• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Prices Drop Back Down?
3 3

72 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2021 at 7:49 AM, Robot Man said:

Crypto is apparently here to stay. On Christmas Day, Staples Center in LA where the Lakers, Clippers and Kings play, will now be known as the Crypto.com Center. While they don’t own it, they have a 20 year option on the name.

People are pizzed here. We refer to it as “The house that Kobe built”. It pretty much is a landmark here. 

At least nobody has defiled Dodger Stadium yet...

Define "defiled" :baiting: 

On 11/18/2021 at 6:58 AM, valiantman said:

I feel like the "regular person test" will apply, when we look back on the markets of the past year or two (comics, sportscards, NFTs, etc.).

Can you explain to a "regular person" what was purchased?

"I spent $10,000 on a complete copy of the first issue of Spider-Man in his own title from almost 60 years ago."

vs.

"I spent $10,000 on a cover variant that was very limited for a Spider-Man issue from 10 years ago even though the issue is nothing special."

vs.

"I spent $10,000 on a beautiful rookie card for Michael Jordan from 35 years ago."

vs. 

"I spent $10,000 on a limited edition purple prizm refracting die-cut rookie card for a player who is just getting started."

vs.

"I spent $10,000 on a digital image of a bored monkey that looks like other digital images of a bored monkey but mine's unique (like all the others)."

Now, what do you think the "regular person" would do if they needed to rank those investments?  Answers will vary, and many people would disagree with all of these options, but just a few regular people's answers on ranking them would probably give you a pretty good idea of what market is going to dip and what is going to hold.

(Then, as a fun follow-up question, ask how far they think each one could fall.)

Just about every “regular person” I know thinks We are crazy. Can’t say I blame them. There is a part of me that feels the same way. I can remember when an Action #1 sold for $10K. I was blown away. I NEVER collected for financial gain or thought any of the stuff I bought would be worth any serious real money. Sure glad I hung on to most of it. 

On 11/18/2021 at 6:47 AM, shadroch said:

Who owns copies of Spiderman 1? I think it is mostly a book that collectors own, rather than speculators. As a collector, most don't worry about a small decrease in value so their books will stay in their collections and off the market.

Who owns books like Hulk 181, WWBN 32 and NM98?  In these cases, I believe a lot of them are owned by speculators and investors.  For these people, a 20% downward movement may cause them to sell, adding more books to an already weakening market , creating buying opportunities for some. 

With prices as they are today, I'm not buying anything for the longterm, just books I can quickly flip for a few bucks.

I paid $100. For ASM #1. Was a lot back then. I bought IH #181, WWBN #32 and NM #98 off the newstand. I can’t imagine anything short of the end of the world making me lose money. Then, I probably won’t be around to care.

I occasionally, pony up and pay high for a rare GA book I really want. But mostly, just fun lower grade readers and like you, under priced cool books I can flip to pay for one of those big books I want for myself.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, Buzzetta said:

Thought the prices in the back part in Comiclink were a little soft on Monday through Wednesday.

So much so, I thought I might actually be a player on that beat to hell Fantastic Four 1. Turns out I wasn't, but $5k+ still seems like a great deal on a FF1, even if it's brittle, detached, hole-punched, etc.

On 11/18/2021 at 9:53 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 11/18/2021 at 9:52 AM, Poekaymon said:

So prices have ease up a bit?

I thought they ease down 

Whoa! 
Create meme "The surprised horse (The surprised horse , horse )" - Pictures  - Meme-arsenal.com

On 11/18/2021 at 9:49 AM, Robot Man said:

Crypto is apparently here to stay. On Christmas Day, Staples Center in LA where the Lakers, Clippers and Kings play, will now be known as the Crypto.com Center. While they don’t own it, they have a 20 year option on the name.

People are pizzed here. We refer to it as “The house that Kobe built”. It pretty much is a landmark here. 

Cryptobe Center.  Problem solved.

On 11/18/2021 at 7:47 AM, shadroch said:

Who owns copies of Spiderman 1? I think it is mostly a book that collectors own, rather than speculators. As a collector, most don't worry about a small decrease in value so their books will stay in their collections and off the market.

Who owns books like Hulk 181, WWBN 32 and NM98?  In these cases, I believe a lot of them are owned by speculators and investors.  For these people, a 20% downward movement may cause them to sell, adding more books to an already weakening market , creating buying opportunities for some. 

With prices as they are today, I'm not buying anything for the longterm, just books I can quickly flip for a few bucks.

I own three of the four and foolishly sold my WWBN 32 too early.

On 11/18/2021 at 1:42 PM, valiantman said:

Cryptobe Center.  Problem solved.

I get that the youngsters get to change everything in their image, but why the Kobe Center?  No Kareem?  Magic? Shaq?  Lakers have been a winning franchise for decades.  Its like changing Yankee Stadium to "The House That Jeter Built!"

of course maybe one could argue maybe that Jeter DID build the NEW stadium...

On 11/18/2021 at 1:41 PM, Aman619 said:

I get that the youngsters get to change everything in their image, but why the Kobe Center?  No Kareem?  Magic? Shaq?  Lakers have been a winning franchise for decades.

The Staples Center was built in 1999.  No Kareem.  No Magic.  Shaq, sure, but he went to Miami soon after.  

Derek Fisher has more rings, but I don't think he ever had the fanbase to get a whole building. 

Derek's Fish & Chips at the concession stand seems like a reasonable tribute.

New boardie, old time collector . . . just one anonymous guy's random opinion so don't no one go get their panties in a wad.  Here's XM 1 in a 4.5 going back to 2003.  Hit new highs 4 years in a row now without a pullback.  To me that's a bubble if I ever saw one, and I predict sub-$4k within 5 years when the next financial Black Swan takes down the global economy and cash becomes king.  If you're hating me now just wait 'cuz if I'm still around in 5 years and this proves way off you get to jump up and down and point your fingers while laughing.

xmen.1.jpg

On 11/18/2021 at 1:54 PM, Aman619 said:

right.  that big rectangle south of the 10 freeway.  They rebuilt the area of downtown just north of the freeway, with a convention center and arena, right?

It's all Google Maps and Wikipedia from where I'm sitting. lol

On 11/18/2021 at 2:49 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

New boardie, old time collector . . . just one anonymous guy's random opinion so don't no one go get their panties in a wad.  Here's XM 1 in a 4.5 going back to 2003.  Hit new highs 4 years in a row now without a pullback.  To me that's a bubble if I ever saw one, and I predict sub-$4k within 5 years when the next financial Black Swan takes down the global economy and cash becomes king.  If you're hating me now just wait 'cuz if I'm still around in 5 years and this proves way off you get to jump up and down and point your fingers while laughing.

xmen.1.jpg

I mean, last year's Black Swan event lasted a few months and by the end of the year we were at fresh all time highs in the market.  Anyway, you've made a bold prediction of under $4k in 5 years.  I'll take the over on that.