• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UV protection for slabbed books?
3 3

28 posts in this topic

I picked up a comic shelf from the link below recently. It comes with a piece of UV plastic that sits in front of your slabs and actually looks pretty nice. I will say that the shelf itself seems have been created from a 3D printer and I REALLY had to work on getting the UV plastic to fit in the precut slot. Once it was put together and mounted I was happy with the product though.

I’ve also bought several comic frames from this company in the past since they seem to be one of the only companies that create UV frames for GA books that I like.

https://thecollectorsresource.com/uv-safe-comic-mantles-new/

Edited by C. Spaulding

On 11/27/2021 at 1:31 AM, ExNihilo said:

Dunno if that's your video, but the film looks really clean on those books.  Presents way better than the bags.  That said, I think the best suggestion is to still keep books out of direct sunlight and rotate books every so often.  I do think with ambient/LED lighting and a 99% UV protection film, the fading should be imperceptible in our lifetime. 

For the life of me, I still don't understand why CGC doesn't offer a UV acrylic case.  I'd honestly pay extra if they offered it.

Agreed. There are competitors now offering 99% UV protected cases. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/27/2021 at 9:22 AM, C. Spaulding said:

I picked up comic shelf from the link below recently. It comes with a piece of UV plastic that sits in front of your slabs and actually looks pretty nice. I will say that the shelf itself seems have been created from a 3D printer and I REALLY had to work on getting the UV plastic to fit in the precut slot. Once it was put together and mounted I was happy with the product though.

I’ve also bought several comic frames from this company in the past since they seem to be one of the only companies that create UV frames for GA books that I like.

https://thecollectorsresource.com/uv-safe-comic-mantles-new/

I like the idea of their items but they are out of stock until Feb/March 2022 on anything I wanted to try out.

Lack of using a spell check I find unprofessional. What are procts [sic] ?

As of right now we will not start to get new procts until February or March of 2022

image.thumb.png.e359d4ea39d108b7941dabc58b9b2857.png

Edited by MAR1979

I bought this UV blocker off Amazon and cut it into slab-size pieces to cover comics displayed on my wall. It’s intended for windows, but works the same way on plastic cases: spritz, apply and smooth with squeegee.

BD9ADCD1-751C-4C22-8679-DAE0D85D37BF.jpeg

Every lighting source will take a toll on your books over time no matter where they are placed. Best to put them in a frame with 99% uv proff glass. I'm sure you could have some made that you could easily pop them in and out if to rotate the collection 

On 11/27/2021 at 12:31 AM, ExNihilo said:

For the life of me, I still don't understand why CGC doesn't offer a UV acrylic case.  I'd honestly pay extra if they offered it.

This. SO MUCH this. ^

But it shouldn't be an option, it should be the standard. Ultra Pro makes a very nice UV-resistant One-Touch holder for 8x10-sized things that I use for autographed photos, so it's not like the technology doesn't exist. Unless there's some sort of highly technical issue with slabs made from UV-resistant material possibly cracking easier (which I doubt), the only reason for not already doing it is to save money on manufacturing the slabs. Which I think could be pretty easily offset by the billions of customers who'd start sending in reholder orders for everything they own.

On 4/8/2023 at 6:39 PM, SlabSeeker said:

This. SO MUCH this. ^

But it shouldn't be an option, it should be the standard. Ultra Pro makes a very nice UV-resistant One-Touch holder for 8x10-sized things that I use for autographed photos, so it's not like the technology doesn't exist. Unless there's some sort of highly technical issue with slabs made from UV-resistant material possibly cracking easier (which I doubt), the only reason for not already doing it is to save money on manufacturing the slabs. Which I think could be pretty easily offset by the billions of customers who'd start sending in reholder orders for everything they own.

They wouldn't even need to make the slabs UV-resistant.  At one point, eGerber advertised Mylar D (which is what their Mylite2's are made of) as being 99% UV resistant.  I can't seem to find that verbiage anymore so maybe they conducted additional tests and found that claim to be false.  But, if Mylar D does block 99% of UV rays, then all they would have to do is use Mylar D for the inner well (which is already a thick plastic bag material anyways).  Switching to Mylar D would cost them pennies without having to redesign the outer slab.