 at 7:29 PM, mnelsonCGC said:

CGC has taken some time to review its chat board strategy, and we have a few updates to announce that will further promote our goal of providing a fun, friendly and engaging platform for every user.

@mnelsonCGC

Matt, if you're reading this I just wanted to say before I log off that it has been a breath of fresh air having Mike interacting with us all on forum related matters today and since his appointment. It was a great decision to bring him on board and I can see he is going to make a real difference here. 

@CGC Mike

Mike - you can pay me later. Pounds though, remember, none of that dollar rubbish. 

On 11/8/2021 at 2:09 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

@mnelsonCGC

Matt, if you're reading this I just wanted to say before I log off that it has been a breath of fresh air having Mike interacting with us all on forum related matters today and since his appointment. It was a great decision to bring him on board and I can see he is going to make a real difference here. 

@CGC Mike

Mike - you can pay me later. Pounds though, remember, none of that dollar rubbish. 

:golfclap:

On 11/9/2021 at 6:26 PM, batman_fan said:

What happened to Mr B?

• Bedrock set up a joke sales thread in the sales thread area.
  • A forum user, (Note: NOT admin - humped the button and complained)
  • Admin agreed with the complaint and moderated the sales thread.
  • Basically - Someone told him, "No"
  • He thought that it was unfair. 
  • Bedrock called CGC Headquarters
  • I want to believe that he sounded like Cameron Frye impersonating Sloan Peterson's Dad in Ferris Bueller when he spoke to CGC
  • He wanted the boards overhauled and wanted Dena and others like Mike and Sharon gone.
  • Bedrock did not get his own way so he took his ball and went home to have a pow wow with those that agreed with him.

For anyone that likes to private message, text, email, and the like... 

Did I sum it up as succinctly as possible?