• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happens if your wt comic is worth more than you stated on your submission form
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Submitting for the first time. Hopefully correctly. 

Just curious as to what happens if you submitted a comic for 10000.00 and is graded or determined it is worth at a higher grade say 15000.00. Do they call you for the required funds. Is there a way to put your payment information in CGC to have the funds you are short.  Do they send the comic back to you. Call you for the rest of the funds? 

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. If our graders feel that the book is undervalued by a significant amount, they can bump the book up to a higher grading tier and you would be charged the difference in the grading fees.  You can find more about our declared value policy here: Declared Value Policy | CGC (cgccomics.com) We will still complete processing of the order but it would not ship out until any balance due was paid.  

Thanks!

On 11/15/2021 at 9:11 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. If our graders feel that the book is undervalued by a significant amount, they can bump the book up to a higher grading tier and you would be charged the difference in the grading fees.  You can find more about our declared value policy here: Declared Value Policy | CGC (cgccomics.com) We will still complete processing of the order but it would not ship out until any balance due was paid.  

Thanks!

Sure they bump you up to a higher tier, but they don't bump you up in terms of turnaround time, I've had books that I've sent in as economy, wait 6 months and get bumped up to Express and have to pay extra.  Why is CGC charging more to grade a book, when the customer isn't getting the return service they got charged for?  If I'm paying for Express, why or anyone else not getting Express service?  It's unfair and bad business practice and needs to be addressed ASAP.  

Thank You Jennifer, I am implying to WK at 3% value. Just wanted to be sure that if I under valued the comic. I would have the opportunity to pay the difference if it is graded at a higher grade than what I paid for. Also if I over valued would I receive a credit

Thanks Again For Your Time

Papa

On 11/16/2021 at 8:30 AM, Papa Giovani said:

Thank You Jennifer, I am implying to WK at 3% value. Just wanted to be sure that if I under valued the comic. I would have the opportunity to pay the difference if it is graded at a higher grade than what I paid for. Also if I over valued would I receive a credit

Thanks Again For Your Time

Papa

No one receives a credit for over estimating. That is your gift to CGC. 

• Administrator

Good morning,

We do recommend you start off conservatively with your values as we do not credit you if you over value a book.  Your best bet is to check current auction pricing or other websites that provide values to determine the best average value for your book.  

Thank you!

On 11/15/2021 at 9:11 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks!

Why bother having Tiers based on the year of the book if the graders going to charge based on what they grade the book at?  I've seen moderns get graded only to be bumped up to express cause the graders wanted to dig into the pockets of the customer a little more.  Still a modern book and was sent modern, Again the tiers need to be changed, no one want to go to the grocery store, buy a gallon of milk off the shelf that says $3.99 only to have it ring up at the register at $9.95...Would you still want to pay for the milk?  Probably not and neither do we.  Bait & Switch

On 11/16/2021 at 9:01 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

We do recommend you start off conservatively with your values as we do not credit you if you over value a book.  Your best bet is to check current auction pricing or other websites that provide values to determine the best average value for your book.  

Thank you!

It can be thousands of dollars between a 9.6 and a 9.8.  The graders determine if it's a 9.8 or not, not the consumer. CGC's submission tiers is based on how fast do you want the book back and how much coverage do you want on the book you're submitting. It shouldn't be up to the graders to decide which book goes with what tier based on how the book graded out, Their job to grade books, not dig into the consumers pocket a little more. 

I personally feel the FMV of the book at the time CGC receives it should be the basis upon which its value should be determined.

With the market fluctuation, it is quite possible a great many people will "get punished" for slow TAT.  I sent books about 8 months ago, under the Value tier, that fit criteria set forth by CGC at the time.  During that time, some of those issues have risen in value.  Hopefully, they haven't gone up so much that I'll be upcharged.

On 11/30/2021 at 7:59 PM, djzombi said:

This possible conflict of interest between final grade and what they charge has been an issue since CGC's inception.  

Don't forget the $5 invoice fee, cause we are charged an extra $5 for CS to do their jobs