• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overstreet Price Guide no.9 1979 - Signed Wally Wood Original/Reproduction Art?

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm an absolute noob at comics - but I was pointed in this direction from Reddit and was told this was the best place to seek more information.

I purchased this hand drawn comic from an estate sale recently.

Was wondering if anyone had any information on it?

It appears to be signed by Wallace Wood.

I did a bit of research online and found the original art for this comic already sold - so is it possible this is a reproduction by Wood himself?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_8797_IJFR.thumb.jpg.ed3908e27bb0a47ddbcd21c475a1162b.jpgIMG_8802_IJFR.thumb.jpg.fa358d7152be48abebf8fa17dbe057a7.jpg1543213038_unnamed(3).thumb.jpg.7e64aeb298ae3270d888ab9202addfb4.jpg

That is the cover for that price guide.  It could be a hand colored color guide which was often a photostat of the B&W art that was used for color selections.

I'd post this in the original art forum here:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/41-original-comic-art/

Oh, and welcome to the boards.  (thumbsu

On 11/21/2021 at 9:20 PM, Randall Dowling said:

That is the cover for that price guide.  It could be a hand colored color guide which was often a photostat of the B&W art that was used for color selections.

Yes.  This is what the published cover looked like.

14C605BD-02DE-462B-B91A-BD258929E384.thumb.jpeg.7ff055950fb7603d370b9cb72330a161.jpeg

This looks to me like a print that was hand colored.  As Randall Dowling mentioned, it could be a color guide, which fits that description. It could also be a print that was offered in a limited number by the artist.  For what it’s worth, I did look through my copy of the Overstreet Price Guide #9, and I found no advertisements along the lines of “here’s how to get your hand colored Wally Wood print.”  

On 11/21/2021 at 9:20 PM, Randall Dowling said:

^^

Hello all!

Thank you for your wisdom and knowledge.

I've studied the piece under a magnifying glass and I'm almost 100% certain it's inks over pencil.

I can see some of the pencil marks which occasionally didn't get covered by the black ink.

It does not appear to be a print or laser generated.

I've attached a few more photos below showing the details better.

Note the photo of the foot - I'm very confident that what I'm looking at are pencil strokes poking out from underneith some of the lines.

In person these pencil strokes appear shiny as they should be - the photo doesn't do it justice.

Any tips on how I go about selling it to a new home who will appreciate it more than me?

Thanks again!

foot.thumb.jpg.13e06969fa82baad8c6a017f774054ce.jpg

IMG_8806_IJFR.jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

IMG_8804_IJFR.jpg

On 11/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, tonymwy said:

Hello all!

Thank you for your wisdom and knowledge.

I've studied the piece under a magnifying glass and I'm almost 100% certain it's inks over pencil.

I can see some of the pencil marks which occasionally didn't get covered by the black ink.

It does not appear to be a print or laser generated.

I've attached a few more photos below showing the details better.

Note the photo of the foot - I'm very confident that what I'm looking at are pencil strokes poking out from underneith some of the lines.

In person these pencil strokes appear shiny as they should be - the photo doesn't do it justice.

Any tips on how I go about selling it to a new home who will appreciate it more than me?

Thanks again!

foot.thumb.jpg.13e06969fa82baad8c6a017f774054ce.jpg

IMG_8806_IJFR.jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

IMG_8804_IJFR.jpg

Kind of interesting. 

I wonder if it could be a cover recreation?? Not sure if Wally did those, but I imagine he did if the price was right. 

I'll send you a PM with the name of a person I would go to for this with contact info.