• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Millennium Media's HELLBOY TV series in consideration (TBD)
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Despite the 2019 Hellboy reboot stumbling immediately out of the gate and becoming a box office flop and a critical disaster, Mike Mignola's creation could perhaps live on in another adaptation. Speaking in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Millennium Media president Jeffrey Greenstein (a producer on the 2019 film and whose production company made the reboot) revealed that the company is exploring their options in getting into television, having made a name for themselves primarily through feature films over the years. Among the titles that they own which they're considering for the small screen are mostly action franchises like Rambo and The Expendables, but he specifically notes that Hellboy is on their mind too.

"Our focus has always been on feature film, we do have a slate of TV that we're developing," Greenstein said. "But my plan is to focus on our IP within the TV space and build out Has Fallen TV, Rambo TV, Expendables TV. We're playing around with Hellboy TV. So there are lots of opportunities, but I really want to launch something IP-driven first before we start developing original content. But we also have Undisputed television, from the MMA action franchise, which we're working on launching soon and would like to shoot next year"

After three feature film adaptations it's not entirely a surprise that a Hellboy TV series would be in the cards. Considering the large mythology of the world and the amount of supporting characters that appear, and get their own spin-offs, it's a world ripe for a deeper adaptation than a 90 minute feature can allow. That said, it's really unclear if this will even happen or if perhaps the rights could revert back to creator Mike Mignola before it gets off the ground.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, AGGIEZ said:

I hope it happens and I hope they do it well. The last movie was a plot disaster with so much potential. I think Hellboy would be better served on a Netflix-type platform with a bunch of 4-part series like the books.

Amen to that!

It would be like BPRD mini series spread across the show. Which would be great.

Lionsgate And The Sandbox Team On Film-Themed Metaverse Destination; ‘Hellboy’ Is First Franchise To Book A Trip

Lionsgate and The Sandbox have formed a partnership to create a film and TV destination in the metaverse, describing it as “part virtual real estate, part amusement park.”

Undaunted by the recent plunge in cryptocurrency prices and NFT valuations in recent weeks, the companies said their partnership will kick off with Hellboy, a Lionsgate-Millennium Media franchise to be housed in a place called “Action City.” Other tenants in this corner of the metaverse will include the 2008 reboot of Rambo, 2019’s Rambo: Last Blood, and the first three Expendables films. Lionsgate and The Sandbox have plans to focus next on horror, a genre that has been fertile ground for Lionsgate at the box office over the years, with major franchises including Saw.

This show may become more of a reality.