• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CC Auction 11/22/2021
2 2

53 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2021 at 12:49 PM, Robot Man said:

I remember reading Action #1 on the floor of my buddy Gary Coddington’s bedroom as a kid. Wasn’t all that impressed...

If I were focused on the stories instead of the art, I think my focus would be on Bronze Age material. As much as I enjoy GA cover art, most of the stories are a little unsophisticated by today's standards. Actually, the serial newspaper strips generally had some of the best comic writing in that era. People say that Barks's stories were quite good, too, so there were exceptions.

On 11/25/2021 at 7:23 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

If I were focused on the stories instead of the art, I think my focus would be on Bronze Age material. As much as I enjoy GA cover art, most of the stories are a little unsophisticated by today's standards. Actually, the serial newspaper strips generally had some of the best comic writing in that era. People say that Barks's stories were quite good, too, so there were exceptions.

To tell the truth, most GA superhero books get a little boring and formula. As far as DC goes, the early Spectre, Dr. Fate, Sandman and Batman stories are quite fun.

As far as other publishers go, EC, Barks ducks and the Spirit by Eisner are standouts. Sad that a lot of them have fallen behind. These have both great art and stories.