• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White Smudges on Inner CGC Slab

11 posts in this topic

Hey, can anyone shed some light on what could have caused these spots on the inner slab? I have about 25 other graded books and none of the slabs have these spots on them.  The seller stated they did not see the spots when they were packaging up the comic for shipment (they personally had it graded in early October 2021) and as soon as I opened the package, the first thing I saw were the spots.  They were not visible in the original ad or just hidden extremely well due to the angle of the pictures.

8551152D-BCA1-4B96-9BC0-63FF0C957041.thumb.jpeg.d37b310016c75fe7556b72480f1244fb.jpegDC374EBA-7B19-4800-9369-C45A73D618F2.thumb.jpeg.0af3ad7ee547a4499a16e4b6c6d0ca7f.jpeg

Edited by Bubblesz06

This^ Although I would say it removes $30 to $50 because I would spend that much more for a non scuff case. 

Tell me a few of your books have the inch or 2 scuff lines? If not then you better go play the lottery. I wouldn't think it would be possible to buy 25 slabs and not get any scuff lines.

I received 52 books back from CGC this summer across 3 submissions (economy and modern).  A number of slabs had scuffing/spotting, and I sent them back in as Mechanical Errors.  Out of the 52 books, I sent 23 back and spotting was the predominant slab issue with most of these 23.  CGC requests that the ME order be placed within 2 weeks of receiving the books back.

I personally think it is dirt on the inside of the case.

I have it on my Planet Comics #51 at the "N" in the title. I hate that it is there but it took 4 months for me to get the book after winning the auction and i just dont want it away for many more. 

671211610_Planet51.jpg.d3262efe6388c7bb7a87ebb56398c76d.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

On 11/16/2022 at 11:27 AM, lostboys said:

My Killing Joke 9.8 has a ton of em on the back of the slab. It looks sooooooo bad over an all black cover but no way am I sending it back and risking damage.

I probably own 200 slabs and its the only one with them.

You['re lucky!  Out of the 1st 40 books I had slabbed from Spring '21 to early '22, I had one book with significant spots.  I had 52 books slabbed this summer, and it was quite common (not repeating my whole post from above...).