• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever Wonder Where Your eBay Items (Even comics) go if They are Seized / Lost at the Border?   Allow Me to Introduce You to eBay User "8Ten1944"
1 1

48 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2021 at 5:15 AM, Buzzetta said:

Nothing Earth shattering here... just an FYI

For the third time in recent years under the Global Shipping Program, an item that I sold was seized at the border.  The receiving country did not permit this item to enter due to the materials that it was made from.  The buyer and myself received a message from eBay that read the following: (See screen shot below).  I should point out though that this includes all items seized at the border and not just those using GSP.  However, GSP makes both buyer and seller whole.  I don't know about what happens outside of it. 

So the question is, if the item is not returned to the seller and is obviously not going to the buyer, what happens to the item?   Apparently it is relisted on eBay by user "8Ten1944".   I had once heard that the items were returned to eBay or they were sold by someone that had a deal with eBay so I looked for my item and with minimal search located it.  User "8Ten1944" even used my original pictures.  Remember, that when you upload a picture to eBay you authorize them to utilize the image for whatever purposes they may want.  If you take a look at their eBay store, you will see over 30,000 items.  That's a lot of things seized at the border.  Items range from jewelry to collectibles to electronics and things for your home and garden.  (Their store)

So I searched the user and apparently there are quite a few people that are aware of this. 

But what IS 8Ten1944?

They are an asset recovery business.   Here is their facebook page.  They describe themselves as: 

They also have a contact email that leads you to "fixmytoys.com"  which is a powersports parts retailer.  Nice side hustle. 

So why talk about this here?  

They have even sold a few CGC comics.  So if anyone has been looking for a comic seized at the border.  Here it is:  Also, see pic below.

Just thought some of you would find interest in this. 

2062657681_ScreenShot2021-11-21at7_55_41AM.thumb.png.f431d251808c2d8ca5a14e7861ca3451.png358362415_ScreenShot2021-11-21at8_03_57AM.thumb.png.96ad720314291874a83ac7bcac61e864.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.14.08 AM.png

60K square foot facility is a lot of seized item storage area :(

On 11/21/2021 at 10:59 AM, joeypost said:

I would like to know as well. While we are at it, why are golf clubs seized as  restricted items? Seems fishy to me. 

I spent some more time looking into it and it “might” be items that were also “lost” or “unclaimed”.  

I am guessing that items in those categories are lost, mislabeled, undeliverable, or unclaimed as in someone had to pay duties on it but chose not to. 

In my case, the items that were refused entry into Australia and Canada contained materials prohibited under their importation laws. The eBay filters should block the buyer from even seeing it, never mind purchasing it which is why they made me whole.   

With all operations though it would not surprise me if someone was accepting some form of a finders fee to make things go missing.  That kind of loss prevention has occurred for decades.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:43 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

60K square foot facility is a lot of seized item storage area :(

Agreed.  I tried to find someone else that has access to things like this at this scale and 8Ten1944 was the only one.

If comics, jewelry, and golf clubs are being moved through here I wonder who gets the automobiles and heavy machinery that are abandoned, denied entry, or seized.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:04 AM, Buzzetta said:

Agreed.  I tried to find someone else that has access to things like this at this scale and 8Ten1944 was the only one.

If comics, jewelry, and golf clubs are being moved through here I wonder who gets the automobiles and heavy machinery that are abandoned, denied entry, or seized.

Maybe that is why the area is so large, a lot of large items being stored for long periods of time.

This is crazy, never knew this existed.

Australia has been in a shipping crisis for a while. The USPS suspended service to there for several categories in September. There is a problem getting cargo flights apparently.

So it may not be specific to the CGC slab, but may be because they just can’t ship there right now in a timely fashion. 

Apparently, it’s also not permissible to aggregate shipments or do Assembly Orders. I don’t know if this also hurts the situation:

Assembly Order shipments are where shipments from multiple suppliers to one consignee are consolidated into a single shipment.

Edited by sckao

On 11/21/2021 at 5:15 AM, Buzzetta said:

Nothing Earth shattering here... just an FYI

For the third time in recent years under the Global Shipping Program, an item that I sold was seized at the border.  The receiving country did not permit this item to enter due to the materials that it was made from.  The buyer and myself received a message from eBay that read the following: (See screen shot below).  I should point out though that this includes all items seized at the border and not just those using GSP.  However, GSP makes both buyer and seller whole.  I don't know about what happens outside of it. 

So the question is, if the item is not returned to the seller and is obviously not going to the buyer, what happens to the item?   Apparently it is relisted on eBay by user "8Ten1944".   I had once heard that the items were returned to eBay or they were sold by someone that had a deal with eBay so I looked for my item and with minimal search located it.  User "8Ten1944" even used my original pictures.  Remember, that when you upload a picture to eBay you authorize them to utilize the image for whatever purposes they may want.  If you take a look at their eBay store, you will see over 30,000 items.  That's a lot of things seized at the border.  Items range from jewelry to collectibles to electronics and things for your home and garden.  (Their store)

So I searched the user and apparently there are quite a few people that are aware of this. 

But what IS 8Ten1944?

They are an asset recovery business.   Here is their facebook page.  They describe themselves as: 

They also have a contact email that leads you to "fixmytoys.com"  which is a powersports parts retailer.  Nice side hustle. 

So why talk about this here?  

They have even sold a few CGC comics.  So if anyone has been looking for a comic seized at the border.  Here it is:  Also, see pic below.

Just thought some of you would find interest in this. 

2062657681_ScreenShot2021-11-21at7_55_41AM.thumb.png.f431d251808c2d8ca5a14e7861ca3451.png358362415_ScreenShot2021-11-21at8_03_57AM.thumb.png.96ad720314291874a83ac7bcac61e864.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.14.08 AM.png

I see a side hustle here-you get compatriot to buy banned items at inflated prices.  Items get confiscated, you are both reimbursed.  Then you split profit with compatriot.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:15 AM, Buzzetta said:

So the question is, if the item is not returned to the seller and is obviously not going to the buyer, what happens to the item?   Apparently it is relisted on eBay by user "8Ten1944".   I had once heard that the items were returned to eBay or they were sold by someone that had a deal with eBay so I looked for my item and with minimal search located it.  User "8Ten1944" even used my original pictures.  Remember, that when you upload a picture to eBay you authorize them to utilize the image for whatever purposes they may want. 

Curious if they also listed it at your sales price? The few listings I clicked on were BIN without a "make an offer" option. 

On 11/21/2021 at 11:33 PM, Shrevvy said:

Curious if they also listed it at your sales price? The few listings I clicked on were BIN without a "make an offer" option. 

I sold it for $58 + priority shipping at small flat rate pricing. 

They currently have it up at $70 with free shipping. 

The markup between the difference in shipping is negligible if purchased at anywhere close to what I paid if they keep all of that inventory on hand.  It would only make sense if they had the opportunity to purchase it at cents on the dollar in giant lots. 

What was surprising was the turnaround.  They received and listed this item in around a month. 

On 11/22/2021 at 6:01 AM, sckao said:

Australia has been in a shipping crisis for a while. The USPS suspended service to there for several categories in September. There is a problem getting cargo flights apparently.

So it may not be specific to the CGC slab, but may be because they just can’t ship there right now in a timely fashion. 

Apparently, it’s also not permissible to aggregate shipments or do Assembly Orders. I don’t know if this also hurts the situation:

Assembly Order shipments are where shipments from multiple suppliers to one consignee are consolidated into a single shipment.

Don't even get me started on this...

There are lots of reasons for items to languish at a border.

I abandoned a shipment once when the paperwork became more than I wanted to deal with.  Customs would not accept a PayPal invoice.  I saw it going downhill and took my loss early so I wouldn't waste my time. 

I live in 2 different countries so I deal with customs a lot and think that customs is a somewhat random process with some main rules in writing but some rules that are made up on the spot by the dude.