• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UV protection for slabbed books?
3 3

28 posts in this topic

Hey folks, how do you protect your slabbed comics from UV lighting?

I feel that this topic deserves an update because there is a manufacturer shortage affecting most BCW supplies, and others as well. 

I know UV resistant wall mounts and frames are the most common, and there are some neat homemade ones from places like Etsy.

I like to lean my slabbed books against the wall on top of a shelf, however. Minimal wall damage this way. Does anyone have any recommended options that will do okay without mounting or hanging?

It's too bad BCW's bags for slabbed books don't offer UV protection...

Side note- I used the search function and didn't find any related threads, but I'm sure they are out there, so apologies if I am duplicating here.

I have my CGC books on a shelf in a hallway that receives no direct sunlight. I do not expect to see any fading over time (and have not yet) but if I do I will let you all know!

If you have a display area and there is direct light that falls on that area, I would advise moving your display area. Otherwise, I am of the belief that worrying about UV damage should be low to negligible.

No Sun/Natural light even if overcast day, No CFC Bulbs, No Florescent lighting.  Incandescent Bulbs do give off small amounts of UV and over enough time could be a possible issue.

LED bulbs do not emit any measurable UV with one exception; Brilliant Blues LED's do emit an essentially negligible amount of UV.

So go ahead and display your slabs without worry as long as the only light sources are LED bulbs!

Edited by MAR1979

I don't put them in direct sunlight in rooms with south facing windows. Other than that I don't worry about it. I work and watch tv in the dark. If I lit my display I would have friendly lighting. You could always build or replace the glass in your display case with uv blocking glass. 

On 11/19/2021 at 10:01 AM, marvelmaniac said:

They do sell UV protected frames for CGC graded books, however, after looking online they appear to be pricey and most vendors seem to be out of stock due to supply chain issues.

They also make clear UV protected acrylic sheets you can place over the slab.

Thanks (for responses from everyone).

Do you remember where you've seen these acrylic sheets? I've come across some that go in the slab (but then why would I open it), but none that somehow go over top.

On 11/19/2021 at 3:34 PM, MAR1979 said:

No Sun/Natural light even if overcast day, No CFC Bulbs, No Florescent lighting.  Incandescent Bulbs do give off small amounts of UV and over enough time could be a possible issue.

LED bulbs do not emit any measurable UV with one exception; Brilliant Blues LED's do emit an essentially negligible amount of UV.

So go ahead and display your slabs without worry as long as the only light sources are LED bulbs!

this.

be aware that even indirect sunlight will indeed fade your books or art. the room should ideally have no windows whatsoever. the fading is so gradual you won't even notice it until it's too late. 

On 11/20/2021 at 1:45 PM, alexgross.com said:

this.

be aware that even indirect sunlight will indeed fade your books or art. the room should ideally have no windows whatsoever. the fading is so gradual you won't even notice it until it's too late. 

This sounds like a horror movie, but I believe you.

Those that want to display their comic books need to understand one essential fact. ALL LIGHT IS DAMAGING. Light in UV wavelengths is simply more energetic and therefore does damage faster.  Your comic books will be much better off in a dark box in a climate controlled room. The climate part is easy. If you are comfortable, so are your comics. If it feels hot and muggy to you, the storage is not ideal for paper. 

Color printouts of the FC and a nice frame will look just as good and keeps comics out of harms way.  

If you feel you must display, follow the guidelines of the Library of Congress and Northeast Document Conservation Center. A windowless room or light blocking curtains on windows.  UV lights, set to the lowest level that is safe as far as people not tripping in the dark. Lights only on when people are in the room, when no one is in the room lights off. And then rotate your display items. Don't leave the same items out for months at a time. Change them every week or two with items not on display back in their dark boxes. 

ComicLink has for sale on the Exchange right now a CGC 9.8 Incredible Hulk 181. Horribly sun faded. Sent in today looking like this probably 6.0-7.0. Link below. Look at the huge difference between the colors of the front cover versus the color of the back cover (no doubt the book was displayed hanging on the wall) The seller of course is listing on the Exchange hoping to still get nearly $70K out of it. The reality is someone just flushed over $60K value down the toilet because "it's my book and I want to display it"
https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DIncredible%2BHulk%2B181%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1534962

On 11/20/2021 at 1:04 PM, babsrocks31 said:

Thanks (for responses from everyone).

Do you remember where you've seen these acrylic sheets? I've come across some that go in the slab (but then why would I open it), but none that somehow go over top.

They are not made specifically for CGC slabs, you would have to cut to fit.

https://www.edmundoptics.com/p/20quot-x-24quot-uv-filter-sheet/4471?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-eeMBhCpARIsAAZfxZDc17O5UyIuxRst6gjcgC-fQJ8pgSaGokG2eVlE3QTA8JMB4ymhtPwaAoOHEALw_wcB

https://thecollectorsresource.com/UV-graded-comic-book-frame

https://thecollectorsresource.com/uv-blocking-front

I think I found a PERFECT solution for me.

I have a little over 50 of my comics framed and matted; comic (in Mylar) over the matting, with UV plexiglass in front (a nice sandwich, also slowly presses the book over time!). But over 15 years on the walls I am starting to get paranoid about the colors (red goes first) slowly fading, especially on some of my more valuable books (like X-Men #1 2.5, Avengers #5 5.5, Journey Into Mystery #83 4.5; all with nice red titles)

So I did this: I have been scanning most all my comics for insurance/inventory purposes anyway (front and back cover). I then take the front cover scan and print it out, matching color and size perfectly (Epson P800 using 8 1/2x11" Epson Semi-Gloss paper). Then cut it and place it on top of the Mylar so it lines up perfectly with the real comic, then place the plexiglass back on top. It looks great! So in a way it's cheating, as you are not looking at the actual comic, but the real comic is right behind. You still have the 3 dimensions and can see that there is a real comic book there. And while I can see the difference between a comic with the printout in front next to one that's the actual comic (as I know), I have had several friends over and just asked them, "Do you notice anything unusual about my comics?" Not a single one saw anything. I had to point it out to them, and even then a couple didn't quite get what I was talking about. So visually it looks great, and the point is displaying awesome works of art, and now I have no concern of any (more) fading over the next 10, 20, 30 years (I am 55 now) that they will be hanging on my walls.

Look at my picture below. Zoom in. The Iron Man/Sub #1 is the REAL comic. For the X-Men #1 you are looking at the printout of the scan of the real comic, sitting over the real comic right behind it. Can you tell the difference? From 10 feet away you can't tell (unless you actually know). You have to look up real close and know what you are looking for.

@ Contrast real vs printout.jpg

Edited by AsterixTheGaul

On 11/20/2021 at 11:00 PM, Tony S said:

Those that want to display their comic books need to understand one essential fact. ALL LIGHT IS DAMAGING. Light in UV wavelengths is simply more energetic and therefore does damage faster.  Your comic books will be much better off in a dark box in a climate controlled room. The climate part is easy. If you are comfortable, so are your comics. If it feels hot and muggy to you, the storage is not ideal for paper. 

Color printouts of the FC and a nice frame will look just as good and keeps comics out of harms way.  

If you feel you must display, follow the guidelines of the Library of Congress and Northeast Document Conservation Center. A windowless room or light blocking curtains on windows.  UV lights, set to the lowest level that is safe as far as people not tripping in the dark. Lights only on when people are in the room, when no one is in the room lights off. And then rotate your display items. Don't leave the same items out for months at a time. Change them every week or two with items not on display back in their dark boxes. 

ComicLink has for sale on the Exchange right now a CGC 9.8 Incredible Hulk 181. Horribly sun faded. Sent in today looking like this probably 6.0-7.0. Link below. Look at the huge difference between the colors of the front cover versus the color of the back cover (no doubt the book was displayed hanging on the wall) The seller of course is listing on the Exchange hoping to still get nearly $70K out of it. The reality is someone just flushed over $60K value down the toilet because "it's my book and I want to display it"
https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DIncredible%2BHulk%2B181%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1534962

Cannot upvote this post enough! As collectors we need to get away from displaying our books on walls. There WILL be fading. I try to politely tell LCS owners to stop displaying wall books for long periods of time. I've seen an overpriced Avengers 1 and an IH 181 slowly lose their oranges and reds on the wall of a comic book store. I've seen books that have faded in a basement comic book store except for the small area that was covered up by a price sticker on the polybag. 

On 11/19/2021 at 12:46 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I have my CGC books on a shelf in a hallway that receives no direct sunlight. I do not expect to see any fading over time (and have not yet) but if I do I will let you all know!

If you have a display area and there is direct light that falls on that area, I would advise moving your display area. Otherwise, I am of the belief that worrying about UV damage should be low to negligible.

I second that for the most part. The room I use gets no sunlight. Artificial lighting is low. No problems w/ comic, sportscard, magazine or newspaper displays over the last 9 years.No fading. I rotate things in/out of display. Anywhere from every 2 weeks to 6 months :bigsmile: That's me trying to make sure I get display run with as many items as possible. :banana:(thumbsu:cloud9:

On 11/21/2021 at 10:21 PM, TonyTheHammer said:

Dunno if that's your video, but the film looks really clean on those books.  Presents way better than the bags.  That said, I think the best suggestion is to still keep books out of direct sunlight and rotate books every so often.  I do think with ambient/LED lighting and a 99% UV protection film, the fading should be imperceptible in our lifetime. 

For the life of me, I still don't understand why CGC doesn't offer a UV acrylic case.  I'd honestly pay extra if they offered it.