• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Login Problems
5 5

153 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Question for those still having this problem:

Do you have the boards bookmarked and are you accessing them that way?

Here is how I am getting stuck in the login loop:

If I go to the CGC site, log in and click Chat Boards on the menu, the chat boards open in a new tab and I am signed in. If I click 'sign out' in that new tab, I can see that I am signed out of the boards. If I go back to the original tab where I signed in on the CGC main site, it looks like I am still logged in but I'm really not. So, when I click Chat Boards on the menu, they open in a new tab but I am not signed in. I click to sign in, I'm taken to the CGC main page where it looks like I am already logged in. This is how I am getting stuck in the loop.

For now, I'm asking our programmers to have the boards open in the same window rather than in a new tab. That seems to resolve the problem for me but I don't know if it is a problem for all of you if the boards open in the same window rather than a new tab. If it is a problem, we can easily roll it back to opening in a new tab but I thought this approach may relieve some of the frustration in the short term.

How are you getting stuck in the loop?:

I'm not sure we are all getting stuck in the loop the same way which is why I asked the question about accessing the boards through a bookmark. If you are getting stuck in the loop after taking steps that are different than mine, would you please let us know how you are clicking to get there?

We appreciate your patience and all of the information provided so far. We look forward to getting this resolved for everyone.

On 11/30/2021 at 3:22 PM, dena said:

If I go to the CGC site, log in and click Chat Boards on the menu, the chat boards open in a new tab and I am signed in. If I click 'sign out' in that new tab, I can see that I am signed out of the boards. If I go back to the original tab where I signed in on the CGC main site, it looks like I am still logged in but I'm really not. So, when I click Chat Boards on the menu, they open in a new tab but I am not signed in. I click to sign in, I'm taken to the CGC main page where it looks like I am already logged in. This is how I am getting stuck in the loop.

For now, I'm asking our programmers to have the boards open in the same window rather than in a new tab. That seems to resolve the problem for me but I don't know if it is a problem for all of you if the boards open in the same window rather than a new tab. If it is a problem, we can easily roll it back to opening in a new tab but I thought this approach may relieve some of the frustration in the short term.

I'm not sure we are all getting stuck in the loop the same way which is why I asked the question about accessing the boards through a bookmark. If you are getting stuck in the loop after taking steps that are different than mine, would you please let us know how you are clicking to get there?

We appreciate your patience and all of the information provided so far. We look forward to getting this resolved for everyone.

Yes same. Especially on phone! Tab open and I click a link on the boards that takes me to Ebay or another tab, and when I come back to the boards to continue discussion about said link I found on the boards.... I have to resign in :(

So it makes it hard for boardies to post links and discussions cause no one wants the hassle.

And yes if I have the boards open, and go to another tab 

On my PC I go to the CGC Message board bookmark. Even though  I checked the Remember me box a week ago it kicked me out. Try to sign in and it takes me to a different page. So I have to go to my account, log out and then log back in.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:22 AM, dena said:

I’m not having that issue. Instead, my sessions seem to end very quickly when I access from multiple devices in a short time-frame.  I utilise “Tab Groups” heavily and always have a tab open to the CGC boards with the intent of picking up where I last left off.

However, when I go back to where I was (usually within hours of my last visit), I am signed out. When I click “sign in” at the top of the boards, I get taken to the CGC comics parent site. Auth is successful, clicking the “Chat Boards” link in the main menu brings me back to the forums in a new tab, but I am not signed-in. 

Devices: This happens daily in Safari for iPadOS and iOS. Less frequently in Safari for macOS. (Latest versions on all devices). 

The fix for iPadOS and iOS is to open System Preferences > Safari > Advanced > Website Data then search “cgccomics” and delete this specific row of data. Then I can sign in again. I’ll probably be signed back out on my other devices though. 

As linked above, I initially thought this was a setting related to the number of allowed concurrent sessions. But, given the fix, it does seem to instead be some kind of local session data or cookie issue.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:22 PM, dena said:

I just type 'cgc' and autofill fills in the address and takes me to comics general.  Sometimes I get the glitch then have to log out log in.

Strangely enough this has not happened to me since my last post in this thread on Nov. 18th. I am occasionally logged out, but have not been logged into the main site either so the login link works for me. I do use a bookmark for access and have a tab open in Safari on my iPhone at all times.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:21 AM, buttock said:

Dena, I don't think your experience is what everyone else is experiencing.  I'm going to try to succinctly summarize the problem. 

We're routinely logged out of the boards, but not out of the CGC website.  In my case, it can be as simple as closing and reopening my phone screen that leads to me being logged out of the boards.  I'm not closing out the tab or web browser.  

In order to get logged back in, I have to close the tab, go to the CGC main website, log out (this is important for understanding... we're still all logged into CGC, but not the boards), then log back in. 

I'm not accessing from a bookmark.  

I don't have this problem on any of a number of PCs, only on my phone.  

Echoing buttock's experience, but from a PC (Windows 10 Enterprise, v1909; Microsoft Edge version 96.0.1054.43(64-bit))

Go to the CGC home page where I am still logged in (despite being logged out of the boards), log out from CGC home page.  Return to the boards and login there.