• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Mike Mignola appreciation thread – why isn’t he a hot artist?!
2 2

30 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2021 at 11:31 AM, Lazyboy said:

Maybe you should review the images in this thread before calling out Liefeld for avoiding drawing feet. lol

I'm not a fan of Mignola's style, but some of his work is okay.

There are 3 covers which include feet in this thread, not that they are particularly anatomically correct :) If this thread has proven anything it's that he's still a cold artist :nyah: 

On 11/15/2021 at 10:36 PM, JollyComics said:

Slightly off-subject.  Matt Wagner is one of my favorite artists. He went unrecognized for years and he finally got recognized for his Grendel works.

Hellboy movie was popular but Mike is still not recognized but I hope he will get it soon.  Great works with many depths and perspective.  Great vision.

Now Matt Wagner, THERE'S an underrated artist. Tremendous storyteller, and his art just gets better and better. Grendel is a top three title for me, but his work on Batman, Sandman MT, etc are all top drawer. 

Edited by F For Fake

On 11/17/2021 at 1:59 PM, F For Fake said:

Now Matt Wagner, THERE'S an underrated artist. Tremendous storyteller, and his art just gets better and better. Grendel is a top three title for me, but his work on Batman, Sandman MT, etc are all top drawer. 

Here is a toast to this!

On 11/16/2021 at 7:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

Maybe you should review the images in this thread before calling out Liefeld for avoiding drawing feet. lol

I'm not a fan of Mignola's style, but some of his work is okay.

I am glad this was mentioned. I have never seen so many people standing in tall gras, rocks or steam before. I think he is a competent artist and Hellboy is a great character.

On 11/17/2021 at 12:57 PM, F For Fake said:

I'd argue that Mike is probably more well-known than one might initially think. His work has been tremendously influential in pop art. Heck, even Disney animated an entire movie in his style, eventually bringing him onboard to teach the animators how to draw like him! (Atlantis - not a great movie, but a great LOOKING movie). Between animation and comic art and work he's done for magazines, movie packaging, etc, his stuff is out there. He's definitely more of an "artist's artist" than, for instance, Jim Lee, but he's also much more well known than a REAL "artist's artist" like, say, Kevin Nowlan. I mean, they made three Hellboy movies, plus animated series, specials etc They weren't blockbusters, but they're out in the publich consciousness, for sure. And that brings Mike's art along with it.

I think Hellboy are some of the best "pure comics" ever made. A perfect synthesis of creator and creation. Deceptively simple storytelling, great characters, and an overall tremendous character arc. I love me some Hellboy comix.

Mike is the best. I've been a dedicated fan and collector for 25+ years. Gotten to meet him a few times. Lots of stuff signed. This is the only original I have, but it's all mine! Bought it from him at DragonCon several years ago. Wish I'd had more money at the time, could have gotten some really nice published pieces for a song compared to what they'd sell for now. Oh well. Happy with this one for the time being.

IMG_3432.JPG

Personally, he doesn't get the recognition he deserves for his work on BPRD.  

That series was incredibly long and it was really, really fun. 

One of the few books I've read, with that type of stretch, where the negative repercussions weren't swept away after an arc.  They just got progressively worse and worse.  On top of killing nearly all major characters at one point or another including Hellboy.

Patrick 

On 11/17/2021 at 11:08 PM, followtheleader said:

One of the few books I've read, with that type of stretch, where the negative repercussions weren't swept away after an arc.  They just got progressively worse and worse.  On top of killing nearly all major characters at one point or another including Hellboy.

Patrick 

BPRD truly is epic scale comics storytelling. You're absolutely right.

On 11/18/2021 at 9:23 AM, F For Fake said:
On 11/17/2021 at 10:08 PM, followtheleader said:

Patrick 

BPRD truly is epic scale comics storytelling. You're absolutely right.

I vaguely remember the movie lol !

That was FUN because my brother loved it! :headbang: