• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC plans to start hosting grading contests on a regular basis!
10 10

129 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2021 at 5:51 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

We shouldn't limit it to the top winners. We should count how many prizes there are, then 1st place gets first pick and so on until we run out of prizes.

That way we don't discourage people from wanting to donate a prize. If everyone donated, essentially everyone would get a prize depending on how well they did in the contest. We just shouldn't make donating a prize mandatory!

That way if someone is new and wants to test how well they grade or place, they can wait to donate a prize until the next contest. Especially if we're going to do 4 contest's a year, as hinted at.

On 11/25/2021 at 12:09 PM, kav said:

The top scorer gets his pick of the prizes.  If he doesnt want what CGC offers, he is free to pick something else.  On down the line for 2nd place 3rd etc.

I'm tending to agree with these two. Also, thank you! I'm very excited CGC is doing this :whee:

The original contests before I started playing would have only one to three winners at most take all of the prizes.  I chose to expand it to the top 10 and got a lot of grief from people at that time as people thought it would just turn into a raffle and less of a contest. They argued that it shouldn't be like T ball where everyone gets a participation trophy.  Heck, Nik used to give a cash prize to the winner on top of all the other prizes. 

If people want to limit the prize pool to top 10, 20, 25 that's fine with me.  If they want anyone who donated to be able to get a prize, I am fine with that too.  I just think the winner of the whole contest should get the CGC prize as well as the first pick of the donated prizes.  That's just my opinion and like some things we all have one. :insane: 

I know I will never win a contest again, my eyes aren't what they were 10+ years ago, but it is still fun to play. :shiftyeyes:

On 12/1/2021 at 1:15 PM, toro said:

The original contests before I started playing would have only one to three winners at most take all of the prizes.  I chose to expand it to the top 10 and got a lot of grief from people at that time as people thought it would just turn into a raffle and less of a contest. They argued that it shouldn't be like T ball where everyone gets a participation trophy.  Heck, Nik used to give a cash prize to the winner on top of all the other prizes. 

If people want to limit the prize pool to top 10, 20, 25 that's fine with me.  If they want anyone who donated to be able to get a prize, I am fine with that too.  I just think the winner of the whole contest should get the CGC prize as well as the first pick of the donated prizes.  That's just my opinion and like some things we all have one. :insane: 

I know I will never win a contest again, my eyes aren't what they were 10+ years ago, but it is still fun to play. :shiftyeyes:

Your too modest.

image.jpeg.f44692f815a3e90576e7758b0708e0d7.jpeg

I'm confused about participants donating prizes. 

If CGC is going to prize a winner, a definite alternative to book submission benefits must be presented

I dont believe in participation trophies, unless they are presented in the form of a badge or some other title thats forum related.

A tier structure seems the fairest way to award winners and it should be clear what prizes are available for what tier.

On 12/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, The Meta said:

I'm confused about participants donating prizes. 

If CGC is going to prize a winner, a definite alternative to book submission benefits must be presented

I dont believe in participation trophies, unless they are presented in the form of a badge or some other title thats forum related.

A tier structure seems the fairest way to award winners and it should be clear what prizes are available for what tier.

In the past there was a ranking of how well everyone did, that was the picking order for prizes  (shrug)

If there weren't enough prizes donated for everyone to pick one, then tough noogies.

On 12/12/2021 at 3:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

In the past there was a ranking of how well everyone did, that was the picking order for prizes  (shrug)

If there weren't enough prizes donated for everyone to pick one, then tough noogies.

Yeah but now CGC is taking direct control 

On 12/12/2021 at 4:26 PM, The Meta said:

Yeah but now CGC is taking direct control 

Yes annd they said they would rank everyone, and the top 5 would go on to round two for a shot at the credit to cgc for #1 place.

Still 4 times a year is a little much for me to donate a prize everytime, so the subject is a little moot for me.  :(

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/12/2021 at 3:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ys, and they said they would rank everyone, and the top 5 would go on to round two for a shot at the credit to cgc for #1 place.

Still 4 times a year is a little much for me to donate a prize Everytime, so the subject is a little moot for me.  :(

That's what I mean. I don't understand how people could donate, or what motivation there would be to do so

I guess, unless CGC sponsored people to put up prizes 

On 12/12/2021 at 4:40 PM, The Meta said:

That's what I mean. I don't understand how people could donate, or what motivation there would be to do so

I guess, unless CGC sponsored people to put up prizes 

Lol I understand 

Although it's worked in the past, and we've all had a good time. It was good enough the way it was, it's also the only reason cgc is considering hosting one now  (shrug)

I'm sure they'll iron out the details  :)

On 12/12/2021 at 3:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol I understand 

Although it's worked in the past, and we've all had a good time. It was good enough the way it was, it's also the only reason cgc is considering hosting one now  (shrug)

I'm sure they'll iron out the details  :)

I sense you feel I'm coming from a place where I don't understand why we have the contests. I think it's an awesome idea and have had a lot of fun with it in the past

Just with CGC being directly involved, wonder how that changes the dynamics