• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much time should pass before a TV/Movies should be rebooted? 
1 1

How much time should pass before a TV/Movies should be rebooted?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How much time should pass before a TV/Movies should be rebooted? Case in point I heard that there might be a reboot of Battlestar Galactica, is it too soon for example.

• 5 Years
    • 10 Years
    • 15 Years
    • 20+ Years

11 posts in this topic

I would say 10 years after the end of the last series. That provides breathing room between generations.

Despite how great Batman Begins (8 years) and Man of Steel (7years) are, it was somewhat weird for me to experience such different takes on the characters so 'soon'.

The Force Awakens was 10 years after Revenge of the Sith, and it honestly felt like forever. It's definitely a different situation, but everyone was stoked to see the new take on the series.

On 11/16/2021 at 7:09 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would go even further and say that most shows and movies should never be rebooted.

I think it really depends on an individual basis. I don’t think at this point Battlestar Galactica needs to be rebooted but I’d love a reboot of Highlander ( I think there is one coming) and Stargate.

It depends if we are talking about a reboot or a course correction.

For example, the Tom Holland Spider-man reboot took the place of the Andrew Garfield Spider-man reboot. 

Spiderman… as much as I love the character, had too many reboots in a short period of time.

Star Wars, if its a continuation of the same storyline it can have shorter windows.

Movies like Back to the Future should not be rebooted at all. They were perfect as they were and I fear that even a continuation movie would end up cheapening it somehow. 

On 11/15/2021 at 8:38 PM, Finhead said:

I'm going to jump in and say "some" shows and movies should never be rebooted ever. But I agree with @theCapraAegagrus 10 years seems right, but I was 100% fine with Begins being done at 8 years.

Superheroes, I don't mind.  But some things, Princess Bride for example, should not be rebooted.   

On 11/28/2021 at 4:59 PM, Buzzetta said:

Although... I would not mind this... if it was good. 

tumblr_092b7a6b34b511c96dff0cfe2d3e84bc_24d76892_1280.jpg

That may be transformative enough not to really be a remake/reboot anymore, and therefore is okay, though condition "if it was good" is a really high bar for Hollywood these days.  (I will say that The Muppet Movie was the first movie I saw in theaters.)