• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got my first submission back - it appears damaged. Now what?
3 3

28 posts in this topic

CGC had this in their possession for over 9 months.  I got it in the mail today, and it looks like it was never even sealed.  It doesn't appear to be able to be snapped closed.  See attached photos.  I don't even know what to do now.

I can't get a hold of anybody there.  As busy as they seem to be, you'd think they'd be a 24/7 operation.  Am I going to have to pay to ship this back to them again?  Am I going to have to pay for grading again?  Am I going to have to wait 9 months again?

Everybody seems to use CGC so I figured they were good, but this is ridiculous.  I was hoping to unload this damn thing on my store before Christmas when my volume is highest, but I guess that's not happening.

Has anyone been through this before?  Is CGC good about fixing their mistakes, or am I screwed?  What should I do from here?

20211112_165017.jpg

20211112_165045.jpg

On 11/12/2021 at 6:09 PM, heyimjason said:

Is CGC good about fixing their mistakes, or am I screwed?

Somebody will reply with more info than I could give, but from what I've seen they are normally pretty good with fixing this, I believe they pay for the shipping and re-slabbing. And it shouldn't take 9 months again.

Edited by FrontStands

On 11/12/2021 at 6:09 PM, heyimjason said:

Everybody seems to use CGC so I figured they were good

My guess is because they fetch the highest resale value, not sure how much good factors in. From my understanding, if and or when you get in contact with someone they will attempt to make things right. No guarantee and it could take awhile. But shipping and slabbing shouldn't cost you anything. 

Well, I emailed them early Monday morning through the form.  They asked me for pictures, which I sent immediately.  Heard nothing.  Called them yesterday and could barely hear the woman because of the kids and pets making so much noise.  Then she told me that magazine holders weren't supposed to close on the sides.  I told her that yes, they are supposed to, and the issue here is the top part is broken, not the sides.  She said they'd look into it.

Still nothing today.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:51 AM, heyimjason said:

Well, I emailed them early Monday morning through the form.  They asked me for pictures, which I sent immediately.  Heard nothing.  Called them yesterday and could barely hear the woman because of the kids and pets making so much noise.  Then she told me that magazine holders weren't supposed to close on the sides.  I told her that yes, they are supposed to, and the issue here is the top part is broken, not the sides.  She said they'd look into it.

Still nothing today.

I'm fairly confident they will make it right, but it sounds like you're expecting them to handle the situation with a sense of 'urgency' as if they're afraid of losing your business or as if they aren't a monopoly or they aren't extraordinarily behind on ALL ASPECTS of their business in the same year as getting a new owner in the same year as a global pandemic.  Which isn't to say you should excuse the errors made or the slow customer service, but ANYTHING and EVERYTHING CGC is a waiting game now.  Keep pressing, but don't stress. Good luck.

On 11/17/2021 at 11:37 AM, revat said:

I'm fairly confident they will make it right, but it sounds like you're expecting them to handle the situation with a sense of 'urgency' as if they're afraid of losing your business or as if they aren't a monopoly or they aren't extraordinarily behind on ALL ASPECTS of their business in the same year as getting a new owner in the same year as a global pandemic.  Which isn't to say you should excuse the errors made or the slow customer service, but ANYTHING and EVERYTHING CGC is a waiting game now.  Keep pressing, but don't stress. Good luck.

No, you're right.  That's a good perspective.  I think I'm just a little hyped because the bills are coming due and for some reason this book is worth a hell of a lot more than I paid for it.

On 11/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, Slappy Laszlo said:

Actually she is correct, the old comic and old/current magazine slabs aren't sealed on the sides, you can pry them open a bit. It's the way the slabs are/were made.

So... maybe the problem was that they tried to stuff a magazine into a comic slab?  I dunno, it's been mentioned that the bigger slabs are simply more prone to breaking.  I guess either way I'll see what I get once I get it back.

On 11/15/2021 at 9:46 AM, shadroch said:

They are getting better at fixing their mistakes. although they seem to be getting better at making them.

It's almost (not quite) to the point that these issues can no longer be called mistakes. Simply shoddy work. Once the workload levels off over there, it'll be interesting to see if these mistakes keep happening at the same level that they are now.

@heyimjason any word?

On 11/28/2021 at 1:54 PM, Gaard said:

It's almost (not quite) to the point that these issues can no longer be called mistakes. Simply shoddy work. Once the workload levels off over there, it'll be interesting to see if these mistakes keep happening at the same level that they are now.

@heyimjason any word?

I actually just got my confirmation email from them a few hours ago.  The status is "scheduled for grading," so I'm kind of thinking it's going to be a while before I get this back.  I'm going to have to get a hold of them tomorrow to see if they can expedite it.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:54 AM, Gaard said:

@heyimjason any word?

Since you brought it up, here are two examples (of several) slabs I received in the past week where this little piece of plastic is loose within the slab. On all of them with this issue, I cannot figure out where it comes from, or if it is even from each particular comic slab. Also, two of my returned subs have several comics that are slightly loose or c o c k -eyed within the slab. Very similar to the larger photo here.

Not sure about the hassle of re-slabbing just for a little piece of plastic, but it is annoying to say the least.

Piece of Plastic in Case.png

Piece of Plastic in Case 2.png

Piece of Plastic in Case 3.png

Edited by CHASEnBLUE