• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC plans to start hosting grading contests on a regular basis!
10 10

129 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2021 at 11:11 PM, oakman29 said:

Asasupersoldieryoucanhangwith15measelylittlebookscantyou!

I can't find this word at dictionary.com

On 11/24/2021 at 1:51 AM, Galen130 said:

Thts bcause its a sentnce. @kav @Comics4All

Sentences have spaces between the words, unless your space key doesn't work or you don't know where the spaces belong.

This sounds great, it's been a while since I've been part of one of these. I vote for a mixed format.

On 11/24/2021 at 1:35 PM, universal soldier said:

This sounds great, it's been a while since I've been part of one of these. I vote for a mixed format.

+1

On 11/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 11/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

@CGC Mike What's the source of the books? 

We're not going to reveal the source but, we will be getting permission from the Submitter(s).

So the submitters whose books get used in the contest can't participate because they will know the grades? 

On 11/23/2021 at 6:35 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hey all:

Matt Nelson and I have been discussing the possibilities of CGC hosting some grading contests.   These contests will most likely start in January.  Here is CGC’s proposed grading contest. The scoring format has been used by CGC over the past several years to test convention attendees and dealers, as well as CGC graders in-house.

• The contest will take place four times a year.
  • Images of the front and back of 15 books will be posted on the boards to begin the contest. Each participant will PM all 15 grades at once to Mike.
  • Participants have one week to PM their grades before the contest closes. The final grades and individual/collective results will be posted the following week.
  • The lower the score, the higher the ranking. Nailing the grade equals 0 points; each grade off in either direction adds a point. Example: guessing a 7.5 or 9.6 on a 9.0 garners 3 points.
  • Those who place in the top ten will immediately participate in a second grading round, grading five additional books for final ranking and prizes. 

CGC was planning on offering a very nice grand prize, that will most likely be grading credit.  If other prizes are donated by contestants, they would be divided up by 2nd through 5th place.  The dividing of the donated prizes between 2nd through 5th place isn't etched in stone yet.  We are open to opinions on how to divide up these prizes.    

Would you prefer that we do:

1 contest with Modern age books, 1 with copper age books, 1 with silver age books and 1 with golden age books, or have each grading contest contain mixed aged books?

Mixed aged books

@CGC Mike

Rest assured, mixed is the prevailing opinion thus far, it's what we're used to :) 

We've been spoiled @BlowUpTheMoon @thirdgreenham Thanks So Much, when I first started here, it's all I could talk about :x 

On 11/24/2021 at 12:21 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 11/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 11/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

@CGC Mike What's the source of the books? 

We're not going to reveal the source but, we will be getting permission from the Submitter(s).

So the submitters whose books get used in the contest can't participate because they will know the grades? 

Have you seen how long it takes them to grade books? 

:baiting:

I vote for mixed ages.

@CGC Mike, would it be possible, after the contest was all said and done, to have the grader(s) of the books give a synopsis on why the books received the grades that they did? Maybe not for every one, but perhaps a random few?
I think it would be interesting to see the insight. 

• Administrator
On 11/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, DeadOne said:

@CGC Mike, would it be possible, after the contest was all said and done, to have the grader(s) of the books give a synopsis on why the books received the grades that they did? Maybe not for every one, but perhaps a random few?
I think it would be interesting to see the insight. 

That is a possibility.