• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going to Have a Small Comic book Show. Looking for ideas/thoughts
3 3

147 posts in this topic

@Artboy99, @kimik, @thehumantorch, @500Club regularly set-up at a small show in Edmonton held at one of our Banquet Hall Facilities.  The tables are cheap. The show is a mix of comics, toys, and pop culture items.  It's well attended, especially since we haven't had a large show for a couple of years.  I've heard them mention that setting up and loading are easy.

I think admission is $7 CAD or a donation to the local food bank.

Karl, Ryan, Brian, and Dave, what makes this local show successful?

On 3/30/2022 at 3:05 PM, piper said:

@Artboy99, @kimik, @thehumantorch, @500Club regularly set-up at a small show in Edmonton held at one of our Banquet Hall Facilities.  The tables are cheap. The show is a mix of comics, toys, and pop culture items.  It's well attended, especially since we haven't had a large show for a couple of years.  I've heard them mention that setting up and loading are easy.

-well run by the organizer who has an email list of attendees so he can easily communicate with them.

-He advertises, I have heard commercials on the radio and I see handouts in comic stores.

-excellent communication by the organizer. Other show runners you can send them an email or call them and never hear back!

-easy load in and load out. The stairs are not ideal, but there isn't many of them.

-the show is small, yet big enough that it has enough vendors to make it worth attending 

-on site catering for food

-low table cost. I had 3 tables and it cost me $315 CDN

-available bus route for non-drivers

-lots of free parking

-The first show of the new year

-It has been going now for 10 years so it has an established history of being a great show.

All this said the organizer has tried to do multiple shows a year and the only ones that seem to work are his March/ November shows. The March show is always the best one because it is the first local show of the new year. The June one is ok but it isn't necessary IMHO, the August one failed because our city has a short summer and suffers from poor attendance.

Edited by Artboy99

On 3/30/2022 at 3:05 PM, piper said:

Well, we just set up at one of those shows a week ago.  The promoter has runs shows for many years and has a strong core of return vendors and a lot of return buyers.  He does a good job promoting the show and that's key, lot of buyers makes vendors happy and makes it easy for him to sell out his tables.  When the doors open we have a steady stream of buyers for 3 hours.  Promote, promote, promote.  Get bums through the door.