• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your single favorite Bronze Age Cover: You must only pick one
8 8

216 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2021 at 7:02 PM, zoso99 said:

That is right up there with the two-pairs of pants conundrum of Batman #244.

Haha yes, but in Superman's case the breaking of the chains is a truly classic image that is closely (if not uniquely) associated with the character.  Every time someone does another take on it, it's an homage to those who'd done it before.  I love it, don't get me wrong.  But that guy really does get himself accidentally tied up with chains a lot.  hm

On 11/23/2021 at 6:12 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Haha yes, but in Superman's case the breaking of the chains is a truly classic image that is closely (if not uniquely) associated with the character.  Every time someone does another take on it, it's an homage to those who'd done it before.  I love it, don't get me wrong.  But that guy really does get himself accidentally tied up with chains a lot.  hm

I had the issue raw, but I parted with it in secret Santa on the boards, the one year I did that.... so I havent read it.

I always assumed that superman was just showing off.

Or

Was in a predicament where, the allusion by being bound by kryptonite was a ruse, until he needed to break free and save the day! lol

Sometimes, when I havent read the story, I presume the way I'd write it.

Now I need to get a copy!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/23/2021 at 2:49 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Do you blame the colorist?  Or do you blame Adams for not penciling in some leg hair?

Blame isn't the right word. I'm pretty sure Adams did the whole cover coloring and all. He could have gone with a loin cloth. Or since the whole fight scene showed Bats with the tights and panties, it would have been better to just have Ra's holding the cape and upper shirt. Common sense tells us the grey part of the bat suit is like a one piece jump suit. How would he keep his shirt tucked in all the time?

Doesn't matter now, I guess. Still a rockin' cover.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, Randall Ries said:

Blame isn't the right word. I'm pretty sure Adams did the whole cover coloring and all. He could have gone with a loin cloth. Or since the whole fight scene showed Bats with the tights and panties, it would have been better to just have Ra's holding the cape and upper shirt. Common sense tells us the grey part of the bat suit is like a one piece jump suit. How would he keep his shirt tucked in all the time?

Doesn't matter now, I guess. Still a rockin' cover.

I had no idea that Adams did his own colors -- was that common for him?  Did any other artists do this?

On 11/23/2021 at 7:12 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I always associated it with a publicity stunt. Like a circus trick for the kiddies. Superman 11 was the first cover to do the chains thing, I believe. Or actually the early Action Comics upper left corner thingy.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I had the issue raw, but I parted with it in secret Santa on the boards, the one year I did that.... so I havent read it.

I always assumed that superman was just showing off.

Or

Was in a predicament where, the allusion by being bound by kryptonite was a ruse, until he needed to break free and save the day! lol

Sometimes, when I havent read the story, I presume the way I'd write it.

Now I need to get a copy!

Kryptonite went inert due to some ridiculous chain reaction causing ALL of it everywhere to be neutralized. So, the cover was a riff on that. And the title "Kryptonite Nevermore". That didn't last long. Nothing ever does in the DC world. Let's write a long, drawn out multiverse story for decades, culminated with Crisis On Infinite Earths, reset the universe, then undo it all and try to do it again.

On 11/23/2021 at 6:32 PM, Randall Ries said:

Kryptonite went inert due to some ridiculous chain reaction causing ALL of it everywhere to be neutralized. So, the cover was a riff on that. And the title "Kryptonite Nevermore". That didn't last long. Nothing ever does in the DC world. Let's write a long, drawn out multiverse story for decades, culminated with Crisis On Infinite Earths, reset the universe, then undo it all and try to do it again.

Ah yes, I was around for zero hour, and I have some vague concepts of these intertwined stories. Seems patience for me was wearing thin even then, and to have to undo it all to build back up was just :goodvsevil:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/23/2021 at 7:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah yes, I was around for zero hour, and too have vague concepts of this intertwined stories. Seems patience for me was wearing thin even then, and to have to undo it all to build back up was just :goodvsevil:

They could have just left it alone after Crisis. But by now - since that was 1985-1986, if Batman was 20 when the single universe was the only universe, he would be 55 by now. Or much more realistically at least 60. Time to kill the universe again.

Although there was little to like about Batman: DK III The Master Race, I liked the simple solution of The Lazarus Pit and having Clark dunk Bruce into it after Bruce was killed by the Kandorians. There. Takes care of that. Bruce is young again.

On 11/23/2021 at 2:49 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Do you blame the colorist?  Or do you blame Adams for not penciling in some leg hair?

I tought everybody knew that batman shaves his legs lol easier to put on the spandex lol