• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exciting Updates to the CGC Chat Boards
15 15

1,842 posts in this topic

@RockMyAmadeus Something to say?  Saw you liked another round of the Bedrock's misguided posts. 

I am exhausted... going to go to bed and get up earlier to get something done. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/10/2021 at 9:22 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Buzz is trolling for drama IMO. Even calling out RMA for even liking @MrBedrock's very succinct response.  Many of you missed Richard's point entirely, completely, and were much more interested in dissecting the chain of events and assigning blame like this is some sort of social accounting exercise. Buzz is "exhausted" puh-lease :1051834680_headpatemoji:.

So let me break this down in actual factual terms:

• absentee moderation and administration of the boards on the part of CGC  placed an undo burden on unpaid volunteer moderators.  
  • Everything that occurred on the boards, that has been simmering to a boil for 18 months (not just the specific event with Richard) finally came to a head, and Richard, very publicly used his influence to bubble this up to Matt Nelson, advocating for CGC to employ dedicated Moderation resources to the boards.
  • a month later, we have CGC Mike. He seems to be taking an active role and operating in a much more transparent and pro-active manner than I've ever witnessed, even in the days of Arch. CGC Mike is inheriting all this baggage, and it's his responsibility to address it going forward, but it's not his fault either as to how we got here. 

Will Richard come back to boards? Who knows, I can't speak for Richard, but I do know Richard well enough that I'm confident he's doing just fine without the boards and some of you, perhaps better even.  That was also also his point.

at the end of the day, what's most important-  in the last few days we have a couple dozen more emoji's to play with. :313931314_peaceemoji: You are welcome. :1514325239_yeehawemoji:

Many of us have been pointing out how the lack of paid resources has had a negative affect on the boards over recent years. I have sent countless polite, constructive messages to CGC staff on this as well as advocating publicly for greater site support. I do not know Mr B, but he's clearly a board member of some standing and a figure in the comic collecting community. I tried to diffuse some of the anger that was coming across when this all kicked off. My take is that Mr B lost his head and people who were not at fault ended up getting bashed. If I may say, your summary is very favourably edited and has an air of 'the end justifies the means' about it, as if we should all now be grateful that Mr B made some noise and we now have Mike as a result. I don't know if that is true. But he did not go about things in a calm and dignified manner, making a virtue almost of being aggressive. Some of his posts to the volunteers and admin staff were - to me at least - unacceptable. He would have been better to approach Matt directly, and vent his anger to the right people - the paymasters. 

I've tried to embrace the fact that we now have CGC Mike on board. It's a positive step. A break with the past. CGC Management would do well, in my opinion, to make a public apology for the lack of resources here, and acknowledge what that lead to. Mr B, in my opinion, would do well to make an apology for some of the language he used. People make mistakes, and exercise bad judgment on occasion. No one is perfect. But you make a mistake, reflect, and make good. Then you can move on.

On 11/10/2021 at 4:22 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Buzz is trolling for drama IMO. Even calling out RMA for even liking @MrBedrock's very succinct response.  Many of you missed Richard's point entirely, completely, and were much more interested in dissecting the chain of events and assigning blame like this is some sort of social accounting exercise. Buzz is "exhausted" puh-lease :1051834680_headpatemoji:.

So let me break this down in actual factual terms:

• absentee moderation and administration of the boards on the part of CGC  placed an undo burden on unpaid volunteer moderators.  
  • Everything that occurred on the boards, that has been simmering to a boil for 18 months (not just the specific event with Richard) finally came to a head, and Richard, very publicly used his influence to bubble this up to Matt Nelson, advocating for CGC to employ dedicated Moderation resources to the boards.
  • a month later, we have CGC Mike. He seems to be taking an active role and operating in a much more transparent and pro-active manner than I've ever witnessed, even in the days of Arch. CGC Mike is inheriting all this baggage, and it's his responsibility to address it going forward, but it's not his fault either as to how we got here. 

Will Richard come back to boards? Who knows, I can't speak for Richard, but I do know Richard well enough that I'm confident he's doing just fine without the boards and some of you, perhaps better even.  That was also also his point.

at the end of the day, what's most important-  in the last few days we have a couple dozen more emoji's to play with. :313931314_peaceemoji: You are welcome. :1514325239_yeehawemoji:

RMA has written me several emails at length.  While I would not share his words from personal emails I do say that the very public passive aggressiveness of leaving emojis instead of what is on your mind readily noticeable by everyone.  So, if RMA has something to say, he should say it instead of the constant hiding in the shadows.  Poop or get off the pot. 

As far as Richard's point.  I got it.  I understood it.  I disagree with it.  I am not trolling.  I am overtly saying that Richard's sentiments came from the voice that sounded like that of a spoiled child not getting his way.   He even said in that old moderation thread, that he wanted Dena, Mike and Sharon, 'gone.'

As far as it coming to a head?  Stop talking about off limit topics, stop being cute and trying to sneak it in.  Stop trying to find loopholes and perhaps you won't get moderated.   Richard was told, "no bueno" and had a public meltdown.  For those that are constantly being moderated, take a good look in the mirror.    It would be easier not to go through the drama.  So, instead of placing blame on people's reaction, try to figure out what caused that reaction in the first place.   

So no, and I really do not care about the size of someone's collection, purchasing power, or status in the industry.   I found his temper tantrum to be a childish bore to the point that when I found out that he is the only guy out there that has a comic book I want, I chose not to buy the comic book and live without it.  I don't feel the need to feed the pockets of a temper tantrum.  @onlyweaknesskryptonite can verify that as he found the book I've been looking for in Bedrock's store.    I declined.   I find the behavior distasteful and something I want little to do with. 

Trolling?  No.  Trolling is when you have a little sly smile on your face in an effort to gain a reaction.  React, don't react.  It matters little.  I shrug and choose to no longer find use for the guy but, if someone asks, I will call out that situation for what it was. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/10/2021 at 4:54 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Many of us have been pointing out how the lack of paid resources has had a negative affect on the boards over recent years. I have sent countless polite, constructive messages to CGC staff on this as well as advocating publicly for greater site support. I do not know Mr B, but he's clearly a board member of some standing and a figure in the comic collecting community. I tried to diffuse some of the anger that was coming across when this all kicked off. My take is that Mr B lost his head and people who were not at fault ended up getting bashed. If I may say, your summary has an air of 'the end justifies the means' about it, as if we should all now be grateful that Mr B made some noise and we now have Mike as a result. I don't know if that is true. But he did not go about things in a calm and dignified manner, making a virtue almost of being aggressive. Some of his posts to the volunteers and admin staff were - to me at least - unacceptable. He would have been better to approach Matt directly, and vent his anger to the right people - the paymasters. 

I've tried to embrace the fact that we now have CGC Mike on board. It's a positive step. A break with the past. CGC Management would do well, in my opinion, to make a public apology for the lack of resources here, and acknowledge what that lead to. Mr B, in my opinion, would do well to make an apology for some of the language he used. People make mistakes, and exercise bad judgment on occasion. No one is perfect. But you make a mistake, reflect, and make good. Then you can move on.

Maybe it is the Brit in you.  You said it more eloquently than I did. 

@Get Marwood & I I see your point, and I agree with much of it, but my point is: CGC Mike, and all parties involved would like to move on. As a board member I don't require a public apology from Matt, Dena, Sharon, Richard, the lawyer guy, or anyone else. and don't assume the parties involved haven't communicated directly or indirectly with each other just because it wasn't done "publicly"  I know they have to some extent.  I know it's fashionable in social media to prostrate oneself and  go through some sort of self flagellation exercise but is that really necessary? I'm not the aggrieved party aside from the general erosion of the boards in recent years, but the posters that remain and promote a lot of toxicity and drama bear some responsibility as well.

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 11/10/2021 at 10:14 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

@Get Marwood & I I see your point, and I agree with much of it, but my point is: CGC Mike, and all parties involved would like to move on. As a board member I don't require a public apology from Matt, Dena, Sharon, Richard, the lawyer guy, or anyone else. and don't assume the parties involved haven't communicated directly or indirectly with each other just because it wasn't done "publicly"  I know they have to some extent.  I know it's fashionable in social media to prostrate oneself and  go through some sort of self flagellation exercise but is that really necessary? I'm not the aggrieved party aside from the geneeral errosion of the boards in recent years, but the poster that remain and promote a lot of toxicity  and drama bear some responsibility as well.

I see the point in your last sentence Legion, yes. One of the challenges of being a member of a community like this is knowing when to speak and when to say silent. We don't always get it right. I do think it helps though for otherwise level headed people to show that they have reflected and made up after blow ups like these. Being a community, those not directly involved might want to chip in with their thoughts, especially in defence of those who they feel may have been unfairly maligned. It is a chat forum after all, entirely natural. The trick, I think, is to separate those who you think are trying to help, genuinely, from those who are looking to stir the pot or, shall we say, raise their own profile. And some people are clearly just lonely, looking for any human interaction they can find. Maybe I'm in that last category hm

I like it when people get on. Mr B has a formidable board following, knowledge and history. I'd like to see him here, posting still. Is there a way for that to happen? I think so.

I'll step back from this discussion now, though, to show that my intentions are decent. My final contribution is this simple suggestion - meeting people half way with apologies is a potentially productive way forward. That's got to be better than festering animosity, surely?

On 11/10/2021 at 4:08 AM, Buzzetta said:

Maybe it is the Brit in you.  You said it more eloquently than I did. 

well we agree on something. If all message boards were run by the English, maybe that wouldn't be the worst thing. So long as they don't talk about silly stuff like soccer. :960450673_cheersemoji: