• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever Wonder Where Your eBay Items (Even comics) go if They are Seized / Lost at the Border?   Allow Me to Introduce You to eBay User "8Ten1944"
1 1

48 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2021 at 12:07 PM, Buzzetta said:

Okay.   sigh

Before I used GSP, international shipping was a nightmare.  Any outside delay would often lead to nervous buyers filing successful claims and in many cases they would receive the items anyway.  So, it got to the point that I closed international sales all together.  It is because of GSP that the items are offered internationally to begin with.  If a foreign buyer does not want to purchase it because of the costs it doesn't bother me because it will eventually sell to someone else.  Everything eventually sells.  In many cases when it came to certain things, I was the only person that had the item that would even offer it internationally to begin with such as a GI Joe Convention exclusive or a sought after limited edition that no one else can get.

Can you provide info on what a toy could have that restrain it to cross borders thanks,its really interesting and since im from Canada i dont want it to happen to me,very interesting subject(thumbsuand if its reasonable gsp dont bother me at all if it protects both party.

On 11/21/2021 at 7:59 AM, joeypost said:

I would like to know as well. While we are at it, why are golf clubs seized as  restricted items? Seems fishy to me. 

Certain kinds of golf clubs are restricted items because they interfere with airplane avionics systems. (Swingless golf clubs)

On 11/22/2021 at 7:01 AM, sckao said:

Australia has been in a shipping crisis for a while. The USPS suspended service to there for several categories in September. There is a problem getting cargo flights apparently.

So it may not be specific to the CGC slab, but may be because they just can’t ship there right now in a timely fashion. 

Apparently, it’s also not permissible to aggregate shipments or do Assembly Orders. I don’t know if this also hurts the situation:

Assembly Order shipments are where shipments from multiple suppliers to one consignee are consolidated into a single shipment.

Problem was at the USA end.

It was USPS that didn't have the planes - sending wasn't an issue to USA, but getting stuff from you guys was.

All sorted now - last box from Joey took 2 weeks Florida - Melbourne.

So it's safe to post to Australia / NZ now. (thumbsu

Okay.   sigh

Before I used GSP, international shipping was a nightmare.  Any outside delay would often lead to nervous buyers filing successful claims and in many cases they would receive the items anyway.  So, it got to the point that I closed international sales all together.  It is because of GSP that the items are offered internationally to begin with.  If a foreign buyer does not want to purchase it because of the costs it doesn't bother me because it will eventually sell to someone else.  Everything eventually sells. 

In many cases when it came to certain things, I was the only person that had the item that would even offer it internationally to begin with such as a GI Joe Convention exclusive or a sought after limited edition that no one else can get.  So in those cases, if you really want it, then you pay the price associated with Global Shipping.  If you don't agree with those prices then you don't buy it.  However, someone else is likely to purchase it.  Either way it sells. 

That has been my experience as a seller too. eBay started offering Standard International Delivery for parcels under 6 pounds. More of what I sell on eBay is non-comic related, but it is a better experience for the customer. The difference is that Standard does not pre-pay custom duties. It is on the buyer to pay them at delivery if applicable. I think eBay charges duties at a greater rate than what would be due. At least, that is what buyers have said. I truly have no frame of reference. eBay Strandard International Delivery gives the seller the same protections as GSP. Seller responsibility ends with deliverying the goods to a US eBay location. Example shipping costss: Canada is $11 for up to 8 ounces and $17 for up to a pound. 

On 11/21/2021 at 8:26 PM, Galen130 said:

This is one of many reasons why I closed my eBay account 18 months, and why I won’t ship outside the CONUS.  Sorry this happened to you Buzz. doh!

Buyer got refunded, Seller got paid.  Why would that be a reason to close?  Just wondering.

Man, Buzz going full Columbo over here. Good detective work!

As for GSP, I agree, I know a lot of non-US boardies/ebayers hated it, and hey, I get it. But as a seller who is doing this as a hobby, and wants to make it as hassle free as possible, GSP was the only way to fly. In 25+ years of selling, I'd say that 90% or more of the "problem" shipments I had were outside of the US. It's just the way it was. I can empathize that non-US buyers don't like the artificially inflated rates, but it's just no contest for me. My stuff sells regardless, and if someone outside of the US wants to buy something from me, I just have to get it to Erlanger KY, and never have to think about it again. Done.

For what it's worth, whenever I sell here on the boards, I am always more than happy to ship anywhere in the world. The boards have historically done a remarkable job of weeding out the losers, unlike eBay.

On 11/22/2021 at 2:31 PM, KPR Comics said:

Buyer got refunded, Seller got paid.  Why would that be a reason to close?  Just wondering.

Meh...just got tired of all the shenanigans.  I moved my comics sales over here.  It's been much more pleasant, with no hassles...so far. (thumbsu

Edited by Galen130

On 11/21/2021 at 8:59 AM, joeypost said:

I would like to know as well. While we are at it, why are golf clubs seized as  restricted items? Seems fishy to me. 

They’re dangerous, and can be thrown with a great degree of force… :gossip:

…especially after busting a drive into the trees or missing a three foot putt.

On 11/23/2021 at 6:27 AM, Beige said:

Problem was at the USA end.

It was USPS that didn't have the planes - sending wasn't an issue to USA, but getting stuff from you guys was.

All sorted now - last box from Joey took 2 weeks Florida - Melbourne.

So it's safe to post to Australia / NZ now. (thumbsu

But packages are still lost from that time period. I've had a Bigbadtoystore parcel I sent in that time, which I now consider lost as its going on almost exactly 4 months to the day it was sent, and it was last tracked September 6. BBTS assure me everything is fine, and other Aussie customers are in the same boat as me and patiently waiting it out. 

I've asked them for a date that we can consider it gone, and nothing. This is the first parcel I've ever lost, apart from a Dead Or Alive figure that went missing for 8 months but did show up. It'd been misspent from the UK to Barbados for some unknown reason. It eventually found its way to me however, and is now a fun story. 

On 11/23/2021 at 7:44 AM, Galen130 said:

Meh...just got tired of all the shenanigans.  I moved my comics sales over here.  It's been much more pleasant, with no hassles...so far. (thumbsu

That's because you're such a pleasure to deal with. ^^

On 11/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

But packages are still lost from that time period. I've had a Bigbadtoystore parcel I sent in that time, which I now consider lost as its going on almost exactly 4 months to the day it was sent, and it was last tracked September 6. BBTS assure me everything is fine, and other Aussie customers are in the same boat as me and patiently waiting it out. 

I've asked them for a date that we can consider it gone, and nothing. This is the first parcel I've ever lost, apart from a Dead Or Alive figure that went missing for 8 months but did show up. It'd been misspent from the UK to Barbados for some unknown reason. It eventually found its way to me however, and is now a fun story. 

Sorry to hear that, hopefully insured?

I guess I have been lucky, as I sold 5 or 6 slabs last month to USA and all have arrived safely.

Im in Melbourne, so maybe that helps as it only has to go to the airport and away it goes.

Hope things work out for you (thumbsu

On 11/23/2021 at 3:36 PM, Beige said:

Sorry to hear that, hopefully insured?

I guess I have been lucky, as I sold 5 or 6 slabs last month to USA and all have arrived safely.

Im in Melbourne, so maybe that helps as it only has to go to the airport and away it goes.

Hope things work out for you (thumbsu

Cheers, mate. BBTS has been good about communication, they tell me my package (and many other Aussies') are still in America, stuck in USPS' backlog. They're stating to have patience for them to clear said backlog, which is understandable. However, with no timeframes and my money on the line I'm admittedly less than impressed with it all, and just want it all over and done with.

I want my product, to be clear, not my money, as several of the items in the package are sold out and already above market price to rebuy (Storm Collectibles Mortal Kombat stuff mainly). 

It's just ugly and frustrating all round. 

Okay.   sigh

Before I used GSP, international shipping was a nightmare.  Any outside delay would often lead to nervous buyers filing successful claims and in many cases they would receive the items anyway.  So, it got to the point that I closed international sales all together.  It is because of GSP that the items are offered internationally to begin with.  If a foreign buyer does not want to purchase it because of the costs it doesn't bother me because it will eventually sell to someone else.  Everything eventually sells. 

In many cases when it came to certain things, I was the only person that had the item that would even offer it internationally to begin with such as a GI Joe Convention exclusive or a sought after limited edition that no one else can get.  So in those cases, if you really want it, then you pay the price associated with Global Shipping.  If you don't agree with those prices then you don't buy it.  However, someone else is likely to purchase it.  Either way it sells. 

Correction, I just bought something from the global shipping, but the additional charges and imports were reflected in my best offer price.  This item is being delivered by a third party company (items left at doors, like Amazon), instead of Canada post which is locked in a secured mailbox.

But I understand why you don't want to ship outside of it, for me it's no different than taking the time to respond when someone offers less than a posted price I have on ebay - it's just not worth the hassle.  

I bought a CGC book from 8Ten once, it was a United Comics 21 (first Peanuts app.) CGC 3.5 if I remember correctly.  It was a good deal and I followed the trail a bit.  The book was sold from a guy I found on Facebook, he said it sold to a guy in Singapore.  The book supposedly never made it to that buyer and showed up a year later on 8Ten.  There's a youtube video or three about 8Ten.

Edited by BanjerD

So there's people who sell their dirty used underwear... how the heck does 8Ten list that?! 

On 11/23/2021 at 5:39 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

So there's people who sell their dirty used underwear... how the heck does 8Ten list that?! 

Carefully?