• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going to Have a Small Comic book Show. Looking for ideas/thoughts
3 3

147 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2021 at 8:33 PM, fastballspecial said:

Exactly I am not worried about advertising for Cosplay. If they show up great, but its not going to be included. Like other dealers say Cosplayers have no pockets. I checked one local hotel so far, but its was too small at 20x40 during covid thats a mistake. So see the pics below of the mall they have a wide open area in 4 different areas. 
image.png.7adaec8d9abf1d1f16f013ccfd568992.pngimage.png.0741f82364627f9af10391c57ff15345.png

This looks just like the Indio Fashion Mall during business hours 

On 11/30/2021 at 2:54 PM, Mike Bray said:

I'd possibly be interested in tables if you do have any left - since I'm just a bit over 2 hours south of Evansville - I've not set up at an Evansville show in about 6-7 years --

I have not opened up for dealers yet. I have spoken to a couple locally. Until I confirm the date and put a deposit down on the date I am not going to open up for dealers or advertise. In about a week I should have the answers I need. 

I will contact you when I do. I can tell you it will either be May 7th or 14th. Thanks for your interest.

Edited by fastballspecial

I strongly recommend getting flyers into the local comic shops.  Have enough for them to put in the bag with each customer's weekly purchase, and go back before the event in case they need more.  Dealers and the hardcore buyers will turn up no matter what, but they'll be looking for keys and obvious bargains.  If the dealers want to move inventory, you need the casual buyers to turn up.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:12 PM, FineCollector said:

I strongly recommend getting flyers into the local comic shops.  Have enough for them to put in the bag with each customer's weekly purchase, and go back before the event in case they need more.  Dealers and the hardcore buyers will turn up no matter what, but they'll be looking for keys and obvious bargains.  If the dealers want to move inventory, you need the casual buyers to turn up.

Yes that is in the plan in a month or two when I feel everything is ready. I will print up a few 100 fliers.
I have 5 shops in my local area that will give them out I think. I know 3 will easily and
the other 2 I will guilt into because I spend good money there. Ive also got some flea market dealers that will 
help me out and a toy store locally.

On 11/30/2021 at 9:51 PM, Artifiction said:

I'm not a dealer. I'm just a collector wanting to go to some local shows, but If you could get some fliers to me, I'd be glad to distribute some around my area. Every little bit might help?

Sure won't be a problem. PM me your address and I will be making a big batch up in a week or two. 

Currently working on insurance for the show. Would help me a lot more if I owned a store, but there is venue insurance available online been looking at them now. 

Just need a table count from venue and should be good there. Several PMs already and a local shop told me they want to do the show which is great since I do a ton of business with him anyway and he is well known. I am holding off advertising until I get all my ducks in a row for insurance, tables, and set a fee per dealer. What is the average dealer table lately in smaller shows? I am close to what I think I need to charge to break even now once I knock out insurance.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 12/6/2021 at 7:10 PM, MAT73 said:

Your flyer looks great.  Check that date before you print a bunch, though, unless time travel is included with admission!

Welcome to the Boards!

And I'm sure he'll be thrilled  :)

@fastballspecial

On 12/6/2021 at 8:20 PM, fastballspecial said:

I go to meet with the mall manager tomorrow to put down a deposit. I got table numbers as well and I think I can 
after tomorrow know how many dealers I can have as well. Barring any unseen issues I don't know about yet. I am
going to set the date for May 14th. I will know more tomorrow as there are two locations in the mall I can set up.

While its more expensive than I would like I think the pluses outweigh anywhere else I looked so far. I can begin
advertising and printing about 1k of fliers for shops and some boardies that asked me. When this is all said
and done I will list out the costs to give anyone else thinking about doing this. I have some more information
Tuesday or Wed and going forward will update about once a week. 

I still can't believe I am going to attempt this, but it's been on my bucket list for awhile and hopefully going 
forward we can do it a few times a year.

It sounds like responsibility that's achievable and I'm glad your stepping up. I'm sure a lot of people will be grateful ^^

Stop by there today to take measurements and get insurance today. 

I have 2 options basically. One area has a little more light, but less space
while other has more space total in length. See pics below. Really if I get
quite a few dealers I will have no choice, but to pick option 2.

I was told today they have a total of 38 tables with 8 of them being very large.
(Unsure what that means.) I will have to see them upclose to see if they are 6 or 8
foot tables. My plan currently is to give dealers 2 tables each and then decide if
I have enough to give them 3 or not. Depends on how many dealers I can get to 
commit. 

See options below. Option A below

image.thumb.png.f3479ea6b9cf4b75fef7b0555f50a04b.png

Here is option B. Much longer space over 100 feet at least, but lighting the last 20 feet is bad I think.
Unless they can improve lighting which I doubt. I think 75 feet is use able easily. Those shadows look worse
then what they are the skylights give pretty good light just not as good as other area. And both have outlets
in the floor for power. 

image.thumb.png.d6b89515dc58eb9187161891a3bcc7bf.png