• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Chicago - July 7-10, 2022
1 1

67 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2022 at 1:45 PM, Mike Bray said:

Couple of wall pics and a couple of show pickups 

006C5252-595C-4FAE-8C42-9F58C5F82C29.jpeg

2EB4230C-602D-4037-8361-082CA5AB2492.jpeg

E2ADA24F-06E1-44AC-B9A5-FD300DDF5AFB.jpeg

4B546072-1BFA-48FD-BC59-C913D4EFE452.jpeg

D9DC202C-E834-4613-84E4-F50F62FEE196.jpeg

F8359FA3-6C9D-45D4-9DAA-F36C0EA65A23.jpeg

5ED4BD20-87D0-418A-B623-1DD996CDD5C0.jpeg

Thanks for posting. I’d be all over that Spotlight if I were there. Chicago used to be THE show for buying funny books. Wish I were there, have fun!

On 7/10/2022 at 12:00 AM, fastballspecial said:

Did you do Thursday as well?

No my show was only Saturday - I did stop by fan expo on Thursday before the open 

Well I can give you a report but my perspective is a bit different since I was there as an invited guest and setup in the Comics Pro area;  but I can tell you as someone who collects Golden Age Comics there were some gems in the room.   Dale and Terry had great selections and I picked up a few things including a couple from dealers I hadn't bought from before.   I picked up some CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES, and ALL FLASH COMICS and a BATMAN #19 and came really close to grabbing a BATMAN #6.

Sales wise for me (and again different as an artist) I can say that foot traffic was stronger than the Wizard Shows with Preview night on Thursday being our second busiest sales day of the show, Saturday was the juggernaut with Friday coming in third.  Now I've been on the record saying I really dislike the celebrity shows but let's be honest that's what San Diego and New York have become.   At least with this show you had many celebs that crossed over with comics culture.  A fan who got a Jon Bernthal photo autographed and then as he passed my table and saw a Ghost Rider I'd done he ordered a Punisher Commission -- so it wasn't a case of someone not having any money left over after buying autographs.

The Show was well organized, family friendly and I saw a lot of happy kids with their parents enjoying it.  I walked the con floor a couple of times and I thought it was an improvement over Wizard, no empty tables, I didn't see any fortune tellers and if there were insurance companies I didn't see them.  A nicely done show in a great area.

GHOST RIDER.jpeg

On 7/11/2022 at 10:42 AM, AndyFish said:

Well I can give you a report but my perspective is a bit different since I was there as an invited guest and setup in the Comics Pro area;  but I can tell you as someone who collects Golden Age Comics there were some gems in the room.   Dale and Terry had great selections and I picked up a few things including a couple from dealers I hadn't bought from before.   I picked up some CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES, and ALL FLASH COMICS and a BATMAN #19 and came really close to grabbing a BATMAN #6.

Sales wise for me (and again different as an artist) I can say that foot traffic was stronger than the Wizard Shows with Preview night on Thursday being our second busiest sales day of the show, Saturday was the juggernaut with Friday coming in third.  Now I've been on the record saying I really dislike the celebrity shows but let's be honest that's what San Diego and New York have become.   At least with this show you had many celebs that crossed over with comics culture.  A fan who got a Jon Bernthal photo autographed and then as he passed my table and saw a Ghost Rider I'd done he ordered a Punisher Commission -- so it wasn't a case of someone not having any money left over after buying autographs.

The Show was well organized, family friendly and I saw a lot of happy kids with their parents enjoying it.  I walked the con floor a couple of times and I thought it was an improvement over Wizard, no empty tables, I didn't see any fortune tellers and if there were insurance companies I didn't see them.  A nicely done show in a great area.

GHOST RIDER.jpeg

Thanks for your thoughts. I, as well am a GA buyer. I sure miss the hey day of this show when the place was packed with vintage comic dealers. Both the big guys as well as the small tables with just other collectors unloading old books to buy more. Sounds like something for every one and you had a good time.

If you feel like it, post a couple pictures of your scores…