• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uk price variant
2 2

45 posts in this topic

Hello all. I've recently found 300+ in my parents attic. All are from the early/mid 60s. There are a few key issues in there. I am based in the UK and from what I can see most are the UK price variant. I've looked a few up and know that they are worth quite a bit of money. All I wanted to ask was is there a market for the UK priced comic in the U.S and is the value any different? 

Thanks.

On 11/9/2021 at 8:52 AM, Wiffy said:

Hello all. I've recently found 300+ in my parents attic. All are from the early/mid 60s. There are a few key issues in there. I am based in the UK and from what I can see most are the UK price variant. I've looked a few up and know that they are worth quite a bit of money. All I wanted to ask was is there a market for the UK priced comic in the U.S and is the value any different? 

Thanks.

Hello Wiffy :)

Funny you chose Wiffy as your board name as I can smell UK Price Variants from a mile off :D

I presume we're talking Marvel, but do let us know what you have and we'll take it from there. Pictures are always lovely, if you can work out how to do that. Historically, pence copies have commanded lower prices than the cents ones, but the times they are a changin, and some of the early Marvel keys can now go for the same if not more than the cents copies, as collectors on both sides of the pond start to realise how comparatively scarce they are.

I've dabbled in pence copies a bit, so if you'd like to know more, and have a bit of time, have a read here:

On 11/9/2021 at 1:44 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Good questions. @Get Marwood & I, do you have any experience to share here?

No, I don't know anything about them :)

On 11/9/2021 at 1:53 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wasn't sure if you would be aware of pence variant demand in the USA. :2135781879_wavingwhiteflagemoji:

There is a demand that I have picked up on, yes. Some US dealers seek UKPVs specifically, even going as far as to place ads in Overstreet, and there are many US board members here who, quite rightly, salivate over them. No staining jokes please.

It's a small market of course, compared to those collecting cents copies, but it's definitely there and, I think, growing. I was at a UK auction recently, and most of the lots sold to overseas collectors. 

@Pantodude - what sayeth thou? Thou hast kept track of You Kay Pee Vee financial progress hath thee not?

@Wiffy - why the interest in US interest? What's up with Blighty? :popcorn:

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and get some photos up later. 

Nothing wrong with blighty I was just putting the feelers out. 

Not sure what to do with them yet. Like I said I looked a few up and decided to get the Amazing Spider-man #1 graded by CGC as I thought it might be one of value. It came back as a 2.5. I've got 1-40 of Amazing Spider-man(excluding 2 & 18) plus a load of other titles. I just wasn't sure if they were as sort after as the cent copies. 

I'll try and put some photos up later and any advice on what to do with them would be much appreciated. 

On 11/9/2021 at 2:42 PM, Wiffy said:

Not sure what to do with them yet. Like I said I looked a few up and decided to get the Amazing Spider-man #1 graded by CGC as I thought it might be one of value. It came back as a 2.5. I've got 1-40 of Amazing Spider-man(excluding 2 & 18) plus a load of other titles. I just wasn't sure if they were as sort after as the cent copies.

You won't go wrong with those Wiffy. ASM #1 seems to have doubled in price in the last year - this pence copy sold for £10K in October - looked about a raw 3.0 to me, so you'll do well with a graded copy if selling is your intention:

815856275_16_10_21d.PNG.114b9013d02e61854a52992b293343c1.PNG

Keep an eye on this forthcoming auction here - it will give you a flavour of what to expect:

https://www.andersonandgarland.com/auction/search/?st=amazing spider-man &sto=0&au=471&w=False&pn=1

On 11/9/2021 at 9:50 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

You won't go wrong with those Wiffy. ASM #1 seems to have doubled in price in the last year - this pence copy sold for £10K in October - looked about a raw 3.0 to me, so you'll do well with a graded copy if selling is your intention:

Keep an eye on this forthcoming auction here - it will give you a flavour of what to expect:

https://www.andersonandgarland.com/auction/search/?st=amazing spider-man &sto=0&au=471&w=False&pn=1

You forgot the extra 25% comission?   Ended up being a new high (by a lot) for ASM #1 in 3.5, be it cents or pence, or slabbed or not!  

On 11/9/2021 at 9:00 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

@Pantodude - what sayeth thou? Thou hast kept track of You Kay Pee Vee financial progress hath thee not?

You are preaching to the choir!  But sadly, I've been a slacker and haven't really kept track. It has been more of a passive effort, opportunistically observing all sales, be it cents or pence copies, of certain issues.  I was able to make a few observations, some posted here, but nothing more elaborate than that, and I've been a bit out of the loop since then.  It would be difficult to say now with the volatility among SA and BA keys since the highs of spring, but I sense more interest in and respect for UKPVs.  For example, they are more watchers of UKPV listings on Ebay than in years past, along with more seller's with aggressive prices.  

Edited by Pantodude
typo

On 11/9/2021 at 3:32 PM, Pantodude said:

You are preaching to the choir!  But sadly, I've been a slacker and haven't really kept track. It has been more of a passive effort, opportuistically observing all sales, be it cents or pence copies, of certain issues.  I was able to make a few observations, some posted here, but nothing more elaborate than that, and I've been a bit out of the loop since then.  It would be difficult to say now with the volatility among SA and BA keys since the highs of spring.  

Yes we are definitely seeing the market deflating slightly - but I believe keys are still going strong... for now. Anderson garland auction will be very interesting im tracking a few keys on there.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:17 PM, Wiffy said:

A few pictures. Too many to get them all in.

20211108_181318.jpg

One last tip - take each book in turn, and check eBay sold prices.

Your copy looks similar to these two and....

Capture.thumb.PNG.47f2e680a215f7907504af75eae8ee4d.PNG

On 11/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I live in Newcastle so I’m lucky enough to go to the Anderson and Garland auction in person. John is a lovely guy. 
Next weeks looks amazing so getting to see so many keys in one room at one tune is amazing. 

On 11/9/2021 at 6:36 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

You've got some crackers in there Wiff. A Spidey pence run is a lovely thing to behold. 

If selling is your intention, I'd give 30th Century Comics a call and see what they could do for you. There are a lot of vultures out there, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, but they are trustworthy chaps and I think they would be more than happy to market / sell the keys for you.

Condition is a massive factor when it comes to value, and you have some lower grade copies there it seems, but it looks like there are some nice mid grades books too. You can post some pictures here...

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

...to get an idea of condition if you'd like the input from the experienced graders here. The more pictures, the better - front, back, interior. Note any missing pagers / cut coupons / writing.

All in all, a wonderful thing to have found. Wonderful comics if you love them and with the added bonus of being worth a bomb if you don't.

Post some pictures of the westerns if you can. They have much less value than the super hero books, but I love to see pence copies of them :)

I’ll second 30th century. 
I deal with Rob a lot and he’s a pleasure to buy from. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:15 PM, The lips said:

I live in Newcastle so I’m lucky enough to go to the Anderson and Garland auction in person. John is a lovely guy. 
Next weeks looks amazing so getting to see so many keys in one room at one tune is amazing. 

It should be quite exciting on the day. There's nothing quite like the buzz in the room when a lot takes off is there. Good luck if you're bidding Lips.