• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going to Have a Small Comic book Show. Looking for ideas/thoughts
3 3

147 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2021 at 10:14 PM, sckao said:

Hi,

You need to leave room behind the table for a rack of sorts. The footprint for an A-Frame type rack can vary and a rack may need anywhere from about 2' to 2.5' generally to be stable. (You also need to leave room for the person standing in front of the rack and room for chairs, etc. between their racks and the table.)

The end tables (A and E, etc.) need to become corner units to stop people from going behind the dealer. It will also give the dealer more room and allow you to charge higher prices for those booths.

Generally, Layout B is preferable as dealers will generally not want anyone to be able to go behind their racks if possible. (Layout A will not allow racks behind the tables with enough clearance it seems.)

(If you think part-time dealers/collectors won't have their own racks, you'd be surprised. I had probably 3-4 styles of racks over the years with multiples of each to span double-booths.).

Very good points.

We had discussed closing off the area in Layout B I hadn't mentioned it, but while we were marking off the tables we discussed it. 

In Layout A I think we can still put racks in behind them the problem being only that there will not be dividers in between so I see the issue there I understand what you are saying. We allowed 4 feet of free float and I would estimate from one side to there other side in Layout is about 15 feet. We had to have 4 feet on both sides for fire evac rules. I am sure dealers will adjust the area as they need.

The footprint in Layout B shouldn't be an issue because they have plenty of room to move the tables up front. Layout A maybe more of issue and something we will need to look into obviously. We can widen the square if we need to lengthwise, but we are stuck widthwise. We could switch to an open concept, but that would leave Dealers on the right side vulnerable to theft from the food court area. 

Thanks for the feedback. I expect everyone to have racks so Layout A we may have to make some adjustments. I think Layout B should be fine as dealers can push their tables out more as they need. There may be some issues with benches though if I get that many dealers.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 12/12/2021 at 10:39 PM, thehumantorch said:

Agree to all.  We pretty well need a booth 8 feet deep to set up our rack and have room for a table in front and for us to stand between.  If we're challenged for room sometimes we do an alternate setup where we set up our rack above our tables but that took us a while to perfect and most dealers won't have this ability.

If you can't give all the dealers a 'deep' booth there's nothing stopping you from charging different rates for different depth and/or square footage booths.  We set up at one show that has a narrow dealer aisle and a wider dealer aisle and the promoter naturally charges more for the wider dealer aisle.  That allows dealers who have racks and dealers who require more room to pay a little more for the space.

I know you want to break even on this first show but I would strongly suggest you build in a small profit margin in case you have unexpected expenses let alone reward you for the work.

Lastly, promote promote promote.  Nothing is more important to dealers than a strong attendance of buyers.  I really hope you do well as you've made a great start and your heart is in the right place.

I am sure there some headaches coming I am sure. Layout A might have problems with 8 feet on both sides. I only have 25 feet of width in that area. I can make it longer, but width I can only expand out in some of that area. If that makes sense. 

Layout B we can adjust out so as pointed above we have to close off the front of it. I am factoring in a small amount for
surprises as well. Again this one is a learning experience for me. 

Great advice here I take it all in and make notes accordingly. 

I have started advertising quite a bit last week. This week I will have to slow down due to work. 
Next week I will start hitting the shops again in other towns as well as trying to finish a cheap 
website for those not on FB or IG as well.

I would not let the dealers push their tables out as they wish as this will cause havoc with the way people congregate in front of and on the sides of their booth at the expense of the surrounding dealers. It will also make it easier for theft to happen as the gap between tables will then become non-standard. (That table line is one of the ways you're creating a barrier to entry for people to not cross over to the expensive rack books.)

Some dealers (I used to do this with narrow 48" folding tables.) will also bring their own tables to supplement yours which may mean they can come up with configurations you had not thought of. (It may be a small table there to hold their laptop or receipt box away from the crowd.)

2617635_Black?wid=1200&hei=1200&op_sharp

Edited by sckao

How will the vendors load and unload?  Is there electricity for the tables? Who is providing security? Do the vendors need tax permits? There are literally hundreds of questions you need to answer before you do a show. 

I was at a small Long Island show years ago, when the promoter put two guys who hated each other opposite each other and they spent the whole show arguing and trying to undercut each other. It was very uncomfortable for everyone else around them and the shows promoter handled it badly. 

On 12/13/2021 at 9:31 AM, shadroch said:

I was at a small Long Island show years ago, when the promoter put two guys who hated each other opposite each other and they spent the whole show arguing and trying to undercut each other.

I think this problem will be reduced as the dealer table layout is 2 x 8' long tables wide. Since most independent/smaller dealers only have enough stock to cover 1 8' long table plus 1 wall rack, they will likely have their buddy/helper next to them to vend from the other 8' long dealer's table. I understand how this is a major concern if out of state comic dealer's show up and the promoter does not know that they 'hate' each other since he may not be familiar with their reputations or back-stabbing.

Also, clearly state one's Covid safety precautions and dealer load in/out rules on the web page, FB, IG and/ :rulez: or under FAQ's please.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:31 AM, shadroch said:

How will the vendors load and unload?  Is there electricity for the tables? Who is providing security? Do the vendors need tax permits? There are literally hundreds of questions you need to answer before you do a show. 

I was at a small Long Island show years ago, when the promoter put two guys who hated each other opposite each other and they spent the whole show arguing and trying to undercut each other. It was very uncomfortable for everyone else around them and the shows promoter handled it badly. 

Loading and unloading are simple exits on both ends. Electricity receptacles are inside the square in Layout A and in Layout B may be more challenging. Security is provided by the mall and we have already discussed the issue with management. I think we are doing fine answering
questions sent to us. 

So far I know every dealer signed up and they know my expectations as well which be laid out sometime this next week as official start my sign up.
Several of them either run a brick and mortar or run successful online or are experiences convention dealers.

I seriously doubt we will have that type of problem. If there is an issue I have no problem explaining them the what the expectation is and or showing them the door if really needed which seriously doubt will happen. I don't have a problem being that guy which is what I think you were alluding too.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:23 PM, aardvark88 said:

I think this problem will be reduced as the dealer table layout is 2 x 8' long tables wide. Since most independent/smaller dealers only have enough stock to cover 1 8' long table plus 1 wall rack, they will likely have their buddy/helper next to them to vend from the other 8' long dealer's table. I understand how this is a major concern if out of state comic dealer's show up and the promoter does not know that they 'hate' each other since he may not be familiar with their reputations or back-stabbing.

Also, clearly state one's Covid safety precautions and dealer load in/out rules on the web page, FB, IG and/ :rulez: or under FAQ's please.

Covid rules will be in flux until a month or two before. The load out rules I am currently working on with management there as to how early
we can get it. They are going to let me set up tables Friday night so that will help as well.

Great stuff, FBS!  This post would make for a good journal entry, showing your steps along the way.....curious to see how this unfolds!  Layout B was definitely the better option, even if the lighting isn't great many of us are comic dungeon trolls so we're used to it!  lol

On 12/15/2021 at 7:52 AM, spreads said:

Great stuff, FBS!  This post would make for a good journal entry, showing your steps along the way.....curious to see how this unfolds!  Layout B was definitely the better option, even if the lighting isn't great many of us are comic dungeon trolls so we're used to it!  lol

Well here is the only problem with Layout B and why it might change.

We made a mistake while measuring and didn't pay attention to the fact that there are outlets in the floor in the middle of Layout B. Now if there are outlets on the side we will be fine, but I don't remember so this weekend I will go back and check. In Layout A the outlets are within the square so the dealer can use them if they need.

Id rather make the mistakes now. We can always form a square for Layout B if we have too, but Id like to stick
with the open plan if I can. And unless I get over like 10 dealers its a moot point anyway because we wont need it. 

Dealers don't actually expect or have access to electrical outlets generally in my experience. (Or WiFi) (Plus, think of the nightmare situation if someone actually plugged in a space heater or something. Or someone shorts out and trips the local circuit. That space heater or illegally plugged-in equipment might get you a fine or start a fire.)

That's an additional cost usually. So if you have a subset of booths with electrical access, you can and probably should charge extra for them.

Edited by sckao

On 12/15/2021 at 12:11 PM, fastballspecial said:

Well here is the only problem with Layout B and why it might change.

We made a mistake while measuring and didn't pay attention to the fact that there are outlets in the floor in the middle of Layout B. Now if there are outlets on the side we will be fine, but I don't remember so this weekend I will go back and check. In Layout A the outlets are within the square so the dealer can use them if they need.

Id rather make the mistakes now. We can always form a square for Layout B if we have too, but Id like to stick
with the open plan if I can. And unless I get over like 10 dealers its a moot point anyway because we wont need it. 

What is the hindrance of the outlets, do they stick out of the floor?  Like what sckao below mentioned, I don't think any dealer ever needed outlets or requested them - perhaps it's a nice to have if you want to charge your phone?   I would be stunned if you didn't get at least 10 dealers.....

On 12/16/2021 at 7:25 AM, spreads said:

What is the hindrance of the outlets, do they stick out of the floor?  Like what sckao below mentioned, I don't think any dealer ever needed outlets or requested them - perhaps it's a nice to have if you want to charge your phone?   I would be stunned if you didn't get at least 10 dealers.....

No they are in the middle of the floor and dont stick out.   Yes cell phones and laptops were the main reason why.  Will see. We have awhile to go. I have more work to do this weekend and more shops to send out flyers too.

Quick update. Hit all types of Facebook comic book sites this week. 
Craigslist and a couple of convention sites and still need to get a several more. 

Called some shops in KY to make sure I could send them some flyers and they
agreed. I have one shop locally so far that is on the fence. (I will roast them if they
refuse.)

Told local shops will put out a map at entrance table for how to get to their shops
for people out of town. That got me easy buy in. 

After Christmas all tackle a light web page and a dealer facebook page that will be
private just for dealers. Then after that just keep pushing advertising. Got ahold of 
another tri state comic show about 90 miles away and they agreed to advertise as well.
Will tackle Louisville next week as I haven't advertised there yet as well as STL and Indy.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:55 PM, fastballspecial said:

Just a quick update. I now have flyers in every local shop except Louisville, KY which I am heading
to tomorrow. Most of the shops have been very agreeable with this because honestly it helps them too
at least local ones. I think its 14 shops right now I covered in multiple cities. 

I am looking for anyone in STL, Terre Haute, or Southern Illinois I can send some flyers too as well. 
@WeR138

I will have a website up in a couple of weeks and a private Dealer FB page up in next few days. Holidays
have slowed me down a bit. 

Even my stuffy/crabby shops have embraced it which is really nice. Makes the hard work worth it. 
All try to update every few weeks.

Sounds like you're building up for quite a turnout!