• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jan Heritage Auction putting up some nice artwork
4 4

414 posts in this topic

I love how many of the comic listings are at $1 still, but the OA listings are already into 4-, 5- and 6-figures already. 

Kind of reminds me of how little dogs try to aim as high as possible to get other dogs to think they're bigger than they really are.

On 12/5/2021 at 3:23 AM, romitaman said:

The consignor contacted me and showed me this and the previous page where spidey turns on the machine to create a new costume......I offered him 250k cash for this page and the previous page and he said Heritage told him he will do better with them so he consigned them.....So we shall see how he made out.

The two Secret Wars 8 Spidey pages now at $210k next bid with 19 days left in the auction...looks like the offer of $250k may have been a little...low.

On 12/25/2021 at 1:23 AM, Bill C said:

Wow- now at 234K for both, with 19.5 days left. Looks like we are seeing.

I actually have a black marker here, and I can color inside the lines... time to start changing some characters on my art pages to black costume Spidey.

Just a guess here, but the origin page of the red and blue Spider-Man costume is worth more that the origin page of the black costume.:goodvsevil:

The MSSW pages are cool, but I wonder if the 1st appearance pages are worth more than these origin pages, which appeared many months later?!?

On 1/1/2022 at 1:31 PM, Bill C said:

I'm not a money guy so can't explain it as well as others, but there is a line of thought that states while the dollar decreases in perceived (as it's not backed up) value, due to the excess printing of money and what not, tangible items (collectibles, homes, equipment, etc) become more practical/valuable. I'm guessing that while the obvious world wide life craziness continues, art prices continue to rise (although you would think on the surface that priorities should really go elsewhere). I know someone earlier on I believe in this thread felt the opposite would occur, so YMMV.

If I can take a crack at it, the greater the number of dollars (for example) in circulation which are available to purchase the same amount of goods results in a need to spend more dollars to acquire the goods because each dollar no longer has the same intrinsic value (the “backed up” part). A classic example is found with hyperinflation where a bank just keeps printing money, like pre-WW2 Germany, but no more goods are added to the mix.

There are lots of problems with monetarist theory, including what qualifies as “dollars in circulation”. Does it just mean cash (M0), deposits in banks and demand deposits, credit cards, etc. (as I recall, the various versions of money run from M0 to M7, but it’s been a while for me). While it would be easy to point to our deficit spending as increasing the dollars in circulation, don’t forget that we have the World’s leading currency which soaks them up because our economy is so strong.

A simpler explanation is that prices are always “sticky downward”. When a price hits a certain point, people consider it the real price and will no longer sell for less, unless they must or see the light. That leads to stagnant markets and “secret sales” which temporarily preserve the price. Right now, however, we are still seeing price rises because people can charge more and get away with it. To some extent, they are making up for lost pricing power over the prior 2 years. Even low cost labor markets are showing price increases. But, lower economic-scale people are now feeling the bite, and that will slow pricing pressure when demand slackens off—and that moves up the economic ladder.

Bottom line: prices will stabilize or go lower in 12 to 18 months.

On 1/2/2022 at 2:31 AM, Bill C said:
On 1/2/2022 at 12:42 AM, batman_fan said:

The cabal has the collapse scheduled for

2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

I'm not a money guy so can't explain it as well as others, but there is a line of thought that states while the dollar decreases in perceived (as it's not backed up) value, due to the excess printing of money and what not, tangible items (collectibles, homes, equipment, etc) become more practical/valuable. I'm guessing that while the obvious world wide life craziness continues, art prices continue to rise (although you would think on the surface that priorities should really go elsewhere). I know someone earlier on I believe in this thread felt the opposite would occur, so YMMV.

You've got it right.  Excess money always finds a home, usually in the form of lifting prices of everything. 

But now the Fed is supposed to be draining all of that excess money from the system, which should therefore result in imploding prices, particularly after their spectacular gains the last few years.

Or so some say.  They are pointing to plunging prices in the equally overheated sports card market as a textbook example of what happens to asset bubbles when the Fed takes away the punch bowl.  But why is this not happening in the comics or OA market, and more importantly never has?  E.g., Volcker jacking up interest rates in 1979-80, Greenspan in 1994, Bernanke in 2006? 

On 1/2/2022 at 6:47 AM, Rick2you2 said:

A simpler explanation is that prices are always “sticky downward”. When a price hits a certain point, people consider it the real price and will no longer sell for less, unless they must or see the light. That leads to stagnant markets and “secret sales” which temporarily preserve the price.

So why is the sports card market plunging?  Surely people there must engage in the same shenanigans as comic or OA collectors?