• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art bought at auction still in seller's gallery
3 3

32 posts in this topic

I've just purchased my first piece of comic art via auction. the page has arrived and am looking at it now while I type.

Unfortunately, the previous owner still has the piece up in their CAF gallery, listed as NFS?!!?

What does one do in these situations? Kindly ask them to remove it I presume? ...And what if they refuse to do so?

Ignore it. Technically, it is correct, and some people just like to look. It also might be being used to attract potential buyers to the other stock of the seller (like “bait and switch” )
l had bought a piece from Los Bros. about 5-6 years ago, and it is still up. 
If you really feel strongly, just ask it be marked “sold”, but that doesn’t mean the seller will comply.

On 11/8/2021 at 1:57 AM, Shin-Kaiser said:

I've just purchased my first piece of comic art via auction. the page has arrived and am looking at it now while I type.

Unfortunately, the previous owner still has the piece up in their CAF gallery, listed as NFS?!!?

What does one do in these situations? Kindly ask them to remove it I presume? ...And what if they refuse to do so?

In theory you are supposed to only show art you own on CAF (unless you are an artist with commission samples).  As others have stated you can politely ask the owners, most of the time it is an oversight on their part and they will take it down.

Others will refuse however, either they will just ignore you, or insist that they don't claim ownership but want to show art they previously owned.  Not much more you can do.

Malvin

I've had that happen before.  I don't visit my CAF often, so I've missed taking down pieces that I had sold.  Once I got an email from someone that ended up with one of the pieces and they (politely) asked me to take it down, so I did.  I think I may have created a folder called "No Longer Mine" or something like that.  As I said, I rarely go there so I don't know what my gallery looks like.  

On 11/9/2021 at 4:53 AM, malvin said:

In theory you are supposed to only show art you own on CAF (unless you are an artist with commission samples).  As others have stated you can politely ask the owners, most of the time it is an oversight on their part and they will take it down.

Others will refuse however, either they will just ignore you, or insist that they don't claim ownership but want to show art they previously owned.  Not much more you can do.

Malvin

What I found was if it was a couple of hundred $$ panel page, yeah it comes down (except with Cool Lines) but if a few grand for a cover or major splash,  by a major artist and that was one of the guys best pieces, you will not even crack a reply. As someone said a lot of them use it to raise their profile. To me it misrepresents how deep their pockets are - still they are living the dream. I found all the dealers I dealt with good, (except CL above), but as someone else said "welcome to the hobby".

On 11/9/2021 at 5:46 AM, thethedew said:

When this happens to me, I usually just leave a comment on the gallery page, simply saying 'SOLD'

I've never had anyone object or remove my comment, and occasionally they update the gallery details, or take the page down.

that's a great idea. I'll revert to this tactic if I get no reply.
The only issue is, I'm a black hole collector...and this technique exposes me somewhat but I guess you can't have your cake and eat it!

On 11/9/2021 at 6:55 AM, Grendel72 said:

Hi, no malice in my query but I'm  just curious,  why does this bother you so much, especially as you admit you're a black hole collector. I presume you won't be putting it up in your CAF if you have one. At least this way we can continue to see the art on another person's CAF. 

I know it bothered me that it was still up, and still does, but I can’t really put my finger on why. It felt like a mix of “this is mine, not yours to advertise for sale” and “are you suggesting mine is fake by showing it even though I bought it from you?” It also makes me wonder if there are other things listed for sale that are long gone, reducing my interest in shopping from the dealer.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:55 AM, Grendel72 said:

At least this way we can continue to see the art on another person's CAF. 

I see it somewhat this way as well. I like being able to see a piece of art, even if not available for sale. For me, an image being on CAF is better than not. I don't get too worked up about this stuff and I know several pieces I have bought remain online (CAF or otherwise). Some people take it down, some mark it sold, some move to another folder (pieces they no longer own). I think some might object to it if they want to eventually create a "fresh to market so it is worth more" marketing pitch. You can't control what is on the internet once it makes it's way there, so I don't worry too much about trying. 

On 11/9/2021 at 12:10 PM, Shin-Kaiser said:

This overlap with the same piece in two portfolios means I have a somewhat 'joint' profile with another collector where I'd rather be unique and whole.

This is interesting.  It's not just about appearing to a similar taste.  A piece being passed from one person to another is like someone losing that taste. 

Ignoring the need to raise funds, some people have mentioned they will sell off art because they want to be more focused or the art no longer appeals to them.

Edited by Will_K

I don't usually look for art I have purchased in CAF. I have been approached by other CAF members politely asking to remove my piece even when I usually place it in a sold/traded folder in my CAF. I was once asked by a different person from that which initially purchased the art from me and I agreed to take the piece off my gallery but I was curious to know what his purchase price was. He stated his purchase price and it ended up being 3 times what I had sold it for. lol.