• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Page unstapled Grade reduction....
3 3

23 posts in this topic

So I have an amazing spiderman 16 , it is relatively low grade I would estimate a 3.5-4.5 , lets call it a 4 for the sake of discussion.

This is my assessment from the overall outer appearance . 

It also has a page that is not stapled , the whole book is complete , there is nothing severely wrong with the inside of the book save this unstapled page which sits right 

where it is supposed to . 

Assuming the book is a 4.0 in all other aspects , how much does this free standing page hurt the grade? 

Thanks!

PS my guess is the deduction would be more severe if it was a 9.8 in all other aspects save the loose page ? 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:44 AM, Corallas said:

It also has a page that is not stapled ...... free standing page ...... loose page.

Are you trying to tell us that your book includes one completely detached leaf?  (shrug)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but your pics suggest that this is not a detached leaf (2 pages) but a detached wrap (4 pages) -- specifically, a detached centerfold.  Is this correct?

Edited by zzutak
Stray Image Removed

On 11/23/2021 at 3:14 PM, zzutak said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but your pics suggest that this is not a detached leaf (2 pages) but a detached wrap (4 pages) -- specifically, a detached centerfold.  Is this correct?

Oh didnt understand the difference and have never heard the term wrap before . I thought a leaf was what you define as a wrap .

So yes it is only 1 acual piece but yes would be 4 pages and I believe a wrap using your definition .

On 11/23/2021 at 3:15 PM, Funnybooks said:

a detached page(s) is acceptable in the 4.0 grade range of your scenario

Thanks for the pics

oh interesting , would it receive some type of incomplete grade or other notification of damage or abnormality on the cover ?

On 11/23/2021 at 3:30 PM, zzutak said:

z1.thumb.jpg.368bed0541a0960647e064fa9a657e08.jpg

Haha and a 4.0 . Yes I guess it does look like the center page , didnt realize that would be called the centerfold in a regular book . I am guessing this page is more likely

to be loose overall based on how the pages are arranged . Nice fantastic four book btw.

Hmm, from the photos I'm not sure I'd agree with the statement that there's "nothing wrong" with the inside of the book. The centerfold looks torn with some rust transfer and the staples look to be somewhere between rusty and deteriorating; those aren't production defects. I'd like to see scans of the front & back, but there's enough structural stuff going on that I'd say a 4.0 looks *highly* unlikely.

On 11/23/2021 at 4:43 PM, Point Five said:

Hmm, from the photos I'm not sure I'd agree with the statement that there's "nothing wrong" with the inside of the book. The centerfold looks torn with some rust transfer and the staples look to be somewhere between rusty and deteriorating; those aren't production defects. I'd like to see scans of the front & back, but there's enough structural stuff going on that I'd say a 4.0 looks *highly* unlikely.

agreed..there's more than meets the eye outside of the detached pages

On 11/23/2021 at 3:43 PM, Point Five said:

Exactly.

Not sure how much CGC counts off for a detached centerfold, but I’ve got a book with 2 centerfolds detached. To me, it looks like an 8.5-9.0(readers here are free to disagree on that), but the centerfold detachments knocked it down to a 6.5

60D73F2F-2E27-473B-A414-B939DB7B5934.jpeg

9D0FE18D-343F-4861-9615-693DBAFFFBEE.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 11/23/2021 at 4:43 PM, Point Five said:

I acually did a PGM on this a while back , here is the link to it . 

Have to get it cleaned and pressed as well before submission. 

On 11/23/2021 at 6:35 PM, Corallas said:

I acually did a PGM on this a while back , here is the link to it . 

Have to get it cleaned and pressed as well before submission. 

Oh yep, that's helpful. The front does look pretty nice and the staples look better than I was anticipating. (thumbsu

I'd guess 3.0/3.5 range, factoring in the interior defects. Just my 2c but I'd be a little nervous about cleaning/pressing, as not sure the grade can go *that* much higher and I'd hate for any more detachment to happen at the staples.