What are the top 10 SA books as of November 2021?
2 2

86 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2021 at 8:53 AM, Pantodude said:

These lists are all interesting and fair in terms of value/popularity.  After the early Ant-Man days, Hank Pym's contributions are mainly his tech instead of his actual presence on the battlefiled, so he gets forgotten a bit.  

But if we are talking importance,  TTA27 should be up there somewhere.  I don't see how it could ever fall out of the top 10, and even rise.  

It's personal preference.  For me, TTA27 is more of a prototype issue and an Atlas comic than a Marvel superhero comic, and instead it's TTA35 that's the first full realization of Ant-Man.

Edited by namisgr

On 11/21/2021 at 3:05 PM, KCOComics said:

If you threw out value and scarcity and rated everything by it's significance to the hobby, how would those SA Marvels stack up against GA DC keys?  How would PCH and Crime Does not Pay 22 stack up against super heros? 

It would be a fun and opinionated debate. 

Agreed.  My own list is an opinion focused on importance to the hobby and personal significance to me without consideration of value, as ranking based on value makes for a pretty cut and dried short discussion.

To me, pre-code comics aren't part of the Silver Age.

Edited by namisgr

On 11/21/2021 at 3:13 PM, namisgr said:

It's personal preference.  For me, TTA27 is more of a prototype issue and an Atlas comic than a Marvel superhero comic, and instead it's TTA35 that's the first full realization of Ant-Man.

Well, I wasn't talking about Ant-Man.  I was talking about Hank Pym.  Unlike true prototype issues in which the character did not return as is, Hank Pym...as he was in TTA27...returned thereafter as Ant-Man in TTA35 but also as all of his other personas across numerous Marvel titles over the decades, continuing into the MCU and Disney+, along with current print.   So there is no question that TTA27 is a true first appearance (for Hank Pym!).  The first appearance of Ant-Man in costume is really minor footnote if we are talking about Hank Pym, the genius, who did great stuff in person as well as in costume.  Again, I was talking about Hank Pym.  And if you think of Hank Pym as a genius first and foremost, it was perfectly suitable that TTA27 did not have him in costume.  He was a lot more than just Ant-Man to Marvel.  His personas changed over time, but he was a genius throughout, starting with TTA27, a true first appearance.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 11/21/2021 at 3:23 PM, Pantodude said:

Well, I wasn't talking about Ant-Man.  I was talking about Hank Pym.  Unlike true prototype issues in which the character did not return as is, Hank Pym...as he was in TTA27...returned thereafter as Ant-Man in TTA35 but also as all of his other personas across numerous Marvel titles over the decades, continuing into the MCU and Disney+, along with current print.   So there is no question that TTA27 is a true first appearance (for Hank Pym!).  The first appearance of Ant-Man in costume is really minor footnote if we are talking about Hank Pym, the genius, who did great stuff in person as well as in costume.  So TTA35 is really just a cover thing, not an importance to Marvel thing.  Again, I was talking about Hank Pym, the genius.  

Reed Richards was my first and foremost genius-hero.  Then Dr. Strange captured my imagination as the master of the mystic arts, a superhero using his brain and learning without resorting to overwhelming strength or physical weaponry.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.  Our different perspectives are what make discussions like this interesting.

Edited by namisgr

If it were just a list on preference and significance, not value, my top ten would be

1.AMAZING FANTASY 15

2. SHOWCASE 4

3. INCREDIBLE HULK 1

4. FANTASTIC FOUR 1

5. TALES OF SUSPENSE 39

6. SHOWCASE 22

7. BRAVE AND THE BOLD 28

8. DETECTIVE COMICS 359

9. DAREDEVIL 1

10. AVENGERS1

Edited by Joshua33
Spell

So far, at least half (5) of EVERYONE's top t0 list (either by value or personal preference or historical importance) includes a genius superhero!   Banner, Parker, Pym, Richards, and/or Starks, with double appearances by Banner via IH1 and Avengers1, Pym via TTA27 and Avengers1, Parker via AF15 and ASM1, and Starks via TOS39 and Avengers1.    

Edited by Pantodude

On 11/21/2021 at 3:18 PM, namisgr said:

Agreed.  My own list is an opinion focused on importance to the hobby and personal significance to me without consideration of value, as ranking based on value makes for a pretty cut and dried short discussion.

To me, pre-code comics aren't part of the Silver Age.

Totally agree, precode and crime aren't apart of the SA. 

I was saying if you did an overall top 10 list. DC GA would obviously be well represented, but how would the non super hero books stack up? 

On 11/21/2021 at 3:05 PM, KCOComics said:

DCs SA dilemma is that all of their blockbuster characters appeared in the GA. I think BB28 has a case. Showcase 4 and 22 should also be in high regard. 

It would be interesting to see people's overall top 10 list. If you threw out value and scarcity and rated everything by it's significance to the hobby, how would those SA Marvels stack up against GA DC keys?  How would PCH and Crime Does not Pay 22 stack up against super heros? 

It would be a fun and opinionated debate. 

Also forgot another all-time favorite SA key of mine - Adventure Comics 247 :x

On 11/21/2021 at 2:38 PM, Roger66 said:

With only 1 DC on most-current top 10 SA key lists (Showcase 4) I would love to one day see BB28 get a notable mention.  BB28 is one of my favorite SA keys along with Flash105. my 2-cents :preach:

I'm partial to BB28 myself. It's like the Billy Mays infomercial special. You sign on for the first Justice League.

But wait! There's more! Buy now, and you'll also get the first Starro.

But wait-theres more! While supplies last (and they are limited, folks,  just check out that census!), we'll also throw in the first cover appearance of Aquaman AND Martian Manhunter.

Whaddya waiting for?? Call now!

On 11/21/2021 at 4:08 PM, Pantodude said:

So far, at least half (5) of EVERYONE's top t0 list (either by value or personal preference or historical importance) includes a genius superhero!   Banner, Parker, Pym, Richards, and/or Starks, with double appearances by Banner via IH1 and Avengers1, Pym via TTA27 and Avengers1, Parker via AF15 and ASM1, and Starks via TOS39 and Avengers1.    

Not to mention the dunces of the class include a couple doctors, a lawyer, a test pilot and a police department chemist  (Barry Allen must have worked for the only municipal police department to have its own chemist…)

Interesting topic given that a lot of importance is assigned based on the growth of the Marvel cinematic universe. If so, then this list should not have changed much for most people in 5 years since that’s how long the major Marvel SA heroes have been in the movies. 

If anything has changed, it’s spidey increasing the gap between AF15 and the rest. Because that’s the list, AF15 and the rest. 

On a personal preference, I would have JIM83 higher than most of the lists already posted.

Fingers crossed for a great Flash movie. 

On 11/21/2021 at 8:47 PM, Legion of Goom said:

I'm partial to BB28 myself. It's like the Billy Mays infomercial special. You sign on for the first Justice League.

But wait! There's more! Buy now, and you'll also get the first Starro.

But wait-theres more! While supplies last (and they are limited, folks,  just check out that census!), we'll also throw in the first cover appearance of Aquaman AND Martian Manhunter.

Whaddya waiting for?? Call now!

There's also no FF#1 without BB#28... if the legend of DC Comics' Jack Liebowitz bragging to Marvel's Marty Goodman about the success of his new Justice League superhero team is to be believed.

On 11/21/2021 at 2:41 PM, Joshua33 said:

Honorable mentions to FF 48, 49, TTA 27, 35, SILVER SURFER 4,  JIM 83, TTA 13, BATMAN 121 and AMAZING SPIDERMAN 1, 3,4, AND 14.

Wow, X-Men#1 didn't make your top 10 OR honorable mention, but 1st Sandman did?? I don't know how officially any of these polls are, but geez.???

I would personally overweight classic covers. That keeps amazing fantasy 15 clearly number one. But I think the X-Men 1 Hulk 1 above the likes of fantastic for 1 and tales of suspense 39. It’s the main reason I don’t like strange Tales 110 or tales to astonish 27. JIM 83 and DD1 Id put in the middle. 

if FF5 or ASM 14 had better covers I might put them in there.