• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade points taken for missing top staple (bindery error?)

8 posts in this topic

I've got a mid-grade comic that is totally missing a top staple (no puncture holes at all). It looks like it was missed during the binding process. Anyone experience this and how many points if any would be taken off? Thanks.

I do not know CGC's stance on this, however, this came from the Overstreet Grading Guide.

9.4 "In rare cases, a comic was not stapled at the bindery and therefore has a missing staple; this is not considered a defect. Any staple can be replaced on books up to Fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from Very Fine to Near Mint. Mint books must have original staples."

Also, found this article...

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2021/06/13/the-overstreet-grading-guide-staple-replacement-and-asm-238-tattooz/

On 11/6/2021 at 11:12 AM, zzutak said:

Manufactured without one of two production staples = Universal (Blue Label) Grade & No Deduction.  Manufactured without staples = Qualified (Green Label) Grade & No Deduction.  :foryou:

staple-1.thumb.jpg.caa1d6e5a316051006b57a8d41be940d.jpgstaple-2.thumb.jpg.e89a626481498c0a4fd40c7a22f6b8df.jpgstaple-3.thumb.jpg.075eeeba2d93e48e24df70f4c9eecfb6.jpgstaple-4.thumb.jpg.6308e3201bef541fd08abe9ca27b1e94.jpg

Wow, I didn't even know about comics missing an entire set of staples! Can't imagine how they'd survive on the spinner rack at the local 7-Eleven back in the day. I can picture a pile of loose pages around the spinner rack as kids flipped through the books.

On 11/8/2021 at 11:29 AM, Dr. A said:

I have Spawn #11 manufactured without staples with a name "ERIC" written across the title like it was some form of in-house review copy but I can't find a link to confirm. Also, Spawn #9 same name but has both staples. I acquired them in the Honolulu area back in around 1995.

I have Spawn #11 manufactured without staples with a name "ERIC" written across the title like it was some form of in-house review copy but I can't find a link to confirm. Also, Spawn #9 same name but has both staples. I acquired them in the Honolulu area back in around 1995. Or was it the late 90's in Phoenix...now I am no sure!

I'm assuming this doesn't apply to your example, but it's worth noting that GA comics from the WWII era were deliberately manufactured with only one staple because of metal shortages....usually centered somewhere near the middle of the spine.

Edited by Grottu