• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC plans to start hosting grading contests on a regular basis!
10 10

129 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hey all:

Matt Nelson and I have been discussing the possibilities of CGC hosting some grading contests.   These contests will most likely start in January.  Here is CGC’s proposed grading contest. The scoring format has been used by CGC over the past several years to test convention attendees and dealers, as well as CGC graders in-house.

• The contest will take place four times a year.
  • Images of the front and back of 15 books will be posted on the boards to begin the contest. Each participant will PM all 15 grades at once to Mike.
  • Participants have one week to PM their grades before the contest closes. The final grades and individual/collective results will be posted the following week.
  • The lower the score, the higher the ranking. Nailing the grade equals 0 points; each grade off in either direction adds a point. Example: guessing a 7.5 or 9.6 on a 9.0 garners 3 points.
  • Those who place in the top ten will immediately participate in a second grading round, grading five additional books for final ranking and prizes. 

CGC was planning on offering a very nice grand prize, that will most likely be grading credit.  If other prizes are donated by contestants, they would be divided up by 2nd through 5th place.  The dividing of the donated prizes between 2nd through 5th place isn't etched in stone yet.  We are open to opinions on how to divide up these prizes.    

Would you prefer that we do:

1 contest with Modern age books, 1 with copper age books, 1 with silver age books and 1 with golden age books, or have each grading contest contain mixed aged books?

I’m good either way as well, although having mixed ages in one contest might be a bit more challenging for some.  It takes a different mindset when it comes to older books, i.e. Moderns vs. Silvers.  Gotta use different sets of brain cells for the different Ages!!!🤣🤣

F208AF8F-08C3-4AAF-A9C5-7C9C92826D2B.gif

On 11/23/2021 at 5:35 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hey all:

Matt Nelson and I have been discussing the possibilities of CGC hosting some grading contests.   These contests will most likely start in January.  Here is CGC’s proposed grading contest. The scoring format has been used by CGC over the past several years to test convention attendees and dealers, as well as CGC graders in-house.

• The contest will take place four times a year.
  • Images of the front and back of 15 books will be posted on the boards to begin the contest. Each participant will PM all 15 grades at once to Mike.
  • Participants have one week to PM their grades before the contest closes. The final grades and individual/collective results will be posted the following week.
  • The lower the score, the higher the ranking. Nailing the grade equals 0 points; each grade off in either direction adds a point. Example: guessing a 7.5 or 9.6 on a 9.0 garners 3 points.
  • Those who place in the top ten will immediately participate in a second grading round, grading five additional books for final ranking and prizes. 

CGC was planning on offering a very nice grand prize, that will most likely be grading credit.  If other prizes are donated by contestants, they would be divided up by 2nd through 5th place.  The dividing of the donated prizes between 2nd through 5th place isn't etched in stone yet.  We are open to opinions on how to divide up these prizes.    

Would you prefer that we do:

1 contest with Modern age books, 1 with copper age books, 1 with silver age books and 1 with golden age books, or have each grading contest contain mixed aged books?

mixed books.  GA and SA usually are the funnest to grade.  Any way they could have some alternate prize for ppl that dont submit?  I'll do my best but if top prize is something I cant use it kind of dilutes the fun for me.

On 11/23/2021 at 6:53 PM, Galen130 said:

You don’t want much… :roflmao:

48D54AD8-A647-4643-8752-CBC35D51260D.gif

The values of those books is comparable to what have been offered in the past by green ham and other boardies.  Its not outlandish.  I won 2 $200 books in one contest and I placed 11th.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:56 PM, kav said:

The values of those books is comparable to what have been offered in the past by green ham and other boardies.  Its not outlandish.  I won 2 $200 books in one contest and I placed 11th.

I know…just being a wise-arse. :kidaround:

🤣🤣

On 11/23/2021 at 6:57 PM, Galen130 said:

I know…just being a wise-arse. :kidaround:

🤣🤣

I think the books I won also came with a $20 bill if I remember correctly.  I've donated things in the $200 range and my pockets are by no means deep.

On 11/23/2021 at 8:02 PM, sevans1979 said:

That’s what she said 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:03 PM, kav said:

Reported!

Notified!! Corralled and snitched to!!  Given cookies!!!

96598D90-9C27-45E9-816A-D69F157FF1F5.gif