• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any GA comic collectors know anything about collecting US Currency ?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have a friend whose family put bills aside just after the Depression in a safety deposit box.  Long story short it was opened and there were bills in their from the 1930's & 40's.  Look brand new.  In sequential order.  Wrapped in bands from the bank and date stamped.  A lot of 5 dollar bills.  I saw at least 1 hundred dollar bill.  Worth anything more than face value amount ? How do you go about cashing them in if they are ?  Thanks in advance for any insight....

I know a little about many things. Not a coin or paper money collector but have handled some in the past.

These are probably all Silver Certificates. Back in the day when money was really worth something, these could be redeemed for actual silver. At some point, the Government recalled them and stopped this practice. They are LONG out of circulation now.

Like anything collectible, condition is very important. Average used bills of this era are maybe worth a couple of bucks above face value. The higher the denomination and the earlier the date the better. Now, un-circulated high grade ones are probably worth a lot more. Again a $100. bill vs a $5. bill is much better. Now sequential order bills wrapped, banded and dated by a bank might be a totally different animal. Probably quite rare. I would no way, break them up. 

People of the Depression often didn't trust banks and often hoarded away cash. 

As in anything, the internet and google is your friend. I would start there. I know Heritage is based upon the coin and probably paper money business. Something like this might realize a pretty decent price at action. 

Hope this gets your friend started. Too bad his family didn't put away un-circulated comic books from that era...:roflmao: