• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cat Claw holes in cover
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Pressing won't help you as the damage is done.  It minimize the presence of them but it won't fix the torn paper.  And I don't think other restoration methods wouldn't make much sense due to cost and nature of the damage.  

But I have a different issue.  I don't like the way you're demonizing cats.  Those holes could have been created by lots of things but you went straight to cats.  If you didn't personally see the cat do it, it's wrong to blame them.  :wink:

Also, welcome to the boards.  :foryou:

FE70C65E-5BE9-4C6C-B624-EC2EF213F1EC.gif.66d633b0e05ba14e067e361a8858b6d8.gif.f1cfae680c284f2e60886ce063ab1040.gif

xD The cat WAS part demon at times.  I didn’t think there was much that could be done to fix those holes.  Is this particular comic worth sending in, taking the comps into the equation for high end grades of this particular comic? What kind of grade do you think it would get with just those holes as noticeable flaws?

On 11/12/2021 at 6:05 AM, TheBigShat said:

Is this particular comic worth sending in, taking the comps into the equation for high end grades of this particular comic? What kind of grade do you think it would get with just those holes as noticeable flaws?

I wouldn't send it in for grading.  I think you'll have more in shipping and grading fees than it's worth to sell raw.  Unfortunately, I think the technical grade with the punctures is probably a 7.0 maybe?  Tough one to grade.  @The Lions Den any thoughts on this?  Assuming the rest of the books is clean.

If no paper was lost, and the cat's claw simply pushed a hole through the cover, you might be able to carefully press the ragged edges back into place from the inside to at least make it look better. But that won't change the negative effect in grading.

On 11/17/2021 at 2:41 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I wouldn't send it in for grading.  I think you'll have more in shipping and grading fees than it's worth to sell raw.  Unfortunately, I think the technical grade with the punctures is probably a 7.0 maybe?  Tough one to grade.  @The Lions Den any thoughts on this?  Assuming the rest of the books is clean.

Yes, I'm wondering how this incident happened...  hm

On 11/12/2021 at 12:02 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I don't like the way you're demonizing cats.  Those holes could have been created by lots of things but you went straight to cats.  If you didn't personally see the cat do it, it's wrong to blame them.  :wink:

JZtihRAlQEvL_7653.gif.28fc9754c42dae4a60ec113fb80ec61c.gif

On 11/12/2021 at 7:05 AM, TheBigShat said:

xD The cat WAS part demon at times.  I didn’t think there was much that could be done to fix those holes.  Is this particular comic worth sending in, taking the comps into the equation for high end grades of this particular comic? What kind of grade do you think it would get with just those holes as noticeable flaws?

Do the holes go through the entire book?