• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for first ever sale.
2 2

17 posts in this topic

I've been only buying for my first few weeks, but now I have some decent quality dupes in my collection that I want to sell. None are of much value so I'm fairly sure that it's not worth slabbing any of these, but my question is how does one maximize income.  I am patient and not in a hurry. 

1) What are the pros and cons of using something like this board versus Ebay?

2) Would no reserve auction actually maybe increase value?

3)  What's the best way to determine pricing?

4) Is there a trick to cheap packaging and shipping?  What do others use?

I'm sure there are numerous questions I'm missing simply because I am unaware, and I am certain this discussion has come up before so I beg the tolerance of regulars.

Thanks to all that offer advice!

JP

firstsale.jpg

The board does not charge fees. However, you reach a much smaller audience. And generally, if a book is selling on ebay for $20, here you probably want to list for $15 or so (again because you don't have fees). This applies to books like you have. For highly desired books or rarer books, charging closer to ebay prices will likely still result in a sale. 

Potentially. You could have a bid war and two or three people that need the book bidding it up. If you put a reserve on a book, especially a common or filler book, I would stay away personally as a bidder. But that is just me. Even on higher value books, if there is a resevre, I always assume it is too high and don't bother bidding. Maybe I am missing out but that is just my practice as a buyer.

Look at ebay sales for books in similar condition. For graded books, use some sites like cvrprice and Go Collect. For rarer Golden age books, it can be tough and might require more research. 

Thick cardboard and in secure packaging. I have used mailing envelopes for 2-3 comics, and sturdy boxes for 10+ comics. I secure the books so when you shake such packages, the books dont shake around. A quick Youtube search will yield plenty of tutorials. As for cheap tricks, reuse! Save cardboard and such from your purchases and use them to ship your own stuff. I rarely need cardboard for comics and the only money I spend on shipping materials is the envelopes which are cheap and boxes for larger packages (of which I also often have as I reuse materials). 

I'm sure there are numerous questions I'm missing simply because I am unaware, and I am certain this discussion has come up before so I beg the tolerance of regulars.

Edited by comicginger1789

On 11/4/2021 at 11:08 AM, comicginger1789 said:

The board does not charge fees. However, you reach a much smaller audience. And generally, if a book is selling on ebay for $20, here you probably want to list for $15 or so (again because you don't have fees). This applies to books like you have. For highly desired books or rarer books, charging closer to ebay prices will likely still result in a sale. 

Potentially. You could have a bid war and two or three people that need the book bidding it up. If you put a reserve on a book, especially a common or filler book, I would stay away personally as a bidder. But that is just me. Even on higher value books, if there is a resevre, I always assume it is too high and don't bother bidding. Maybe I am missing out but that is just my practice as a buyer.

Look at ebay sales for books in similar condition. For graded books, use some sites like cvrprice and Go Collect. For rarer Golden age books, it can be tough and might require more research. 

Thick cardboard and in secure packaging. I have used mailing envelopes for 2-3 comics, and sturdy boxes for 10+ comics. I secure the books so when you shake such packages, the books dont shake around. A quick Youtube search will yield plenty of tutorials. As for cheap tricks, reuse! Save cardboard and such from your purchases and use them to ship your own stuff. I rarely need cardboard for comics and the only money I spend on shipping materials is the envelopes which are cheap and boxes for larger packages (of which I also often have as I reuse materials). 

Great info. Thanks!

On 11/4/2021 at 8:08 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I ship in an envelope too when it's only a few books.  Make sure you (when I say "you", I mean OP) use like two solid layers of cardboard and sandwich the books in the middle.  Use blue painters tape to secure the books to the middle of the cardboard leaving about an inch all around in case the book should happen to fall on a side or corner.  Don't ever secure books with packaging tape because it's a pain to remove and runs the risk of damaging the book.  At bare minimum it means the bag the book came in is going to be unusable.

There are numerous Facebook Groups for Buy/Sell/Trade of comic books, (there are also numerous comic book forums that do not allow sales) I have sold numerous books on Facebook with no issues, there are no fees other than the 2.9% + .30 cents for PayPal.

Always use PayPal Goods and Services.

Ship Priority Mail, it comes with $50.00 insurance and tracking, never had anybody complain about shipping costs. As already stated, the books should be sandwiched between two pieces of thick cardboard and the cardboard should be taped (painters tape) horizontally and vertically so the books do not move in the sandwich, the cardboard should be cut slightly larger than the books to prevent them from getting dinged. I am able to fit up to three books in a flat rate envelope ($8.70) and 10+ books in a medium flat rate box. ($16.25). When using a box be sure to wrap the entire sandwiched book(s) in bubble wrap so they do not move and will not get damaged during handling by USPS.

I use eBay Sold Auctions to see FMV for my books (in the same grade), you can also combine that with looking at selling prices on https://www.mycomicshop.com, their prices are usually higher than what books actually sell for on eBay but you can get an idea of what your LCS may be selling them for. (Do not use consignment prices) so you have a high/low to go by.

The biggest thing here is to grade the books properly, better to undergrade than to overgrade. You can learn to grade by using the Overstreet Grading Guide and by posting books in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" section. You write down the defects you see and assign a grade, then post the book and see if the group agrees with you, if they do not you can ask why, you can also just view books in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" section to see if you agree with the group.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

https://gemstonepub.com/the-overstreet-guide-to-grading-comics-6th-edition/

I only sell on the boards now, after getting tired of feebay’s 💩.  It’s a smaller audience, but a more genuine one.  I prefer to sell my collection to other collectors.  That way, I know the comics are most likely going to a good home. @sevans1979

Edited by Galen130

On 11/7/2021 at 12:24 PM, Galen130 said:

I only sell on the boards now, after getting tired of feebay’s 💩.  It’s a smaller audience, but a more genuine one.  I prefer to sell my collection to other collectors.  That way, I know the comics are most likely going to a good home. @sevans1979

I like that idea and think I'll do that for my first group of RAW sales.  I did set up an Auction on Ebay for my Black Lightning 1 already though.  It was my first highly impulsive buy and I'm not too concerned if I take a loss as I would rather be patient and get a CGC 9.8 instead of a 9.8 from that other company that shall not be named.  It's always interesting to watch an auction at the end no matter what :)

On 11/7/2021 at 11:18 AM, Joe Peck said:

I like that idea and think I'll do that for my first group of RAW sales.  I did set up an Auction on Ebay for my Black Lightning 1 already though.  It was my first highly impulsive buy and I'm not too concerned if I take a loss as I would rather be patient and get a CGC 9.8 instead of a 9.8 from that other company that shall not be named.  It's always interesting to watch an auction at the end no matter what :)

Just remember to read the rules about starting sales threads.  I started mine July 2020 after reading the rules.  It’s over 100 pages now and Moderation hasn’t found a reason to warn me about any violations…yet.  It takes work, but it’s fun too. 👍

My experience selling on eBay is that I get better feedback by shipping fast and packing well. I paid for Gemini mailers - I used to reuse the ones I got when I bought books (and I still do that of course), but I was running out so I paid $50 for 50 of them. I charge $6 to ship a book and I always ship first class - I hate receiving books Media Mail, and I won't ship that way - so it costs me about $4.50 for the label depending on where it's going, $1 for the mailer and a few cents on average per order for tape, paper, ink for printing labels, etc. I aim to ship same day if possible, or next day if it's later in the day or on a weekend.

Take good pictures and disclose every defect in writing on the listing - it saves you from people claiming that the book wasn't what they were expecting.

I look at both recent sold items as well as current listings and I price accordingly based on the condition of what I'm selling and if I can be one of the lower-priced sellers within reason. A lot of the books I sell are ones I'm getting from various sources (shows, lot buys, etc.) for between $1-5, and selling for between $15-40 typically. So if someone else is selling an exact book as mine in condition for $30 shipped, I don't mind listing for $25-27 shipped or something like that in order to actually realize profits vs worrying about the couple of bucks I might be leaving on the table, since the book might end up sitting for a while.

Edited to add - I also am aggressive with sending offers to watchers and I also will use the promoted listings sometimes, rather than discounting the price. It costs less than a buck usually to promote a book at the costs I'm selling at, and I'd rather do that than drop the price too low. I've had some decent conversions from promoted listings and from being quick to send offers to watchers.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 11/7/2021 at 2:00 PM, Galen130 said:

Just remember to read the rules about starting sales threads.  I started mine July 2020 after reading the rules.  It’s over 100 pages now and Moderation hasn’t found a reason to warn me about any violations…yet.  It takes work, but it’s fun too. 👍

On 11/7/2021 at 2:01 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

My experience selling on eBay is that I get better feedback by shipping fast and packing well. I paid for Gemini mailers - I used to reuse the ones I got when I bought books (and I still do that of course), but I was running out so I paid $50 for 50 of them. I charge $6 to ship a book and I always ship first class - I hate receiving books Media Mail, and I won't ship that way - so it costs me about $4.50 for the label depending on where it's going, $1 for the mailer and a few cents on average per order for tape, paper, ink for printing labels, etc. I aim to ship same day if possible, or next day if it's later in the day or on a weekend.

Take good pictures and disclose every defect in writing on the listing - it saves you from people claiming that the book wasn't what they were expecting.

I look at both recent sold items as well as current listings and I price accordingly based on the condition of what I'm selling and if I can be one of the lower-priced sellers within reason. A lot of the books I sell are ones I'm getting from various sources (shows, lot buys, etc.) for between $1-5, and selling for between $15-40 typically. So if someone else is selling an exact book as mine in condition for $30 shipped, I don't mind listing for $25-27 shipped or something like that in order to actually realize profits vs worrying about the couple of bucks I might be leaving on the table, since the book might end up sitting for a while.

Edited to add - I also am aggressive with sending offers to watchers and I also will use the promoted listings sometimes, rather than discounting the price. It costs less than a buck usually to promote a book at the costs I'm selling at, and I'd rather do that than drop the price too low. I've had some decent conversions from promoted listings and from being quick to send offers to watchers.

Wow!  Thanks for the tips guys.  I will definitely read up before starting.  Also, I really like the MCS method of underestimating the grade.  I'd much rather sell to someone and tell them it's a 5 and they feel it's higher than say I'm selling a 6 and have them doubt.  I just hope I get it right.  Although I guess good photos and plenty of them will help as well.  Thanks again.

Edited by Joe Peck

All key issues are easily sold on eBay using the auctions.

All non-key issues are hard to sell on eBay but I always use BIN (Buy it Now).

It works for me well.    

Selling here is tough but few well reputed sellers have sold books well here.

Speaking of the shipping methods: DON'T use Media Mail (up to few weeks and they may open the packages for the inspection), Use First Class or Priority Mail. I think First Class is slightly cheaper but it takes up to 9 business days. Priority Mail is much faster and can take it up to 70 lbs. I normally pack 2-4 books for Priority Mail.  First Class must be accepted with 16 ounces. I use Gemini box for both First Class or Priority Mail.

Edited by JollyComics

I'd also add to be patient if you're able and you know you have something good. I had a book listed for $160 that was up there for a couple months before it just sold out of the blue one day. I knew its value based on other sales, so I just let it sit. I didn't need fast money and I wasn't willing to fire sale it. Just go in knowing that it might be a long game for some stuff. Conversely, I've had books sell within hours of listing, and I initially thought I didn't price it high enough, but I put that out of my head quickly, because I knew I did my homework and I made 8x my investment. Be confident in the up front work and be happy with the outcomes. If someone makes a bit of a deal on you, be happy for them - it will keep them coming back.

Avoid Ebay(my 2 cents worth).... the way they charge fees will only make you mad. They changed the way you place items in your store and it's a huge mess and way too time consuming..not that some people don't have success on Ebay..it's just not for the faint of heart. And then there are the nightmare customers that seem to stalk ebay.  Anything that has a value over 50 dollars you would be better off sending to mycomicshop and let them consign it for you. I have had great success with them. But if you want to sell them yourself, some of the suggestions regarding FB groups and the like are pretty good.

Edited by Ed Hanes