• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First return from CGC...Charizard
1 1

18 posts in this topic

We have 56 more cards that we are waiting for at CGC however this is our first return from CGC let me know what you guys think of the grades. I don't disagree with the grade but I sure wish the center landed closer to a 9.5 to gem mint this bad boy. So happy to have this thing coming back finally.

rainbow zard.png

On 11/8/2021 at 11:33 AM, poke_naynay said:

the back centering got you, maybe front top to bottom is a bit heavy.

Beautiful card though!

yah looks like the back centering is the issue

On 11/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, NDub67 said:

I think the centering was harsh and should have been a 9

I agree it could have been a 9 but in the end it wouldn't have changed the grade and still left it a overall 9 so I think that is why I'm not to upset. but it would have been much nicer to not have an 8.5 on the card. harsh!

On 11/9/2021 at 3:54 PM, EpicPulls said:

I haven't even received it back yet. shipped 11/3. pics from cgc site.

@PaulS. Weren't the new labels supposed to fix the centering issue in the grade box? EpicPulls has a scan of a card that shipped from CGC on 11/3 and it has the centering issue.

• Administrator
On 11/10/2021 at 1:41 AM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

It's the old label and not the new ones.

This is correct. There will still be some old labels trickling out on slower tiers.

Paul

On 11/10/2021 at 5:37 AM, PaulS. said:

This is correct. There will still be some old labels trickling out on slower tiers.

Paul

@PaulS. Seems like you guys would toss out the old labels knowing there is an issue with them...

Is this something you guys will fix if the card is sent back?

• Administrator
On 11/15/2021 at 12:16 PM, EpicPulls said:

@PaulS. Seems like you guys would toss out the old labels knowing there is an issue with them...

Is this something you guys will fix if the card is sent back?

No. These aren't cards that are getting the old labels now. These are cards that were holdered in old labels before the change and are being shipped out.

The old labels were just fine, but the new ones are of course an improvement. However, we would only offer a free reholder if the grade was printed outside of tolerances on the old label.

Paul

@PaulS. Does CGC offer an option to have a grade reconsidered on a card? I know some other grading companies do but wasn't sure if CGC offers that. I know grading is speculative and surface, corners, edges would be a tough thing to argue. But after receiving a lot of feed back from other collectors I really feel something went wrong here on the centering just based of a lot of other cgc graded cards. Hoping my only option isnt trying with another grading company as I really like the cgc slabs. here a few comparisons. 

rainbow zard.png

raibow zard 9.5.png

rainbow zard 8.5.png

rainbow zard 9.5.png

rainbow zard 9.png

• Administrator
On 11/17/2021 at 11:19 AM, EpicPulls said:

@PaulS. Does CGC offer an option to have a grade reconsidered on a card? I know some other grading companies do but wasn't sure if CGC offers that. I know grading is speculative and surface, corners, edges would be a tough thing to argue. But after receiving a lot of feed back from other collectors I really feel something went wrong here on the centering just based of a lot of other cgc graded cards. Hoping my only option isnt trying with another grading company as I really like the cgc slabs. here a few comparisons. 

rainbow zard.png

raibow zard 9.5.png

rainbow zard 8.5.png

rainbow zard 9.5.png

rainbow zard 9.png

Sent ya a DM.

On 11/17/2021 at 2:33 PM, PaulS. said:

Sent ya a DM.

@PaulS. Is there anything that you could share with the board? I am interested in hearing an answer to the question he asked.

That last card he showed clearly had worse centering left to right on the front than his card did on either front or back, yet it received a 9 and his an 8.5.

Edited by RoLaren

On 11/15/2021 at 1:24 PM, PaulS. said:

The old labels were just fine, but the new ones are of course an improvement. However, we would only offer a free reholder if the grade was printed outside of tolerances on the old label.

Paul

I'm curious what constitutes "outside of tolerances" for off center grades on the old labels?

On 11/8/2021 at 9:12 AM, EpicPulls said:

We have 56 more cards that we are waiting for at CGC however this is our first return from CGC let me know what you guys think of the grades. I don't disagree with the grade but I sure wish the center landed closer to a 9.5 to gem mint this bad boy. So happy to have this thing coming back finally.

rainbow zard.png

These came back earlier in the year but I did not take back photos. Comparison for the front of the card however if it helps...

Charizard VMAX Feb 2021.jpg