What are the top 10 SA books as of November 2021?
2 2

86 posts in this topic

I imagine you are speaking more from a financial perspective, but regardless of prices, my list has largely gone unchanged. 

I may change the back few around based on mood that day, but my top 6 or so have remained pretty solid. 

1) AF15

2) FF1 

3) IH1 

4) Showcase 4

5)JIM83

6) TOS39

7) X1 

8) TTA27

9) Avengers 1 

10) FF5

In terms of importance to the Silver Age, my list is:

1) Amazing Fantasy #15

2) Fantastic Four #1

3) Incredible Hulk #1

4) Showcase #4

5) Amazing Spider-Man #1

6) Journey Into Mystery #83

7) X-Men #1

8) Tales of Suspense #39

9) Avengers #4

10) Avengers #1

Many may dispute my placement of ASM 1, but given that it began the most important series of the silver age,  I think it deserves its spot. Spider-Man in AF15 was not yet a superhero, he became one in this issue. ASM 1 also features the first app of JJJ (a crucial element of the Spidey universe) and the Chameleon, and it’s the first time Peter uses his Spidey sense. However, I will admit that I do hold some Spidey bias.

On 11/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, bennman123 said:

In terms of importance to the Silver Age, my list is:

1) Amazing Fantasy #15

2) Fantastic Four #1

3) Incredible Hulk #1

4) Showcase #4

5) Amazing Spider-Man #1

6) Journey Into Mystery #83

7) X-Men #1

8) Tales of Suspense #39

9) Avengers #4

10) Avengers #1

Many may dispute my placement of ASM 1, but given that it began the most important series of the silver age,  I think it deserves its spot. Spider-Man in AF15 was not yet a superhero, he became one in this issue. ASM 1 also features the first app of JJJ (a crucial element of the Spidey universe) and the Chameleon, and it’s the first time Peter uses his Spidey sense. However, I will admit that I do hold some Spidey bias.

Good call! 

I totally missed ASM1. It felt like something was missing. 

On 11/20/2021 at 6:06 PM, KCOComics said:

I imagine you are speaking more from a financial perspective, but regardless of prices, my list has largely gone unchanged. 

I may change the back few around based on mood that day, but my top 6 or so have remained pretty solid. 

1) AF15

2) FF1 

3) IH1 

4) Showcase 4

5)JIM83

6) TOS39

7) X1 

8) TTA27

9) Avengers 1 

10) FF5

1) AF15

2) FF1 

3) IH1 

4) Showcase 4

5)JIM83

6) TOS39

7) ASM1

8) X1 

9) TTA27

10) Avengers 1 

Adjusted to include ASM1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:51 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

And price wise what would it now be?

Honestly there are people here with GPA better positioned to answer this question. @valiantman for example. 

I can tell you, regardless of what GPA says, the two books I love the most are FF1 and Incredible Hulk 1. I got a thing for Kirby's monsters I guess. 

On 11/20/2021 at 9:10 PM, KCOComics said:

Honestly there are people here with GPA better positioned to answer this question. @valiantman for example. 

I can tell you, regardless of what GPA says, the two books I love the most are FF1 and Incredible Hulk 1. I got a thing for Kirby's monsters I guess. 

I get it just curious is all.

• Fantastic Four #1
  • Amazing Fantasy #15
  • Journey Into Mystery #83
  • Incredible Hulk #1
  • X-Men #1
  • Showcase #4
  • Tales of Suspense #39
  • Avengers #4
  • Strange Tales #110
  • Daredevil #1

Honorable mentions: Amazing Spiderman #1; Fantastic Four #4; Fantastic Four #5; Avengers #1

Edited by namisgr

These lists are all interesting and fair in terms of value/popularity.  After the early Ant-Man days, Hank Pym's contributions are mainly his tech instead of his actual presence on the battlefiled, so he gets forgotten a bit.  

But if we are talking importance,  TTA27 should be up there somewhere.  I don't see how it could ever fall out of the top 10, and even rise.  In terms of importance, at least ahead of Avengers 4 and DD1, and possibly ST110?  HP is a founding and enduring Avenger as Ant-Man but also appeared as Giant-Man, Goliath, and Yellowjacket.  He also brought us the quantum world and discovered pym particles (a big deal so far in Avengers lore but also S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA storylines), and brought time travel to the MCU.  He also gave us Ultron (and his enduring legacy....aside from What If episode, Ultron might not be truly dead and could return to MCU directly or indirectly if his tech/AI resurfaces).  And HP arguably had the single most important contribution in Endgame (via pym particles) aside from Hulk's snap.  Apparently, Hank Pym is also now being recognized as the smartest MCU character by none other than Princess Shuri (in The Wakanda Files), who is confounded by Hank Pym's quantum tech.  I don't think we've seen the last of HP's quantum world (via his time travel or otherwise) or his Ultron-related tech in the MCU, especially the Multiverse phase.  If so, HP's (and thus TTA27's) importance could  grow.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 11/20/2021 at 6:06 PM, KCOComics said:

1) AF15

2) FF1 

3) IH1 

4) Showcase 4

5)JIM83

6) TOS39

7) X1 

8) TTA27

9) Avengers 1 

10) FF5

I’m surprised Daredevil #1 didn’t make the list in terms of prices. That book has gone up tremendously within the last year.

The list has changed a bit since last year, but not much. These were the highest valued Silver Age Comic Books as of last year. There have been some record setting prices that have pushed a couple books off of this list, but they usually are the top ten. The difference between ASM 1, where every new Featured Auction has a 9.2 or better, and Showcase 4, is that rarely will you see a Showcase 4 in extremely high grade for sale. The same is true for others on the list, but here she is...

1. AMAZING FANTASY 15

2. X-MEN 1

3.TALES OF SUSPENSE 39

4. INCREDIBLE HULK 1

5. FANTASTIC FOUR 1

6. JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 83

7. AVENGERS 1

8. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1

9. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 1

10. TALES TO ASTONISH 27

On 11/21/2021 at 2:38 PM, Roger66 said:

With only 1 DC on most-current top 10 SA key lists (Showcase 4) I would love to one day see BB28 get a notable mention.  BB28 is one of my favorite SA keys along with Flash105. my 2-cents :preach:

DCs SA dilemma is that all of their blockbuster characters appeared in the GA. I think BB28 has a case. Showcase 4 and 22 should also be in high regard. 

It would be interesting to see people's overall top 10 list. If you threw out value and scarcity and rated everything by it's significance to the hobby, how would those SA Marvels stack up against GA DC keys?  How would PCH and Crime Does not Pay 22 stack up against super heros? 

It would be a fun and opinionated debate. 

On 11/21/2021 at 12:03 PM, Joshua33 said:

The list has changed a bit since last year, but not much. These were the highest valued Silver Age Comic Books as of last year. There have been some record setting prices that have pushed a couple books off of this list, but they usually are the top ten. The difference between ASM 1, where every new Featured Auction has a 9.2 or better, and Showcase 4, is that rarely will you see a Showcase 4 in extremely high grade for sale. The same is true for others on the list, but here she is...

1. AMAZING FANTASY 15

2. X-MEN 1

3.TALES OF SUSPENSE 39

4. INCREDIBLE HULK 1

5. FANTASTIC FOUR 1

6. JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 83

7. AVENGERS 1

8. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1

10. TALES TO ASTONISH 27

Now if you look at this year's list, the 10 books are the same, but a couple have switched places.

1.AMAZING FANTASY 15

2. X-MEN 1

3. INCREDIBLE HULK 1

4. TALES OF SUSPENSE 39

5. FANTASTIC FOUR 1

6. AVENGERS 1

7. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1

8. JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 83

10. TALES TO ASTONISH 27