• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art bought at auction still in seller's gallery
3 3

32 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2021 at 7:16 PM, Will_K said:

Ignoring the need to raise funds, some people have mentioned they will sell off art because they want to be more focused or the art no longer appeals to them.

I can understand this. I've bought art that I feel isn't the best that artist can do but will suffice until I can secure a better page. Once that page comes along I'll sell the lesser one. I also have pages I feel do not 'fit' in my portfolio which I will sell when the time comes.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:43 AM, timguerrero said:

I don't usually look for art I have purchased in CAF. I have been approached by other CAF members politely asking to remove my piece even when I usually place it in a sold/traded folder in my CAF. I was once asked by a different person from that which initially purchased the art from me and I agreed to take the piece off my gallery but I was curious to know what his purchase price was. He stated his purchase price and it ended up being 3 times what I had sold it for. lol.

Yeah...this happens. The art I had just bought at auction actually has the initial price tag of the page when it was first sold written on top of the page (not sure if the previous owner bought it at that price or not)...

Bear in mind this is modern art. i.e. The page was created within the last 5 years....

I paid 12 times the original price! :p

There is a decent solution for this - I have a "gone but not forgotten" favorites folder - not the standard folder but the ones you can set up and point to other's art...so if someone has posted a piece of art I sold them or that I used to own and made its way to their collection, I add it to this folder and it links to their gallery...if someone comments, it is on their entry.

I hate it when former owners "keep" an image in their gallery, whether marked as "sold" or not. It is not yours anymore -- and if it DID mean so much, why did you sell/trade it in the first place? It's nothing more than d__k measuring... "Look at what I used to own, aren't I great." Be honest with yourself (and CAF) and delete the image if it isn't yours.

I've never sold a piece of my silver surfer art, and i've bought several pieces from CAF members either directly or through auctions...some were removed, some not, still displayed...doesn't bother me in the slightest if they leave up, as what counts is where the piece currently resides (imo)

By that logic, you are also the same type of person who keeps pictures of ex-girlfriends or ex-wives...

Again, if you don't have it, why pretend as if you do? 

It isn't just collectors, it's also dealers. Frankly I wish they would do what Mitch does -- remove art from their site when it sells. It clutters up sites (yes Mike, Bechara and Los Bros) and makes searching for available pieces frustrating. I collect higher end art and no one keeps images of sold merchandise in that world... if it is sold to you, it is yours, period, and the dealer stock reflects that.

Edited by Race

On 11/10/2021 at 8:15 PM, Varanis said:

As long as no deception is being attempted, I think it's kind of neat when a piece is in multiple CAF galleries. It can let you trace ownership and often tells an interesting story.

Totally agree and adds an element of provenance. 

On 11/11/2021 at 9:16 AM, G.A.tor said:

I've never sold a piece of my silver surfer art, and i've bought several pieces from CAF members either directly or through auctions...some were removed, some not, still displayed...doesn't bother me in the slightest if they leave up, as what counts is where the piece currently resides (imo)

This

If I see multiple 'owners' of a page (if I'm looking for a particular page), I usually just assume the latest entry is the most recent known owner. Seeing it show up multiple times can kind of be a testament to how 'popular' it is, despite it being let go of multiple times.

When I have a page where old owners haven't removed the page from their galleries, I just think of it as showing a page's history of ownership. Maybe there is a better way to track this, but it's kind of interesting to see where the pieces change hands and the types of pieces previous collectors have, either to validate your collecting tastes or to get some inspiration from other collections, if you are new and looking to flesh out a theme. 

If it's a 'for sale' entry that is not updated, I would just comment "Thanks for the sale, piece came in great shape" or something similar to denote it has been sold without sounding rude, if that is a concern. If it's from a sale previous to yours, commenting from where and when it was sold again to you would seem fine and for someone observing, might actually be useful info.