• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CC Auction 11/22/2021
2 2

53 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2021 at 3:44 PM, Bronty said:

How many books or comics about awkward, physically stunted and desperately poor men trying to win the hand of really unattractive women have you read?   How many movies like that have you seen?

I know this isn't what you intended, but I actually think this is the making of a great story.  Done well, I'd be much more interested in this than another fairy tale about "beautiful" people.  Or "average" people that are (shockingly) transformed into being "beautiful".

Undeserved challenges, overcoming adversity, fighting against the worst aspects of society and coming out the other side, on top- these are potent ingredients for a great story.  2c

On 11/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, Robot Man said:

I think Crumb’s work was autobiographical and done for his own fantasies. UGs wern’t done for 12 year old boys. They were specifically for older audiences and clearly marketed as such. 

Crumb was being the anti-comic comic. He thumbed his nose at conventions.

On 11/26/2021 at 3:46 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I know this isn't what you intended, but I actually think this is the making of a great story.  Done well, I'd be much more interested in this than another fairy tale about "beautiful" people.  Or "average" people that are (shockingly) transformed into being "beautiful".

Undeserved challenges, overcoming adversity, fighting against the worst aspects of society and coming out the other side, on top- these are potent ingredients for a great story.  2c

Sure, going against type is interesting, but type exists for a reason

On 11/25/2021 at 11:50 AM, Robot Man said:

The Spirit was also a 22 issue comic book run. Although, the newspaper strip inserts are a bit of a better read. It also ran for about 12 years and was quality from start to end. 

As far as ECs go, my personal preference for a great read are the war titles. Very different than their competitors as they were often very anti war. Incredible attention to detail in the art as well. Very historically accurate. I can't tell you how many times I've read the short Aces High run.

EC war books all day, every day.